Tired, Hungry, and Not Losing

I started my journey on MFP on June 13th, and I lost weight really fast the first 6 weeks or so. For the past two/three weeks, I have lost a total of ONE pound! For the first 6 weeks, I had so much energy, didn't have problems eating only 1200 calories, and was dropping the weight so fast. Now, the last two weeks I have been very tired, hungry a lot more, having trouble staying in my calorie goals (even when exercising WAY more, therefore getting more calories to eat) and not losing any.

Suggestions?

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    It depends how much you are exercising but it sounds like you need to be eating more than 1200 calories..
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Now, the last two weeks I have been very tired, hungry a lot more, having trouble staying in my calorie goals (even when exercising WAY more, therefore getting more calories to eat) and not losing any.

Just a couple thoughts:

Are you eating enough calories to balance what you're burning? I usually eat back about half off mine (actually, I eat what I need to be not-hungry and then burn the calories in the evenings, usually).

Are you eating enough protein? I <3 carbs, but if I get too many cals from carbs I don't stay full as long as if I've had protein + carbs.

Are you coming off the, "OMG yaaaaaaay, CHANGE!!" high? I did for about a week, had to just let myself eat my old normal, realize how crappy it made me feel, and then I got my but back in gear.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    When you FEEL hungry, feed your body, even if it is over 1200 calories. Frankly, if you are working out like a maniac, your body needs more fuel to keep going. You are tired because you need more food. You can't drive a car without gas in the tank, how do you expect your body to keep going on a small amount of calories? Your body will also get used whatever calories you are eating (if it is a steady amount over a long period of time) and it will no longer lose. Try taking a day off and eating more than 1200 calories (obviously choosing healthy options) and see if your weight budges after that. ONE day will not ruin all the hard work you have put into it, but it may just be exactly what your body needs to keep going.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    As you lose, you are speeding up your metabolism. You may actually require more calories to be satisfied. Especially if you are adding muscle weight...which could also be why the scale is not moving. Do you measure? Are you still losing size?
    Try adding more calories, also, eat healthy fats which will help you feel full longer. Cheese, Avodaco, etc...those things may help.

Good luck....
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I got to a point like that where I was getting so hungry that I felt stupid all of the time. I changed my activity level from Sedentary to Lightly Active since I now exercise at least 3 times per week. It can't hurt to actually eat a little bit more, probably about 100 more or so per day and to make sure you're eating good quality food that fuels your workouts! Also maybe try chaning up your exercise routine!
  • tefii
    tefii Posts: 31
    Recommend: Sipping on ice water, and become aware of what your body is really feeling.
    Also reading, "Women food and God", really has helped me become aware of my body and understand
    what hunger really means.
    Buena suerte :D

xoxo
    -Teffi
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Your diary is not open so can't but have gone back and cmpared what you ate then compared to now? Your exercise the same? Water intake good/not too much caffeine? Time of the month?
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    eat every 3 hours, make sure you have protein with each meal. MFP recommended protein levels are too low. aim for about 50% carbs, 30 to 35 % protein and 15 to 20% good fats. and yes, make sure you drink lots of and lots of water. dehydration is often perceived as hunger.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    just try upping it a bit, say 200 more. keep doing what you do but just add the extra food. if you're not losing, the extra won't hurt for sure.
  • I had the same experience, went a few weeks without losing, then ate more calories one day (good ones, though) and that seemed to "jump start" things back up again. I also think that the kind of exercise has alot to do with it. There's nothing wrong with gardening or walking or things like that, but an actual WORK OUT a few times a week made a big difference with me....yoga, lifting weights, aerobics--things like that. Just don't get disgusted and keep on going!
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks. Yes, I am eating almost all of my exercise calories. I run about 2-3 miles 5-6 times a week. But I have been running that often since I started this. I have lost 19 lbs total and haven't really gone down a size in my clothes. They fit better, but I am still in a size 12/10. I have been eating RIGHT at 1200 + whatever I burn while working out almost exactly. So, do you think I should still up that or try to eat less? I'm getting really frustrated...
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    I agree with everyone. You need food. Watch your carbs (eat whole grains) get good fats, and eat those veggies. Try to keep your late meal lower calorie then your lunch. That one trick really got the scale moving for me. I could enjoy a really good lunch and have a light supper and I lose.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Thanks. Yes, I am eating almost all of my exercise calories. I run about 2-3 miles 5-6 times a week. But I have been running that often since I started this. I have lost 19 lbs total and haven't really gone down a size in my clothes. They fit better, but I am still in a size 12/10. I have been eating RIGHT at 1200 + whatever I burn while working out almost exactly. So, do you think I should still up that or try to eat less? I'm getting really frustrated...

*smh* I'm not sure how you got "do you think I should still up that or try to eat less?" when almost everyone is telling you to eat MORE.
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member

*smh* I'm not sure how you got "do you think I should still up that or try to eat less?" when almost everyone is telling you to eat MORE.

Ok, I'm sorry, you are right!