Cardio with knee injury

Options
Hi guys! Any ideas for cardio training while having a knee injury. I have been on diet and working out for 2 months now, made a good progress and l don't want to lose the momentum, appreciate your feedback.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what is the actual injury? what exercise has your doctor told you to do?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor or physical therapist tell you to do?
  • joann23456
    joann23456 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I had a knee injury, I was usually able to sort of run in place, but without lifting my feet, if that makes sense. You just sort of bounce, but you can get your heart rate up nicely. When I couldn’t even do that, I’d sit in a chair and do “chair dancing.”

Good luck!
  • Anasqarman
    Anasqarman Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I'm away from home and there is now decent medical facilities where am posted right now. I'm suspecting it the ligaments as l feel pain and burning sensation around my knee. Started some self medication (anti inflammatory). Maybe l need to take break until l see a doctor in a week time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Anasqarman wrote: »

I'm away from home and there is now decent medical facilities where am posted right now. I'm suspecting it the ligaments as l feel pain and burning sensation around my knee. Started some self medication (anti inflammatory). Maybe l need to take break until l see a doctor in a week time.

sounds like a good idea
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    I like this HIIT routine that is specifically knee friendly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crUlIic1T3Q
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Yes, don't try to "work through" knee pain. I hurt mine in 2009 and still have to baby them.

Doing these regularly helps though:

ko0odt1ahfci.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLoMA7I7HOQ&feature=youtu.be
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP's original question. Swimming is probably the best cardio do do with knee injuries. No stress at all on the joints.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    JoeCWV wrote: »
    To answer the OP's original question. Swimming is probably the best cardio do do with knee injuries. No stress at all on the joints.

This is entirely dependent on what stroke the person is swimming.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

or cycling
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    This is entirely dependent on what stroke the person is swimming.

Ya, the frog kick that goes with the breast stroke is hard on my knees. I use flippers and do the flutter kick no matter what stroke I'm doing. My knees also bend less with flippers, which helps as well.
  • amjohnsto1204
    amjohnsto1204 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Swimming works for me, and elliptical sometimes too.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Swimming and the therapy pool.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have a long term knee injury (several operations): stationary bicycle and water aerobics are the best for my knee.
    Also use that big, blue ball (pezzi ball?) which helps a lot.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I tore my MCL (medial something-or-other ligament) almost right through last year as a result of a skiing injury. It wasn’t terribly pleasant, and I definitely had the pain and burning sensation after that.

I wouldn’t do anything until seeing your Dr. Better to be safe than sorry.

My physiotherapist recommended rest at first, then gentle swimming or water walking, or using a stationary bike once I started to heal.

Good luck!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, don't try to "work through" knee pain. I hurt mine in 2009 and still have to baby them.

Doing these regularly helps though:

ko0odt1ahfci.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLoMA7I7HOQ&feature=youtu.be

Oh wow I remember doing 17 and 21 exercises every day twice a day after dislocating my knee for months!!!. They really do help. I really should have done them longer, but I got bored and my left knee is a smidge weaker than my right knee years later. If I learned anything, it is that knees are fragile and you only get one for each leg so unless you are 100% sure you can exercise it is way better to be safe than sorry.

Also used the stationary bike as a warmup at the physical therapist office AFTER I was deemed ready for exercise.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Swimming or upper body work. I'm sure you could invent a circuit working arms, chest, back and abs. Maybe pushup, pullup, plank repeat
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,663 Member
    Options
    Get it diagnosed. Some kinds of injuries you can work through without burning any bridges; others will be worsened by "working through" them to the point that you will do much more severe damage, damage that's hard to reverse or recover from. A short interruption in doing your preferred cardio is a minor problem in comparison to consequences of worsening certain injuries.

Diagnoses and treatment plans shouldn't come from random strangers on the internet. Be safe.