Calorie goals

Options
tarajones9898
tarajones9898 Posts: 11 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I have my daily calories set at 1300 which I am struggling to keep now when I first started I found it easier , now my daily calorie intake is usually around 1500-1600 as I am fairly new to this I’m just wondering what other people set for the calories and if it’s still possible to loose a bit of weight and be fitter on 1600 a day

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    You get your calorie allowance based on the information that you've given MFP, if 1600 is less than your normal calorie burn for the day then yes you will still lose weight. It's best to understand how your calorie allowance is determined...

wiypzags4a2x.jpg
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What rate did you choose? If you’re struggling at 1300, drop half a pound a week which should give you ~1550 calories.
  • tarajones9898
    Options
    this might sound silly but not sure what rate I chose I’m not sure what it means !!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    You can find that in the side menu on the app under goals, it means the rate of loss that you chose to lose at. This is how MFP determines how much to reduce your calorie intake by, from the amount you maintain your weight on (See the above infographic which explains).

1to6o3f3ycr8.jpg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think all of us start out gung-ho and then reality hits.

You're going to have to experiment. I lost nearly all my weight at 1500, but I was a 54YO 5'8" retired woman with a low daily activity level. If I had been working or taking care of kids or going to school I probably would have needed more food.
  • tarajones9898
    Options
    Yes definitely seemed to find it easier at first maybe I’ve hit that point where I need to get myself a bit more motivated again!! it’s good to hear weightloss can still be achieved at a higher calorie intake and thank you I’ve just adjusted my goals and settings hopefully find it a bit easier
  • leo0933
    leo0933 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tara to be honest 1600 is not the high. Think about it many times people can eat that in one meal (ex: Mcdonalds big mac meal, chipolte bowl, or etc. The reason why it may seem high is because you are actually looking and tracking what you doing. The good thing about the body once you set up a plan concerning your prepping and how you want to eat it will adapt and before you know it you will be on your way. They key is keep at it. In the beginning it may seem like it's too much food. That is because you are eating more nutritious foods that contain fibers and other things to help create a healthy change.

Calories are important but NUTRITION is the key. You can eat 1600 calories of crap. The key is Nutrition because outside of weight, how will you feel? How is your endurance? Do you feel more energized? Do you have as many spikes? Probably many other things I have not said. Focus on what can be. Take it one day at a time.

Just like many others have said to you keep an positive mind. Don't look at it as a lot of calories. Flip it and look at it as a challenge that you will conquer along with transforming your body, becoming healthier and losing weight.

If you got the 1600 calories from here (myfitnesspal) they figure it out by gender, height, weight, and activity level concerning how active you are. Some people think the best way to loose weight is to just do 1000-1300 calorie diet. That is not always true. Again depending those stats I stated that may be to low. Which will cause other things to happen like lose muscle because you not getting in enough food or yo-yoing because not getting in adequate nutrition. Remember to lose weight you have to create a deficit from your TDEE (Total daily enegry expenditure) This is basically what it would take to maintain your current wait. From there is where you create deficit. Again without going to far into depth if not sure try to keep weight loss between .5-2 pounds a week. That would be a great start.

You got this for sure.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Fill in all the details in your profile and you will be allocated a number of calories to eat each day. When you lose weight, update your details and the calorie allowance will be reduced accordingly, otherwise you will be eating the number of calories to maintain the weight you are. Also, only add around have the calories allocated by excersize, the apps are known to overallocate.
    If you are having difficulties u understanding the app, feel free to message me and we can chat. 🙂
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Hell ya it is. I will jump around each week playing with stuff under 1600 depending on how I feel that week. I really like doing that because I see a lot of progress doing that with walking.