Has anyone experienced health/body issues as a result of losing a significant amount of weight?

Options
I overheard someone at work talking about how, after losing 75lbs, now she has problems with her feet. Not sure of the details since I wasn't part of the conversation, but it was interesting since it wasn't something I would have associated with losing weight. Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced problems too.

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If it being easier to do everything is a problem then yes. I agree with Amy, her problems were probably from being so heavy and she's noticing it now that she's using her body in a more physically demanding way.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I overheard someone at work talking about how, after losing 75lbs, now she has problems with her feet. Not sure of the details since I wasn't part of the conversation, but it was interesting since it wasn't something I would have associated with losing weight. Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced problems too.

My resting blood pressure has dropped to 91/60. Normal is supposed to be 120/80. I read that it shouldn't go below 90/60, so not sure if I need to be concerned or what I would need to do to get it a little higher. I do feel the best I have in years.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis. I learned how to tape my own feet because it helped me take it back outside when I started hiking. Our mileage will always vary. Feet, knees, ankles, joints, backs, shoulders, wrists, necks. I used KT tape for my knees and athletic tape for my feet. When you get the tension just right you can walk without that bone on bone grinding pain.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    My blood prressure and heart rate have gone way down. Sometimes it bothers me, and i feel dizxy and don't have a lot of energy. I also have a lot of joint problems/ pain.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    My pain levels are so much worse now ive lost 158lb....... but its likely to be osteo-arthritis (doc has ordered knee xrays) caused by being morbidly obese for s decade (im 36)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Most of the complications I'm aware of are the ones that come from losing the weight too quickly- gallstones, muscle loss, hair loss, things like that. Some cases of loose skin become problematic and cause skin irritations & infections. As has been mentioned, I think people may attribute problems to losing weight when it was just how they personally went about it, or pure coincidence.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Only saggy skin. I could pass as a mom :/
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I developed plantar fasciitis but I would more blame that on me taking up walkig further and further entirely on the pavements for the first few months of eating to lose weight. I can understand why someone else might make the leap to blame that on losing weight.
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've had ankle impingement injuries that suck (because they reiterate), but those are due to working out too intensely too quick (and too overweight probably) at the beginning of my journey, bad quality footwear through life, bad luck, etc.

Due to weight loss or my calorie deficit: I'm loosing hair like crazy D =

And yes, I eat mostly nutritios foods. As a staple, lots of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, lean meats, whole grains, olive oil, avocado, greek yogurt, beans... and some chocolate, wine, cookies and ice cream for the soul, of course.

Like crazy! Loosing hair like crazy >.<
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have is the excess belly skin that now requires me to wear compression gear in order to go for a run. I did a year of recomp and 90% of the rest of my skin shrank back....not the belly flap. (I lost 170lbs before my recomp). Every other health issue I had when I was obese has went away with the weight loss.