Just curious...how long did it take you to lose 20 pounds? (

Options
I'm sure it varies by person, but just wondering so that I can set a realistic goal date, thanks!

Replies

• smcolton
    smcolton Posts: 78
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you have to lose to begin with. I wanted to lose 22 pounds. Going from 162 to 140. I am at 19 pounds. I started 01/31/11.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It took me something like 7-8 weeks to lose my first 20.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yep! Depends on how much you need to lose. I need to lose a lot, so it only took me a month.
  • vampee
    vampee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight at the moment. I am sure the heavier you are the easier it is to lose 20 pounds. However, if you are close to your ideal weight then it is going to be a little harder.

It also depends if you are just cutting calories or are you excercising as well.

I am down 16 pounds and it has been about a month in a half. However, I want to lose sixty odd pounds.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and it took me almost seven months to lose 20 pounds.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes definately depends on your starting weight. For someone small, it will take much longer. When I started I had 30 lbs to lose....the first 20 took me about 4 months and it's going to take me much longer to shed this last 10. When I started I weighed 169.2 to give you an idea. Best of luck to you:)
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have quite a bit to lose and am almost at 20 lbs in about a month...but again if you don't have much to lose it will take much longer...
  • 15sterrity
    15sterrity Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    90 days to lose 25lbs. 184 to 159lbs.
  • shawtsy
    shawtsy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your ideal weight, the longer it takes. In general, if you are within 15-25 lbs of that weight, it will be much harder than someone who is 50 or 75 lbs heavier. My ideal range is between 145 and 155, which my 150 my general happy weight. I started out at 179lb (post-pregnancy), and the first 10-15 lbs were much "easier" than those below 160. It took me from 2/16/11 to this point to get me to 154 (or 25 lbs). It took to the first week of June to loose 20 lbs (4ish months).
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Just as mentioned by the others, it all depends on how much weight a person has to lose. The heavier the person the faster the weight comes off in the beginning. Then, it slows down as you get closer to goal. I had over 100 pounds to lose, so I was able to lose the first 20 pounds in about 1 months time. Be patient, everything happens all in good time. Good Luck in your journey!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 months to lose twenty pounds.. but I didn't have that much to lose in the first place.

I started in January at 180 and by June had reached 160.. after that its been one experiment after another to get these last 10 to drop.

I don't think it's really realistic to put a time frame on weight loss.. when it happens, it happens is how i look at it.
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm lost 17 pounds, started first week of July, so about six weeks for 17 pounds. My husband is going much slower, six weeks and he at eight pounds lost. It different for everyone. I notice the more weight you have, it first goes really quickly and then starts slowing down. I think I am going to take your idea about the time frame. I think it more important that you keep going to make a deadline. Hopefully.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 weeks in and have lost 18.5 pounds, but I'm slowing down/stalling a bit at the moment. I'm estimating 10 weeks for the first 20 pounds.