Starting weightlifting (please help)

Options
ellieebxx1
ellieebxx1 Posts: 14 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey! My name is Ellie. I'm planning to start weight lifting as if like to tone my body, gain some muscle and be stronger overall. However I have a few doubts..

I've read the pinned forums related to this. Its advised to get used to these 5 first:
1. Back squat
2. Bench press
3. Deadlift
4. Standing overhead press
5. Bent over row

However, I have a few questions

1. How do I know how much weight am I supposed to use?
2. Do I use different weights for different exercises?
3. Should I build up endurance first through cardio or is it safe to start out with weightlifting?
4. I'm a university student. I can't go around buying those fancy guide books. What's a lifting routine I can follow as a beginner or where can I find one ?
5. Is there anything I need to know before starting?

Here are my stats incase it is needed:
154 cm (basically a bit over 5'0)
51.6 kg (113 lbs)
I'm basically sendentary for the most part

If you can answer any of those questions for me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much in advance 💕

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5 (the program you’re talking about) has an app that you can track your lifts on. They have suggested weights to start with, but if you’re uncomfortable with lifting that much to start out with you can always go with the empty bar on most of them. As for how to do the lifts, they do have video tutorials on their website.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    What she said. However, there are some general answers which are true for most people.

1) Start with a weight low enough that you can focus on your form. For absolute beginners, just the bar or even a fake bar such as a broomstick may be a good idea until you master form. Then increase every time you work out until you stop making newbie gains. The program will give more details.
    2) Yes. The weight you use is specific to what you can handle for that specific exercise.
    3) You don't need cardio endurance to begin weightlifting. However, if you are very out of shape you may need to progress slowly at first so your ligaments get used to what you're doing and you have a better chance of avoiding injury.
    4) You can find what you need online for free. Search for stronglifts 5x5.
    5) Watch videos, and if you can, find a person who knows what they're doing to go with you and help you with form at first. But you can definitely start by yourself and learn as you go.
  • stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Exercise_Order
    I'm doind stronglifts 5x5 at the moment. I've noticed a big increase in strength and in my appearance too. It's a simple routine aswell. Start on a weight you can lift comfortably at first, so you can get good form and avoid injury. Once you can do 5 sets of 5 with good form put the weight up. Click the link and it explains it all.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that has been said here. I actually started with SL5x5 as well.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com they have sooo many free workouts with weights that you can all do in your room. They give coaching tips about lifting too and explain the moves prettt throughly too.
  • ellieebxx1
    ellieebxx1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the amazing answers !

I've checked out the SL5x5 and found the app as well. Hoping to start out soon. I'm kind of scared tbh but everyone's gotta start somewhere!

It seems pretty lame to start out with an empty bar tbh 😂 but I think everybody would be too busy to notice me

Again thank you so much !
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You will do great, don’t worry if you start with an empty bar, quite often the bar on its own can weigh 20kg.

Good luck B)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »
    You will do great, don’t worry if you start with an empty bar, quite often the bar on its own can weigh 20kg.

Good luck B)

There is the "women's barbell" which is 15kg or the normal barbells are 20kg (other implements can be more, but the standard ones are 20kg)

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    ellieebxx1 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for all the amazing answers !

I've checked out the SL5x5 and found the app as well. Hoping to start out soon. I'm kind of scared tbh but everyone's gotta start somewhere!

It seems pretty lame to start out with an empty bar tbh 😂 but I think everybody would be too busy to notice me

Again thank you so much !

You won't be laughing once you realize how heavy that bar is for certain exercises at your size (especially something like OHP).
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of Starting Strength, even if you don't follow the program, it's an invaluable resource for learning the compound lifts.