Should I be eating more than 1,200 calories?

Options
I've been eating 1,200 calories a day for the last few weeks, but from what I've been reading it seems like this might be a bad idea. I'm 5'2'', 30 years old, weigh 185 pounds and want to be about 130 pounds. I have a desk job so I don't move around much for most of the day. I try to do a workout every evening though, my usual Fitbit calorie expenditure for the day is about 2,300, but I don't trust this completely so figure it's probably more like 2,100-2,200. That should result in weight loss of about 2 pounds per week- am I overweight enough that this is a realistic goal, or should I be losing more slowly than this?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    1200 is for a sedentary person, I suggest your work outs compensate for the lack of movement during your work day, as implied by your Fitbit expenditure. I hope you have noted rest days should be part of a regular exercise regime, its time for the body to recover and set itself up for the next time. Many synchronise their Fitbit with MFP, I have no experience of doing this. Logging your exercise on MFP too would increase the calories available to you, they are expressed as calories earned. There are many possible headings under the exercise tab.

As Tavistock suggests setting yourself to loose 1.5lb could be better for you. Possibly take your regular exercise activity into account too its an option in the guided set up. Achieving our goals and calorie levels can be slightly different for everyone its best to find the way suited to our personal needs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice from peop.

The thing about having more weigh to lose is that you can eat more and still lose weight. That's the gift in avoiding those 1200 calorie diets. :)

• Naivety
    Naivety Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll try bringing it up to 1500 for a few weeks and see how that goes :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    The crucial thing is how fast you're actually losing (averaged over several weeks). A rough rule of thumb is that you should not lose more than 1% of your body weight per week, with a slower rate recommended as you get within 25-50 pounds of goal. Those are intended as maximums for anyone not morbidly obese or under close medical supervision.

We should use the calculators (like the one built into MFP) to get a sensible calorie goal (1% or slower), then adjust after a few weeks based on our individual results. (People differ.). Since you've been at it for a few weeks, you should have the data you need to make a reasonable adjustment.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - you don’t mention how you FEEL at 1200. Are you hungry? satisfied?
  • Naivety
    Naivety Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was feeling pretty hungry on 1200, but slowly adjusting. My weight loss was 3kg for those 3 weeks. I think it was a big weight loss also because it was right before my TOM when I first weighed myself so the initial weight was probably a bit off.
  • evagoonan
    evagoonan Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I started out at 1200 a day. And I added two more Fitbit and they gave me extra additional calorie points I don’t understand.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've been eating at 1200 which is 1.5 lbs loss, and I've eaten at one pound loss and 2 lbs loss for a week in the past five weeks. I Change it up according to how I feel.