How much weight loss is needed to see visible results

Options
How much weight does an individual have to lose before seeing results. Which area of the body do you first start to see the biggest change

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. Smaller people will usually see results on a smaller loss than larger people.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost10Ib and my face looks thinner, but the rest of me looks the same. I’m 5ft 2ins and about 130Ibs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea it's going to depend on many factors. For me it can be as little as 0.5lbs
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    10 lbs for me, but I am 5 feet. 20 lbs makes a big difference.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Lots of variables, How tall one is, how much weight one needs/wants to lose. Where you normally carry extra weight. For me I notice it clothes wise how it feels before I notice it in the mirror. I have lost 30 pounds since May 6th. But I still feel it more, than see it.
  • DreaDarling87
    DreaDarling87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I was obese (5'5" and 240lbs) it took at least 20lbs before I noticed a visible difference. Now that I am around 150lbs I can see a noticeable difference with every 5lbs i lose. But as others said its different for everyone.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I started getting comments from a few coworkers noticing a difference 2 months in when I reached 5% of my body weight lost. At almost 4 months in, I'm now nearing 10% and my clothes are definitely fitting better. I am 5'1"
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to say. Some people lose a lot and don't see it. That's why we have scales.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think it all comes down to your build. I’m 5’1 and I have tiny bones that I call bird bones. Any loss (or gain), no matter how small, is noticeable right away.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am 5'7" and carry my weight pretty evenly so friends didn't really notice before 20lbs, some not until 30! I Didn't really go down a dress size until 20lbs.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I started losing at the 219 lb mark. ( I am 5 foot 3) At 30 lb lost I suddenly got tonnes of compliments. I thought it was a long time for other to notice but realized it was because that was when I started to buy better fitting clothes.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you start how much weight will make a visible difference.
    For me starting at 179 lbs it took about 20 lbs before I saw much of a difference in the mirror or photos.
    If I lost 5-10 lbs at 119 lbs it would be more noticeable though.

Where you lose depends on where your body carries your excess fat. You are losing fat everywhere there is fat but if you have thinner legs and a bigger belly your legs will get smaller first. Like piles of snow melting- a big pile is melting but the smaller pile is gone faster. If your fat is pretty evenly distributed then you will likely see a reduction in measurements all over.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This depends on how much weight you have to lose. 10 Lbs isn't going to be particularly noticeable on someone who has a bunch of weight to lose. Five pounds on me is night and day.

I started at 220...20 Lbs lost didn't make a whole lot of difference visibly, it was more like my wedding ring was looser, I could button my shirt collar, etc. The next 10 was really noticeable, particularly in my face and loss of some around my midsection. The last 10 took me from a pretty good spare tire to a flat stomach and no love handles.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Scale hasn’t moved much..actually gained and none of my clothes fit—too big. So lossorry no inches but not seeing the scale move.

I have ditched the scale!
  • batters1964
    batters1964 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started at 300 lbs. It took about 56 lbs before anyone apart from my husband noticed. Now that I've lost over 6 stone it is very, very noticeable.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I started at 183 (I’m 5’3”) and it took losing 20 pounds to begin to see a difference.
  • MadamPlum
    MadamPlum Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It comes off my big fat belly first and my big fat bum last :(
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lb, 4" from my hips and 2 dress sizes but only my husband has mentioned it (and that's probably because he knows) I'm still very large so putting it down to the fact that I've shrunk proportionally so it's difficult to tell