Oatmeal help...

Options
I know this place never sleeps, so am banking on a quick response. ;)

How do you log oatmeal? The amount you used to cook it, or the amount after it's cooked? ( I know it seems to be a Derp question lol )

Say, you measured out 1 cup dry oats, cooked it according to package directions. Now you have 1 cup dry oats cooked that comes to roughly about 2 cups of cooked oatmeal. Sooooooooo what do you log?

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Scan the barcode, look at what options it gives you, normally it will give 100g unprepared. One cup = 90g approx
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I go by the package and measure it dry. I think 1/2 a cup of dry oats is 180 cals and that’s a single serving, so two cups of cooked (=one cup dry) is just twice that.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Dry oats calories + milk calories + brown sugar calories + butter calories + whatever fruits and nuts I use, all logged by weight.

Oats and anything that tends to soak water (pasta, rice...etc) are best logged dry. In fact, most foods are best weighted and logged before preparing if possible because of how methods of cooking affect moisture level.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    the oats I buy say 100g as sold....so weigh dry
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I weigh dry. I do a half a serving since I always mix it with a bunch of stuff. 20g dry of the brand I use comes out to 75 cal and is approximately 1/4 cup. Then I measure out the PB2, cocoa powder, stevia, fruit or whatever I feel like that day.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I measure 1/2 cup dry.
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thank you Everybody!! Since my favorite go to oatmeal breakfast is the cook up kind ( non packet ). I put my recipe in MFP, made it, found my serving size, and divided by that.

You all have been a great help! :)

I make a banana nut bread oatmeal. Here is my recipe as a thank you:

Serves 3 ;)

126 g Banana ( a few days old, browning )
    4 oz Milk, Skim

1 cup dry oats

2 cups boiling water
    3 T Ground Walnuts
    2 T Brown Sugar
    dash of salt

I put the water , walnuts, brown sugar, and salt on to boil.

Slice my banana into half circles and place them in the bowl.

Once the water is boiling I add the oats and cook until all water is gone.

Then I top the banana with the oatmeal, and the oatmeal with the milk.

P.S. if others are sharing your pot of oats, they need to get their own banana and milk topping...lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    While plain oatmeal is not very caloric, let me say this: Every batch of bulk oatmeal I buy is a different measure for the same weight, with quite a surprising variation, even when I buy at the same place. I cook 30g of oatmeal, and scoop it with a 1/4C measure*. For some batches of oatmeal, 30g is a heaping 1/4C, for some a scant 1/4C, and anywhere in between.

Weigh it raw, would be my advice. Put the oatmeal container on the scale, zero (tare) the scale, scoop out the oatmeal, read the negative on the scale. It's the amount you took out. So easy! :)

* Don't worry, I'm eating more than 1/4C oatmeal. I'm adding mixed berries, walnuts, hemp seed, flax seed, cinnamon, blackstrap molasses, and plain Greek yogurt. Yum.