distance runners!

Options
barbiex3
barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
I would like to know how many miles a week you run/ how long it took you to work up to that.

I have been running for 3 years about, and I was usually doing about 25 miles a week on average
In May I upped my miles to about 30-40 miles per week.
This past week, I ran 60 miles, and I feel super burnt out (my joints just kinda ache, not really sore)

but I was just wondering if it's a good idea to up my miles per week by so much? Just looking to see where everyone else is at!

Thanks =] !

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    to avoid injury you should only increase by 10% each week so if you were running 25 this week, then add 2.5 miles next week and due 28, etc...
    Great job by the way!!
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    At my peak, I was running about 40 miles a week. If you run so much, you need to make 100% certain that you have proper gear (shoes, soles, socks), and also your form has to be great. A good running form can prevent a lot of joint pain and injury. It is also recommended that one week of intense running should be followed by a week of easy running, in order for your muscles and joints to rest.
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty huge increase from one week to another, almost double your normal routine. No wonder you're feeling burned out ! I'd agree with dawnemjh, increase your miles gradually by 4 or 5 a week and your body will thank you for it ;)
  • clhiter
    clhiter Posts: 74
    Options
    Great job on building milage--buts lets remember a couple of things:
    Gear--Make sure you have replaced recently. 300miles average milage on shoes. They may look good on tread but the compression rate is what protects yours body from joint pain etc. If you are at 25 mile weeks that is every 3 months. so if you have bumped up mileage you may be due.

Steady Increase--I agree with the 10% increase--but be sure you make sure you do it at the right distances. You can make your long run longer--just not the whole 10% increase. I like to add 1/4 mile to short run, 1/2 mile to medium run, and 3/4-1 mile to long run on each week. This gives me more than 10% in some cases, but it is a fixed distance since I run a schedule of S, S/M (Tempo work day), M, L, M, Long, Rest.

Rest or Recovery: I know this month's RW talks alot about making sure you get good rest days that are either off (not good for me I get stiff) or really running slow not just thinking you are going slow.

Good luck--Unless you have a goal for a ultra - run, do oyu really have need to go 60mile week? If not drop back again and keep enjoying the runs.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The general rule is to increase no more than 10% a week to avoid burn out and injuries. You can run those distances but let your body work up to them the right way. Great job so far!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I only started running a little over a year ago having never ran a mile before in my life! I'm up to about 25 miles per week, but I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon. After that I intend to cut back a bit while focusing on strength for a couple months before training for another 1/2 and my first 25k next spring. I'm hoping I don't have to add too much more to my schedule, this is taking a big chunk of my week as it is.... but I'm loving it! I totally agree with all the above advice... 10%ish addition every week, and taking every 4th week "easy" and new shoes are a must every 300ish miles. I have been keeping track of my shoe mileage on a calendar so I'll know for sure... one pair has just over 300 on it, which I still use for short runs (2-3 miles) and the new one's have about 45 on them so far.... I waited until the first one was just about done (which I won't do again).

Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    That's a bug jump. I run ~ 45 - 50 miles most weeks. In the summers I up my miles to 60+ as I have more time in the mornings (don't have to get kids off to school early).

I stay close to marathon shape year round, so upping miles isn't a big deal for me. But I've been doing it for a lot of years now.
  • clhiter
    clhiter Posts: 74
    Options
    That's a bug jump. I run ~ 45 - 50 miles most weeks. In the summers I up my miles to 60+ as I have more time in the mornings (don't have to get kids off to school early).

I stay close to marathon shape year round, so upping miles isn't a big deal for me. But I've been doing it for a lot of years now.

Love the quote at the bottom.