Ladies.... time of the month and weigh in?

Options
I’m on slimming world but have been pretty much just calorie counting as I find the plan quite restrictive (slimming world). I lose 4.5lbs the first week but gained 1lb the next. The same day however I started my lady time.
I’ve read that weight is meant to go on the week before your period but mine always seems to be during. Is there any way I can prevent this happening in future so it doesn’t stop me getting slimmer of the week? Has anyone else had experiences like this? Xx

Replies

• TannyPants1
    TannyPants1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thought I would also ask...does anyone have any tips to beat hormonal hunger? Supplements etc? The week before my period I become ravenous, to the point that my belly aches and I get angry and even cry if I don’t get food. How can I stop this from happening? X
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry and heavier before,during TOM and also during ovulation,I've been weighing daily and keeping track on and app so I just know why its so up and down,just keep on counting your calories,stay active and it all evens out
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I usually go up 2lbs when I ovulate, it's pretty normal either then or around your period. Best thing to do is to look over time vs week to week
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I weigh more then, and am really hungry too. Dark chocolate and low-calorie foods are great! I'll eat a lot of popcorn (160cals for 2&!/2 cups) when I need something salty and crunchy, and massive amounts of roasted veggies.
  • TannyPants1
    Options
    Ainadan wrote: »
    I weigh more then, and am really hungry too. Dark chocolate and low-calorie foods are great! I'll eat a lot of popcorn (160cals for 2&!/2 cups) when I need something salty and crunchy, and massive amounts of roasted veggies.

Thanks, I wonder why we get so hungry before, it’s difficult to say no when you would literally fight someone for food lol. I’ll try the popcorn and veggies idea, sounds like a lot of food for not s lot of calories, thanks! :)
  • TannyPants1
    Options
    I usually go up 2lbs when I ovulate, it's pretty normal either then or around your period. Best thing to do is to look over time vs week to week

Thanks xxx
  • TannyPants1
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I'm hungry and heavier before,during TOM and also during ovulation,I've been weighing daily and keeping track on and app so I just know why its so up and down,just keep on counting your calories,stay active and it all evens out

Thanks, yeah I’m gonna keep a track as knowing why did make the 1lb gain a bit easier to handle! I usually gain up to 7lbs at this time so was still good in my eyes xx
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You get hungrier due to burning slightly more calories and the hormone changes. Here's a thread I started awhile ago about this.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1

If it's a big problem and you have a period that's regular enough that you can anticipate your hungry times, I suggest upping calories for a day or two your big hungries hit. Keep them up for 3-5 days (less of a deficit or even eating at maintenance) and you should feel better.
  • stacyemmynik
    stacyemmynik Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and then average my weight for the week to determine loss (on days i wake up for work at 5am i always weigh at least a 1lb more than days i wake up at 8am). By doing this i can even do monthly averages if i want. I dont focus on the daily numbers very much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You get hungrier due to burning slightly more calories and the hormone changes. Here's a thread I started awhile ago about this.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1

If it's a big problem and you have a period that's regular enough that you can anticipate your hungry times, I suggest upping calories for a day or two your big hungries hit. Keep them up for 3-5 days (less of a deficit or even eating at maintenance) and you should feel better.

Yup, my appetite going up is the first sign I'm premenstrual. I eat at maintenance for a few days.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Gone up 3lbs this week despite being in a fair steep deficit. It’s entirely down to ovulation. It’ll come off (plus a bit more hopefully) over the next couple of week.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yup, my appetite going up is the first sign I'm premenstrual. I eat at maintenance for a few days.

I have to do this as well. I never had any premenstrual symptoms until I hit my upper 30's then..boom! Now, in my 40's and perimenopause is approaching, it definitely hits hard. If I'm cutting, I just have to go to maintenance for a couple days or else I'm miserable. Don't even notice it in the grand scheme of my losses.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I have to do this as well. I never had any premenstrual symptoms until I hit my upper 30's then..boom! Now, in my 40's and perimenopause is approaching, it definitely hits hard. If I'm cutting, I just have to go to maintenance for a couple days or else I'm miserable. Don't even notice it in the grand scheme of my losses.

I don't usually get really hungry but once I 39ish, I started getting really tired during those last few days before my period. It's interesting how the symptoms change over time.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I don't usually get really hungry but once I 39ish, I started getting really tired during those last few days before my period. It's interesting how the symptoms change over time.

Oh yes,,I get super tired! I thought I was coming down with a cold last week,nope just lovely pms
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I go up around ovulation, up to 3-4 lbs but sometimes less. It’s all water retention, I feel the bloat and notice I pee less. I also have a day where I’m ravenous and just inhale all the carbs I can find. That usually doesn’t help the water retention lol.

That can hang around until the week before my period, when it all comes out. Ends up that I’m usually at my lowest point for the month during my period. The weird thing is this is just the last couple years- I used to retain water during.

I try and reduce carb and alcohol intake when I know I’m getting close to ovulation to limit the water retention, but sometimes that just ain’t gonna happen, and I just live with it til my body naturally decides to get rid of it. I’m in a long-term slow weight loss and so close to goal weight that I take it month by month and try not to worry about the “fake” water weight gains and losses.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    All the other women will be going through the same thing, unless they've finished with all that, so at least you are on a level playing field.
    Try not to stress about fluctuations as long as the long term trend is downwards.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

So true and that thread was so helpful when I first read it. In the past I have tried to keep my calories low and keep my mind off of hunger when I hit those few days before but it backfired as I found myself eating copious amounts of peanut butter out of the jar, which is something I never did before. Ended up at like 3000 calories for the day. Kinda worth it.
  • alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just adding to the thread. Ovulation is usually my biggest issue with “weight gain”. I’m always up a couple pounds and then the next week it wooshes off. I don’t usually have extra hunger or cravings around my menses so I guess I’m lucky in that regard. Everyone is different but I did notice many people say they up their calories slightly to combat the hunger issue. I hope you find what works for you
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I tend to be SUPER disciplined during my monthlies with calories. Last month showed no scale change, only drastic inches lost from all over. I DID NOT expect that, as I was one who'd lose good numbers during my TOM.
  • thelegendofsakura89
    thelegendofsakura89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm usually good for a 4-5 lb gain the week before til a few days into my ToM. I'm on the pill, and I think that also contributes to the water retention. 😢