Advice for Starting Weight-Loss/Lifestyle Change

Options
Hello! I have some advice for those of you who have trouble starting your weight-loss/lifestyle change.

Firstly, just eliminate the junk. I created my "blacklist" of "toxic" foods I shall touch only once a week.
Eliminating the junk will also help eliminate empty calories.

Secondly, portion control. This should be easier without the junk food. I personally do not like to eat small meals throughout the day, though it is said to increase your metabolism. Instead, I eat 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) which total about 300-400 per meal. And for snacks I eat fruit and drink unsweetened tea.

Thirdly, exercise! Any type of physical activity is better than none, even a walk.

Good luck! Please comment or offer your tips!

Replies

• lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Make sure your plate is covered in veggies for both lunch and dinner. Choose sweet veggies like carrots, peas, sweet potato, beets, turnip etc only 2 to 3 times per week keep those servings at /2 cup.

Choose high fibre whole grains like whole wheat bread, wraps, bran cereal, oatmeal, brown rice and whole wheat pasta, keep those servings to 2-3 per week and 1/2 cup.
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    Hiya, my tip is. even if you fail a few days in the first few weeks, take it on the chin and start again positive the next day, It took me a while to get in the swing of it all and the first few weeks are the hardest when your making big changes

Good luck
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    @vodkaswigger

I completely agree with you. I have been using the calorie counter since January, yet my binging still spirals out of control.
  • JJasMyself
    JJasMyself Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have some advice for those of you who have trouble starting your weight-loss/lifestyle change.

Firstly, just eliminate the junk. I created my "blacklist" of "toxic" foods I shall touch only once a week.
    Eliminating the junk will also help eliminate empty calories.

Secondly, portion control. This should be easier without the junk food. I personally do not like to eat small meals throughout the day, though it is said to increase your metabolism. Instead, I eat 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) which total about 300-400 per meal. And for snacks I eat fruit and drink unsweetened tea.

Thirdly, exercise! Any type of physical activity is better than none, even a walk.

Good luck! Please comment or offer your tips!

This is great advice. I count my snacks as a meal so I technically eat between 4-5 meals a day because my snacking times are planned like a meal, but if I'm not hungry when it's snack time then I won't eat that particular snack. I like that you still allow yourself to eat "junk" once a week. I have found that if you don't turn anything into a "forbidden fruit" you have more success. I had to ease into my Better Lifestyle. I did it by just simply making BETTER choices at first. Until I was the whole way to healthy choices. I still allow myself to have sweets from time to time if I have spare calories. I just control how much of it I eat. I'm never hungry now because I can eat so much more healthy foods (i.e. veggies, fruit, lean protein) and still stay under my calorie goal than I ever could of the "junk"

It's all about small changes and better choices. You don't have to hit the gym for an hour if you don't have the time. Take a 15 minute walk if that's all you have! Any activity is better than none!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    My 1st tip: Never eat your carbs naked. Always have protein with your whole grain carbs.

My 2nd tip: Do not eat anything white: no white bread, no white sugar, no white potatoes, no white rice, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me, the only thing that has ever worked is focusing on health. I don't care about the latest fad diets, or 'lose fat fast without exercise' gimmicks or supplements. I follow the advice of current medical guidelines to keep me fit and healthy. This (link below) is the best plan I've seen and try to follow it as closely as possible.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/pyramid/
  • JJasMyself
    JJasMyself Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hiya, my tip is. even if you fail a few days in the first few weeks, take it on the chin and start again positive the next day, It took me a while to get in the swing of it all and the first few weeks are the hardest when your making big changes

Good luck

Awesome Advice! I love these forums because I read and hear such wonderful advice and advice that confirms my own practices. Remember, just because you make one "bad" choice doesn't mean all is lost. You can redeem yourself by making the very next choice a healthy one!
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Drink 8oz of water before and after every meal. It will help you feel fuller, and increase your water intake. Also 1/2 your plate veggies for lunch and dinner.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Vegetables!! My biggest discovery in this journey has been that when you bulk up your diet with veggies, it makes it so much easier to stay within your calorie goals and it pratically makes the weight fall off. I feel like I've discovered the "magic pill" of weight loss. lol So that's my advice... Eat your vegetables! :)
  • bree2012
    Options
    I think the starting part is the hardest, because we fear making changes and "getting out of the comfort zone".

You really have to make a commitment if you want results.

Inspirational quote: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Plan your snacks ahead of time by putting together a "feed bag" of various pre-measured snacks...
  • hssheikh
    hssheikh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thanks you all for ur awesome and precious advices...im the struggling one and when i dont see the scale moving , i get discouraged and go back to my old eating routine... I know all these tips which u guys have given but I find it hard to stick to them.... thanks to all of u for ur unconditional support... :)
  • littleraab
    littleraab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Water is a great way to help you feel full. Often times, when you think you are hungry you are actually thirsty. As for drinking water before a meal, it needs to be at least a 1/2 hour before you eat. Drinking water dilutes the acid in your stomach that digests your food. You will be able to digest your food better if that acid is not diluted.
  • JJLive
    JJLive Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheat days. That's like rewarding yourself for going 6 days without a cigarette.. with a cigarette.. heh. Once in a while I will eat a light breakfast and a salad for lunch if I plan on going out to eat with friends/family.
    Don't let a lapse become a relapse.
    If you quit today, what if you would have made it tomorrow?
    The biggest problem I see people doing is starving themselves.. don't expect to lose it all over night. Eat relatively healthy and exercise.
  • bree2012
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful advice!
  • bree2012
    Options
    Bump...