What has to happen?

Options
Lou66Sar
Lou66Sar Posts: 1 Member
What has to happen to me for me to finally say "enough is enough"?

Am I the heaviest I've ever been? Yes. Am I unhappy with myself? Yes. Are ALL my clothes becoming too tight? Yes. Do I catch a glimpse of myself in a shop window and shake my head in disgust? Yes.

So why oh why do I continue to eat crap?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have to tried logging the food you eat everyday! In a weeks time, see if you can shave off some calories. Try diet soda instead of regular soda. Or grilled instead of fried. Just trying to guess what you mean by crap.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Most of it is just plain old habit...It is very hard to change around how much we eat and how little we exercise.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I agree with the above comment. And I also felt the way you describe before I started.

The thing for me was that I had to be mentally ready to change- while I was still listening to all the “But it will be hard (it’s not that hard)/ I’ll have to give up foods I love (no, you don’t)/ What if I get hungry?” statements/ questions and other negative reasons why I SHOULDNT start in my head, it was easier to keep putting it off, despite feeling miserable about my weight.

I had to get in the right frame of mind and find my “why”. And I had to change the negative self talk into positive. Once I get as able to do that, I was ready.

Now nearly 6months down and over 20kg gone, I’m feeling so much better about myself, and it’s not as hard as I feared it would be- in fact, I’m actually enjoying the process because I get to watch the weight come off!!!
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Add me girls!!
  • NysiePadgettHenry
    NysiePadgettHenry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add me!!
  • NysiePadgettHenry
    NysiePadgettHenry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great discussion!! I need my to find out my why!!
  • carasnewlife
    carasnewlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You need to decide which do you want more. The crap or a happy and healthy life. Wanting to see my kids grow up and be healthy and active was my why. You will find yours.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    find an easy but effective exercise that you enjoy. eat what you're eating currently and adjust your diet slowly. eventually your body will reject oily or salty food as your progress. i remember when i first started diet and exercise it wasn't easy. first i found out i liked cycling and it was easy enough to do almost daily so i continued with it. my diet was still poor at the start of things. i ate a lot of carbs oils. what happened later was pretty interesting to me. what happened was that as i continued what i was doing i realized for cycling the lighter you are the better performance you get especially up hills. i started to change my diet slowly and began seeing weight loss. of course i couldn't just quit junk food all together it took time. over the course of time my body didn't want all the oily and salty foods that i craved before. so find something active that you enjoy and stick to it and adjust your diet as needed. you can do this don't let yourself or anyone tell you that you can't. remember when it hurts the most or when you crave certain foods more than ever you're doing something right. :smile:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you will continue to "eat crap" until you connect the dots.
    You don't "eat crap" in order to become overweight.
    What is the alternative to "eating crap"? Why don't you do that?
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    For me, it is a mixture of habit and addiction. I can tell myself all day 'no', but as soon as the thought crosses my mind I fold like a napkin. I am slowly but surely getting better, but I still have a long way to go.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Lou66Sar wrote: »

Decision. Read this.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Decision. Read this.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1

Yes, I like this thread too. Motivation is a starting point, but decision & habit get the job done.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Am I the heaviest I've ever been? Yes. Am I unhappy with myself? Yes. Are ALL my clothes becoming too tight? Yes. Do I catch a glimpse of myself in a shop window and shake my head in disgust? Yes.

Even small actions can add up to big changes. Pick one thing and start there. Want to stop eating potato chips or cookies? Stop bringing them into the house. Track and log every single thing that passes your lips. And then review it to see where you can make changes :) Don't eat anything that you hate just because it's supposed to be healthy. Find stuff you like to eat and just make it fit within your calorie goals.
    Good luck! You can do this!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    From a quote:

Losing weight is hard.

Being fat is hard.

Pick your hard.

You have to decide what you want more, to be the same or to change.
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Pictures! Lots of pictures of yourself! I have been on Keto sin January and I don’t think I would have made it if it weren’t for looking at all the pictures. I would see suttle differences in each photo and that is what kept me going. Pictures don’t lie. Good luck! You can do this!
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you continue to eat crap because you're the heaviest you've ever been, you're unhappy with yourself, you shake your head in disgust when you see your own reflection....

I went on a low-cal faddish diet (Scarsdale) for two weeks to jumpstart my weight loss. It's tough - black coffee, protein bread for breakfast, half a grapefruit, etc. But every single meal is prescribed and enough weight came off in those two weeks that I felt a lot better about continuing on the journey! This was a version of "Motivation *follows* action."

In my experience, I didn't start exercising until I'd lost a significant amount of weight. Lugging the extra 35 pounds around was just too much - it would be hard for me to carry a German shepherd puppy or a mid-size microwave on my back even just walking for 15 minutes. BUT, to each her own.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You have to detach yourself from behavior. You can be disgusted with your behavior, but being disgusted with yourself is unhealthy, unhelpful, and untrue.

We invest time, energy, and all manner of value into things we love. Any act of self improvement is an inherent act of love.
  • antsosbo
    antsosbo Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I lost 100lbs between my Junior year and Senior year in high school. I just woke up one day and decided that I was tired of being the fat kid at school. I was like, "I have one year left, I have to make it count!" So at the end of my junior year, I started the push, lost a lot of weight during the summer, came back to my Senior year a little chunky, but not obese, by Christmas break that year I was 210, I graduated at 185lbs.

My daily goal was 1200 calories, and I lost anywhere from 4-6lbs a week.

It was not healthy, but it worked at the time. However, that was 20 years ago and i pushed myself all the way back to 284. My wife and I both have a weight problem and she has pushed me to diet with her multiple times in the last 10 years. But I couldn't find that motivation, until my son was born a year and a half ago.

I wanted to lose weight for him. I wanted to be able to run around with him and chase him without passing out. But, it turns out even that wasn't enough for me to stop eating garbage. It wasn't until Kevin Smith had his heart attack, that I realized, I could die and my son would be without his father.

So I listened to how Kevin handled it. He recommended Penn Jillettes book, Presto! So I picked it up on Audible. I listened to Penn describe the same crap that I went through. He is self deprecating in a funny way that applied to me in all the right areas. So there it was, my motivation! It wasn't just being able to chase and play with my son, I realized I needed to be alive for him! I moved to a plant based diet, I stopped eating processed food, and I'm losing weight.

More importantly I'm losing weight at a healthy and manageable level!

I've changed the way I eat for the rest of my life. Which I hope is long, because my son needs a father!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found thinking about starting harder than actually doing it. Start easing into it.