Intermitten fasting

Options
Annabelx1985
Annabelx1985 Posts: 22 Member
Evening everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has tried intermitten fasting? Have you had good results?

Thanks 😁😁😁

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Well, yes. Intermitten and intramural sports go hand in hand. Someone will be around shortly to tell you about their results. Mine, not so much.
  • Wjames43
    Wjames43 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a few weeks. Wasnt for me. 😎
  • Wjames43
    Wjames43 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Initially lost to much weight as I only wanted to reduce body fat but needed to maintain muscle. I struggled to get all my calories in within the 8 hr window.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It works for some, especially those who don't/can't eat in the morning. It doesn't work for others. If it helps you keep to your calories, then that's awesome.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    It works well if it complements your natural eating style/body rhythms. If you don't tend to be hungry in the morning, or like to have bigger meals when you do eat, it can work really well. There's nothing about it that magically creates weight loss... it just helps some limit their calories by limiting their eating window.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It works for some, especially those who don't/can't eat in the morning. It doesn't work for others. If it helps you keep to your calories, then that's awesome.

Didn't mean to copy... was typing when you posted ;)
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like 14:10 or 16:8 because having a "rule" about when I can eat keeps me from mindlessly grabbing dessert at 9pm with my husband or eating because my toddler is eating at 6am. To be fair my husband needs way more calories than me and a toddler needs to eat much more often- it helps me to break bad habits. I've been told there's nothing special about IF though. It's just helping cut general calories.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Well, yes. Intermitten and intramural sports go hand in hand. Someone will be around shortly to tell you about their results. Mine, not so much.

Too cute. I wonder how many got that?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Evening everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has tried intermitten fasting? Have you had good results?

Thanks 😁😁😁

Intermittent Fasting is - in a word (well, two words, to be precise) nothing more that an eating schedule. That is, you fast for 14 hours and your window for eating is 10 hours. Lots of people will end up doing the 16:8 which means that you fast for 16 hours and eat within that eight hour time frame.

Lots of people ignorantly and mistakenly call it the "skip breakfast diet". No....it is not a "diet". At all. Not one bit. It has nothing to do with caloric intake (other than providing the time frame in which it is okay to do so) and it has nothing to do with caloric surplus or caloric deficit. It is simply the schedule by which you fast/feast! Careful with the feast part! LOL!

I have done it....I also follow the Ketogenic Lifestyle because I have high A1C and am insulin resistant. Intermittent Fasting is great for that....and it worked well for me. I am still "kinda" following it....and am fairly compliant but not "perfect" (like I used to be).

It is not for everyone. I would encourage you to give it an honest effort for three months (if you can) and to slowly work towards the 16:8. Well, I do not know your eating habits or your relationship with food. Give it a go!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Wjames43 wrote: »
    Initially lost to much weight as I only wanted to reduce body fat but needed to maintain muscle. I struggled to get all my calories in within the 8 hr window.

Yes, sir! As funny as it might sound, the struggle is indeed real! I got used to it but I am a patient man (not saying that you are not) but it was truly a challenge for me at first.

It felt like I was always eating! Not sure that was not the case! LOL!
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It works for me. It keeps me in my intake for the day. I just prefer to feel full late in the day rather than “kind of hungry all day.” Other people, can’t tolerate a completely empty stomach for long periods. Like someone said, it is just an eating schedule that is a “cheat” to not go over for the day.
  • RegencyLass
    RegencyLass Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm doing IF Keto for health and weight loss. Most days it's 20:4 and it's the easiest dietary lifestyle I've ever tried. My weight loss has been average but the real success is my migraines have all but vanished. Migraine meds were costing me over $400 a month out of pocket since my ins doesn't cover it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    carutan wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting "works" 100% depending on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to make your body more adept at burning fat then it's certainly the way to go. Personally, I tried it and couldn't stick to it since I absolutely hate the feeling of not (at least mostly) satiated. I prefer grazing.

it really has nothing to do with fat burning or making your body more adept to fat burning. if you mean you burn more fat doing IF then no it doesnt.I am not more adept at fat burning doing 16:8 or even 18:6 compared to when I dont fast
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting "works" 100% depending on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to make your body more adept at burning fat then it's certainly the way to go. Personally, I tried it and couldn't stick to it since I absolutely hate the feeling of not (at least mostly) satiated. I prefer grazing.

it really has nothing to do with fat burning or making your body more adept to fat burning. if you mean you burn more fat doing IF then no it doesnt.I am not more adept at fat burning doing 16:8 or even 18:6 compared to when I dont fast

I don't understand what you're talking about? Fat-derived energy production is stimulated under fasted conditions.

the thing with IF is you can overeat which will mean NO fat loss,you can gain weight doing IF. I have in the past. excerpt from this link( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4050641/)
    "The liver has long been recognized to be an essential metabolic organ. When carbohydrates are abundant during the postprandial phase, the liver converts glucose into glycogen and lipids, which provide metabolic fuels during fasting. In the fasted state, the liver produces and secretes glucose through both glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis. The liver also converts fatty acids into ketone bodies which provide additional metabolic fuels for extrahepatic tissues during fasting. The metabolic switch between the fasted and fed states in the liver is tightly controlled by neuronal and hormonal systems"

IF is just a window of time in which you eat your meals. if you overeat you will gain weight and fat. fat is lost in a deficit of calories. you cannot eat what you want doing IF and still lose fat. if you are eating more than you burn.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22414/
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I do 24 hour fasting and it's amazing. i went from 210 pounds to 150 pounds in 8 months. I wake up then exercise and after that I eat my 1500 calories for the day then repeat it the next day. It really works wonders, but i'll have to say the first few weeks were really painful to get into the swing of things.
  • GeorgeGCT
    GeorgeGCT Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Often I eat a good keto lunch and heavy fat dinner then fast until the following dinner. Been able to shed belly fat slowly doing this and still working out during. Some headaches but they are mild and common among fellow low carbers. I added electrolytes, someone would have suggested if I didn't say. I drink tons of water. I would not go more than a 24 hour fast. But that is my body. Exogenous ketones have helped keep appetite down. I use the 4 ketone salt mix but not every day. I hear mixed results. Seems to help. But I do follow a standard keto diet. I am looking to cut fat but build muscle so weight loss is not a priority.
  • carutan
    carutan Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I don't understand what you're talking about? Fat-derived energy production is stimulated under fasted conditions.

the thing with IF is you can overeat which will mean NO fat loss,you can gain weight doing IF. I have in the past. excerpt from this link( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4050641/)
    "The liver has long been recognized to be an essential metabolic organ. When carbohydrates are abundant during the postprandial phase, the liver converts glucose into glycogen and lipids, which provide metabolic fuels during fasting. In the fasted state, the liver produces and secretes glucose through both glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis. The liver also converts fatty acids into ketone bodies which provide additional metabolic fuels for extrahepatic tissues during fasting. The metabolic switch between the fasted and fed states in the liver is tightly controlled by neuronal and hormonal systems"

IF is just a window of time in which you eat your meals. if you overeat you will gain weight and fat. fat is lost in a deficit of calories. you cannot eat what you want doing IF and still lose fat. if you are eating more than you burn.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22414/

I didn't say you would lose fat from fasting, I said the body would become more adept at burning it (thus the ketone bodies, etc.) - Because you're right, if you eat too much then IF isn't going to be enough help to lose weight.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do it here and there. It does give me a bit of perspective ie I don't need food every other minute. I practice IF on the weekends when I know my lunches and dinners tend to be bigger, so I wait until 12 pm to eat my first meal.