My 100lb journey

Options
miikaautio33
miikaautio33 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2018 in Introduce Yourself
I started on this journey back in January. I had turned 40 a couple months earlier and did not like how I was living, how I looked, felt, ate, drank and most importantly the example I was showing my two kids. After flying through my 30’s heavily involved in work, family and life, my weight topped out around 312lbs.

Knowing something drastic needed to change or it would change me, I woke up one morning and a light switch went off. I decided to make wholesale changes to the way I consumed and viewed my diet; fast food gone, alcohol gone, processed foods gone, non-diet soda gone, juice gone, processed white starches gone, and so on and so on. I incorporated 2 major lifestyle changes, First staying under my BMR by tracking everything I ate with MyFitnessPal and most importantly I wanted to have as close to a completely plant based diet as I could. While I’m no vegetarian (I do eat a small amount of meat a day) changing to a heavy plant based diet made my body melt away the fat I was carrying around.

Starting off I had small goals, first was get under 300, then 290, then 280 and before you know it after 3 months I had lost 60lbs. Realizing this was working very well I then decided to get a gym membership (and use it!) to start working out and exercising more everyday. These last 40lbs have been much harder to loose but adding muscle and moving more daily made this possible.

Today I weigh less than I did when I graduated college. My blood pressure is normal (no more meds! Yay!) I sleep better, my skin is healthier, I feel happier and over all feel like I’m a better example for my kids. What I’ve learned from years of failed attempts to get healthy is that there is no secret, no special pills you need, no “diet gimmick” you need to buy, just a determination and mindset to make your self happier and healthier. As of yesterday morning I weighed 211.4lbs, I finally broke through the 100lbs goal mark. This is an accomplishment that will drive me for the rest of my life. Thanks for reading, and thank you MyFitnessPal for helping me with my journey!

Miika

2db8nko0o34t.jpeg
aklcuy7gulfn.jpeg
7uwoa5zbi8qe.jpeg

Replies

• andyzee69
    andyzee69 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant!!!! I started at 315lbs and after 18 months, I'm still at 298lbs. I'm trying to eat more veg and fruit and get more exercise but at least MFP has stopped my weight getting larger and larger
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You absolutely are transformed! WOW!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Looking great! Very inspiring!
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Damn, dude. You look great. 100 lbs lost is huge!

Im on the same boat myself. Started at 320 and Im at 205 right now, but I still have a gut to work on. You seriously look shredded. Im trying to get to 190 or 180 and I hope I look half as good as you do.

• wlc1965
    wlc1965 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    AWESOME job! Congratulations!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and very happy. What a tremendous achievement...way to go!
  • bigghunny
    bigghunny Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing transformation!! You should be very proud
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Outstanding transformation is so little time...very well done!
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You not only lost weight, you look happier and younger too!!!! Very inspiring
  • miikaautio33
    miikaautio33 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone for reading and commenting. It’s been a fun journey, it has totally changed and saved my life. A renewed focus on health and diet was much needed in my life after years of neglect. I was the worst offender too, tons of beer, potato chips, fast food and midnight snacks. Everyone has the ability to do this, focus on small short term goals and stay the course. Count all calories like your an obsessed scientist and use the MFP app, you can do it!
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring to me just starting out on this journey. Congrats to you!