Canada Day ideas?

Options
saragd012
saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
My mother is throwing a Canada Day party next weekend, and I'm hoping to get ideas of things to make. I know she is already all set for poutine and maple cookies, but I'm drawing a blank on something I can make. We're actually in Florida, so that limits availability of store bought items. What would you hope/want to see at a Canada party? If it helps at all it's a fairly casual pool party type atmosphere with 20-25 guests (many of which have never even been to Canada).

Replies

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Thanks, we are definitely planning on grilling (basically a requirement for Florida pool parties) and we are stocking up on Canadian beers. I'm a big craft beer person too (stouts and ambers especially) but my Mom is dead-set beers from "home" and finding Canadian craft beers here would be next to impossible. I know she already has Moosehead Lager, Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue. I might be able to get my hands on some Unibroue or White Claw, but that store is far and stressful so I'm holding out on that option :D
  • Mallet_71
    Mallet_71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with cheese.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    Too warm for Canadian classics like tourtiere and pea soup. Fiddleheads are out of season. Not exactly diet friendly, but sugar pie?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Tea and muffins or scones! Grilled salmon!
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m Canadian can I come too? Lol B)

At a bbq I would personally love to see both some healthy options like grilled chicken, veggies, portobello mushrooms, 1/2 corn on the cobs, and some little sweet treats like s’more station, mini cookies/cakes, oh and LOTS of fruit options!

Good luck and have fun!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Butter tarts.
    Nanaimo bars.
    Some salmon...would be nice bbq on a plank if you have one (get the salmon at Costco; do a glaze with maple syrup)
    Caesers if you can find the Clamato mix there.
    Enjoy your party!
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I would go with a red and white theme - that's what we have done for Canada Day parties:
    strawberries
    watermelon
    tomatoes
    white cheese
    etc.
    etc.
    Sounds like a fun event...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm going with red and white food, none of which are Canadian-only.

- cream cheese & prosciutto in sun-dried tomato wraps
    - red peanut M&Ms mixed with yogurt coated peanuts
    - red & white tortilla chips
    - birthday cake Fruit Loops

You could search for Screech to liven things up.
    n1n0hopw7cvp.gif