How to beat sugar cravings

Options
Hi. Does anybody have any advice on how to beat sugar cravings?

I eat healthy most of the time and exercise quite a bit, but my sweet tooth is sabotaging my progress!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Stay away from anything sweet for 30 days. See if this helps with your sweet tooth.

Fruit will taste amazing.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I cut sugar out of my diet completely for 30 days. Now I don't even miss it and only rarely do I want or crave a sweet treat. I was also diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome so it was important to me to get my blood sugars under control. I will let myself have a sweet treat now if I crave it, but those cravings are few and far between.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Fruit
  • ChangeIsGood29
    ChangeIsGood29 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I keep a supply of fun size candy bars. As long as I track them in my calories, I don't feel at all bad indulging in one or two per day. They range in calories from 70 to 100 generally so I just keep a variety on hand and have one when I really want something sweet. As long as I know I can stop at only having one, it works well for me.
  • ketobucko
    ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly is my go to if I’m craving something sweet,I always have a couple made up ready to go,& if I have some calories spare I’ll add 1 or 2 tablespoons of double cream works a treat for me,only 16 cals in jelly
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I give into it but with healthier alternatives. Here are a few things I do to satisfy my sweet tooth...
    cut up an apple and microwave it, then coat in cinnamon and stevia and toss. Sometimes I’ll add light margarine or sugar free chocolate syrup if my daily calories allow it. I also keep sugar free pudding on hand and will dip strawberries and bananas in it. I mix pb2 and water to make low calorie peanut butter and will spread that on a chocolate or caramel rice cake. I also don’t know what I’d do without the Nabisco 100 calorie Oreo and chips ahoy packs. I have found it easier to look for alternatives to sweets rather than try and get the craving to go away.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have been doing sugar free for a few weeks now and can say that fresh vegetables and fruits do taste better to me now.

One thing I do to avoid the sugar but still get a fix is consume small amounts of Lily's Chocolate Chips that are Stevia sweetened and available at Whole foods. The taste is rich so I don't go overboard and can feel good about not consuming sugar.

Tonight when I get home I plan to make some chocolate/nut/fruit clusters to hel crage sugar cravings when they hit.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Chocorite chocolate pecan clusters and peanut butter patties. They are soooo good, but also contain a lot of fiber (and some sugar alcohols). I am able to stop at one package (and it gives me my sugar fix), because if I eat any more than that, I will be doubled over with tummy cramps. Portion control at its finest! :smiley:
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs with the creamy fatty yoke kills my cravings when I eat them the same time every day.
  • kalynrm
    kalynrm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others...I’ll probably always want something sweet from time to time and I have just found some healthier, lower calorie alternatives. It just takes some creativity and lots of google searching for recipes and ideas 🙂
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 1 square of sugarfree chocolate a night. I get something sweet and it has no sugar so doesn't seem to set me off. I used to eat bags of candy daily. I don't miss it. Also like others have said I find often when I feel like I want something sweet a piece of fruit satisfies me. It does have natural sugar in it if you think about it but I think the fibre in fresh fruit tends to make it digest slower.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I have a square of dark chocolate (40-50 calories) as a treat for staying within my calories for the day.
    A lot of foods are calorie dense, not just sweets, raw nuts for example. I have just had to learn moderation and serving size for all foods and to make better choices for all my calories. Most of the time, when I am tempted, I just say to myself, "is it worth a few seconds enjoyment", the answer is usually NO.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of recipes floating around for skinny donuts, cakes, muffins, even gummy bears! A lot of them are Weight Watchers, but since they follow a low calorie type plan I will often use them myself. I made a batch of donuts recently using 1 cup of Dark Chocolate Kodiak Pancake and Waffle Mix with 1 cup water. I didn't have a donut mould, so I just used a muffin tin and made six little cakes. It makes 6 servings at around 60 calories a piece! I would definitely add sweetener next time (it needs it), and I plan to use a teaspoon of chocolate frosting and some sprinkles once I get the donut mould :) I had it with a tablespoon of Better Than Peanut Butter while it was still warm and it was great!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just make space in your daily log for something you want. Use single size prepacked snack size portions for convenience and ease of logging.

Dang it! You got three woo's for this, @stanmann571?!? I'm losing, aren't I? 469 currently.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Just make space in your daily log for something you want. Use single size prepacked snack size portions for convenience and ease of logging.

Dang it! You got three woo's for this, @stanmann571?!? I'm losing, aren't I? 469 currently.

You are. I am at 490. And only 6 days to go.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

You are. I am at 490. And only 6 days to go.

*Kitten*