what are you giving up/doing

Options
Lent is coming up next week and it got me to think what I'll give up next week. I always give up sweets, which I will do again. But I always try to do something else. Any ideas??

Replies

• areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Lent is coming up next week and it got me to think what I'll give up next week. I always give up sweets, which I will do again. But I always try to do something else. Any ideas??
  • njksharp
    njksharp Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am giving up wine :(! Hopefully though it will help me lose a few extra stubborn last pounds.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I give up camel racing:bigsmile: and my husband gives up cuddling after love making:grumble:

Just kidding. I'm going to give up sweets this year, and then make it to church every Sunday and holy day during lent.

I think for my kids I'm going to try to convince them that being nice to each other will be a good sacrifice to make.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you are really honoring Lent then you need to give up something that will be a genuine sacrifice....so give up what will really be a genuine challenge...if it happens to also be good for you, so be it
  • njksharp
    njksharp Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hahaha, I seriously am going to pass the getting along thing to my kids this year they have been horrible!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options

OK, this is a hard one. I always have a hard time following through on my Lent sacrifices. But not this year!!! I have decided I will also give up Sweets. Our priest says it's ok to cheat on Sundays though. :happy:

Hopefully those who commit will give a weekly update.

As for something else why don't you pick something that gives you a real hard time. (e.g. for me it would be my 9 p.m. bag of chips) O.k there is my 2nd thing. I will not give up my glass of wine though!!!:drinker:
  • jaglover04
    jaglover04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I normally do sweets too, but since i'm watching what i eat i feel like it wouldn't be that big this year, so i'm sticking to the go to church every sunday and holy day that i do each year and i'm thinking of giving up red meat....but i can't decide GOOD POST like the idea of getting new ideas lol!! I was thinking about beer, b/c i do love it too much, but not sure if i could do it or not lol isn't that awful, i just like my treat lol!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    . Our priest says it's ok to cheat on Sundays though. :happy:

is he over weight?
  • jaglover04
    jaglover04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    haha, i've heard that both ways, but the majority is that its ok!! My mom use to say only for kids under 18, but from the church i've heard its ok for sundays!!
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm giving up wine - but I've heard that you can "cheat" on St. Paddy's day:drinker:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    . Our priest says it's ok to cheat on Sundays though. :happy:

is he over weight?

Well now that you mention it ... but, I am still going to listen to him or my soul may be in jepordy!!!!:laugh:
  • areay
    Options
    Thanks for all the great response! That was fast! We should keep this going throughout the 40 days and see who sticks with it. I'm still trying to decide....
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    We should keep this going throughout the 40 days and see who sticks with it. I'm still trying to decide....

sounds like too many opportunities to cheat....actually Lent does not allow for cheating....it didnt work then but now we are a bunch of cheaters?
  • areay
    Options
    i've never cheated on lent! it is a good time to reflect and give something small up for something much bigger
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Cheat at Lent? I'm sure Jesus didn't get to cheat in the desert... "I've resisted the devil thus far, but hey, it's a Sunday..." :noway: And surely if you'd cheat any day, it wouldn't be on the Sabbath?

Personally, I'm not religious as such- and because of my agnostic ways, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be somewhat.. blasphemous? Hypocritical? What's the word I'm looking for? ... to commit to Lent? I'm already torn about Christmas (I won't get into it) and don't participate in Easter. And whilst I like the idea of Lent as a form of self-discipline, I don't know if I'd feel right using religion for personal gain...
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Cheat at Lent? I'm sure Jesus didn't get to cheat in the desert... "I've resisted the devil thus far, but hey, it's a Sunday..." :noway: And surely if you'd cheat any day, it wouldn't be on the Sabbath?

Personally, I'm not religious as such- and because of my agnostic ways, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be somewhat.. blasphemous? Hypocritical? What's the word I'm looking for? ... to commit to Lent? I'm already torn about Christmas (I won't get into it) and don't participate in Easter. And whilst I like the idea of Lent as a form of self-discipline, I don't know if I'd feel right using religion for personal gain...

oh what the hell...go ahead...if you don't believe the stuff anyway then you won't get hit by lightening...its all good no matter what

(said with love and humor and a bit of sarcasm for any Judges watching)
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i'm giving up driving my car, and i'm walking, biking or using public transit everywhere, this is going to be a big one, it's a huge sacrifice but I wanted to get in the environmental aspect as well, it's sooo easy to just jump in the car when it's -20 to go to the store, the gym, work, kids school, this affects my children as well, because they rely on me to drive em to school, day care, dance lessons, music...and so on.....lol, my daughter is giving up her cell phone, this is probably more of sacrifice then me giving up my car!! lol and I agree with Dave, it should be something you would truly miss.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    We should keep this going throughout the 40 days and see who sticks with it. I'm still trying to decide....

sounds like too many opportunities to cheat....actually Lent does not allow for cheating....it didnt work then but now we are a bunch of cheaters?

Growing up, our church did not allow for Sundays off... But now the church's stance on it is that Sundays are meant for rejoicing. Therefore, the reprieve from Lenten sacrifice.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    [
    Growing up, our church did not allow for Sundays off... But now the church's stance on it is that Sundays are meant for rejoicing. Therefore, the reprieve from Lenten sacrifice.

the Church and the people running it do alot of things differently these days...some of it is not so good and some is very good.....confusing how the rules made 2000 years ago can be changed so easily....some things should remain pure, whether you beleive them or not
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

the Church and the people running it do alot of things differently these days...some of it is not so good and some is very good.....confusing how the rules made 2000 years ago can be changed so easily....some things should remain pure, whether you beleive them or not

lol... I remember when I started going back to church (when I met my now husband, 6 years ago), and had a hard time adjusting... I still clasp my hands to pray, because I can't raise them the way they do now. And there's no more kneeling during communion. When did that change? I miss it....