Calories burned while using a scythe?

Options
Anybody with a Fitbit or HRM ever use a scythe and see how many calories they burned? I don't have either and used a scythe for about 30 minutes to clear some weeds. How did those people do it in the old days? LOL A half hour of that was a heck of a workout. I have a lot more to clear out and I will keep using the scythe to get most of it so as to burn some more calories.

I was torn between using "heavy tools," " rowing," or "raking lawn" to count the calories burned. I went with the "heavy tools." I used "raking lawn" to then account for 60 minutes of weedeating.

Anyone have any better or other ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's a killer workout! I thought pushing my reel mower was a workout! Outstanding!
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    Wow! That's a killer workout! I thought pushing my reel mower was a workout! Outstanding!

Thanks! It really was a heck of a workout. I think I burned more calories than projected, but oh well.
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think this may vary a lot, depending on technique etc but, using my HRM I burned 194 calories in half an hour. I tend to swing the scythe around quite widely and send grass flying - it works for me that way but isn't very neat. I'm female, 156 cm and 80 kg with moderate fitness - I have no idea whether the figures I get on the HRM for me would be anything like what you are burning, but I've added scything to the exercise database anyway.
  • darling2321
    Options
    I've used my HRM while using a scythe for 90 min and it came out to 680. I'm 31 and female and 140 pounds. Don't know if that helps or not. I also use the CardioTrainer app to calculate exercise better and more accurately. They let you choose between light, moderate, or intense for your workout.
  • Lynn052904
    Lynn052904 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you are scything. I did about 40 minutes in heavy weeds this morning (which felt like moderate intensity aerobics) followed by an easy going 40minutes in tall grass which had my heart rate up but much lower. I think since it seems we have so many fellow scythers here we should try to get a few to check in with different types of terrains and intensities! Sadly my Fitbit died after getting too wet and I refuse to pay another 100 for a new one!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    tcbutler wrote: »
    Anybody with a Fitbit or HRM ever use a scythe and see how many calories they burned?

The estimate from either would be unlikely to be even close to reality.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Grim Reaper? 😳
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    How about a string trimmer?
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Having not used a scythe in years, I'm just going from memory. But, in some thick stuff, I would think it's comparable to chopping wood and there's an entry for that.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Gym reaper?
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Some call it a Scythe, I call it a sling blade
    giphy.gif
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You will need two sets of numbers. One for sharp blade and another for a dull blade.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Best Calorie Thread Ever!
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    when I use my scythe, I usually estimate about 50 calories per soul.

You win the internet today!