Am I pre diabetic?

Options
Ok so I just got my lab results online and I’ve beenbinge eating for up to 3 days. I’ve told my doctor about it and they’ve prescribed me pills. But I am worried! I opened the results online and automatically it was in red it says my glucose level was 56 mg/dL what does that mean and why haven’t my doctor called with concerns I was in a non fasting state when I took it and I am 29 years of age. Isn’t that level too dangerous yes I’ve been extremely dizzy could it be impredianetic? When I’ve binged it was mainly on sweets. Should I be hospitalized?

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You need to get in and talk with your DR. Sooner rather than later. First off you need to make sure you understand exactly which blood tests you are actually looking at. There are many that are done. So you are looking at one, making a guess that could be way off base.

This is a perfect example. Glucose level of what? Was this a pinprick test? Or one where they filled up a bottle as they did via a vein in your arm? Reason I say this. I am a T2 (type2) diabetic for many years. And you literally have given so little info, anything anyone states here is bogus as we do not have enough information to give good info.

What type of pills exactly did your Dr prescribe for you, with them not seeing your blood test results or talking to you about it?
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You should consider calling the local hospital and talking to someone in the emerency room. Tell them which blood test, what the results were, what pills you were given. And if they think it can wait until your Dr office opens, or if you need to be seen right away. Do not drive yourself. Or if you have health coverage, do you have a nurse line that is available 24/7 you could try that as well. Good Luck.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like the idea for calling a nurse if you have that option. I do on my insurance.

My first thought is that your dr would have called you if you needed to be hospitalized. But, I am just a stranger on the internet
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say exactly what others have said... just to make sure you know that we're all thinking it lol. Talk to your doctor asap
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    As others have said, no one on an internet message board is going to be able to ask that question to you. Call your doctor or the nurse line at the insurance company. If you can't get in touch with your insurance company or doctor, you can always go to an urgent care.

I am curious, however, why your doctor would have you take a non-fasted glucose test, as that is not the standard. And honestly a blood sugar that low would make me think of hypoglycemia, no pre-diabetes.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yeah you need to go back and talk to your doctor and ask questions. As a pre-diabetic myself, I can tell you that 56 is pretty low and i would feel extremely sick at that level. Are you shaky, sweaty, etc? Pre-diabetic would be a higher number. Unless you meant 5.6 ? Which still is pretty close to normal. Did they give you a blood sugar monitor to test your sugar at home? You definitely need some follow up with your doctor.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Ask your medical professionals.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    56 mg/dL is really low... It would be marked in red because it is _below_ the normal range. Above the normal range would also be marked in red, and a high number would be more typical of a diabetic. It is a little surprising that you would have such a low blood sugar for a non-fasted test (to be clear, non-fasted means you ate food before the test. Fasted means you did not eat food for 12+ hours before the test.) and you should probably talk to your doctor about that. If it was a fasted test, then it is not too surprising that it is so low, especially if you fasted for much longer than 12 hours. It is still something to talk to your doctor about- 56 mg/dL is pretty low and you probably feel really terrible with blood glucose that low. It may be contributing to your binging (eating a lot of carbs will bring up your blood sugar)

But as mentioned, there is another way to measure blood glucose, which is in the units of mmol/L. 5.6 mmol/L is equal to 100 mg/dL, which is pretty normal for a non-fasted blood glucose.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    A glucose of 56 is low normal is 80 for fasting. So in this case you would be hypoglycemia hence the dizziness.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you are dizzy, then something is wrong. It may or may not be related to your test results. You need to get yourself to a medical professional rather than asking random people on the internet about it.
  • RjMaan
    RjMaan Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Last week. I checked the glucose level of my mom and it was 110 while the normal range is about 70 to 110. My mom's glucose level was right at the edge of normal range. Your glucose is low than the normal range. May be you have the low sugar level issue. Moreover you can also check the stats of authentic sites like Wikipedia and Qanda.
    [link removed by mods]
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    RjMaan wrote: »
    Last week. I checked the glucose level of my mom and it was 110 while the normal range is about 70 to 110. My mom's glucose level was right at the edge of normal range. Your glucose is low than the normal range. May be you have the low sugar level issue. Moreover you can also check the stats of authentic sites like Wikipedia and Qanda.
    [link removed by mods]

Wikipedia is not normally a great place to seek medical advice. Not everything you read on there is correct.
    Calling a doctor would be a better idea.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    [link removed by mods].

"Authentic sides" are you freaking kidding me? I can assure you that doctors and nurses are not allowed to cite wikipedia in their research, specifically because anyone can edit it (ETA: not credible). OP needs to see the doctor, or as others have suggested if a nurse with the insurance company is available, not get medical advice from either here or wikipedia.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    [link removed by mods].
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

Wikipedia is not normally a great place to seek medical advice. Not everything you read on there is correct.
    Calling a doctor would be a better idea.
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

"Authentic sides" are you freaking kidding me? I can assure you that doctors and nurses are not allowed to cite wikipedia in their research, specifically because anyone can edit it (ETA: not credible). OP needs to see the doctor, or as others have suggested if a nurse with the insurance company is available, not get medical advice from either here or wikipedia.

So much of this!!

Wikipedia is not a bad place to start, but check the sources cited. Dig into the background, etc.

It can be wrong or biased and often is. Just as often, it's correct and useful. If I want to know the name of an actor from a role, I'll check Wikipedia if I'm on my phone because IMDB mobile is about useless. OTOH, if I want to know something more substantive, I'm going to not necessarily trust Wikipedia or for that matter Web MD for medical advice. If I'm pretty sure I know the right answer and just need to check spelling or background I may take a peek, but It's just not a trusted source for a reason.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am a nurse, if your bs was 56, your bs is low. If your a1c was 5.6, that's fine. If you are actively dieting, you are probably not eating enough. Especially if you are exercising heavy. That being said, call...your.....doctor... MFP is full of crazy people like me.