How to make Overnight Oats?

Options
Hi All

How do I make overnight oats? It is milk, greek yogurt and oats and then any fruit I want to add?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Yup. I've made it then added protein powder for extra protein and flavour too. You can add what you like - fruit, nuts, seeds, nut butters etc
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Basically, that is all you need to do. Oatmeal ( I found out the hard way not to use steel cut oats, it doesn't work very well, at least for me), liquid (water, milk, almond milk or whatever you prefer) and any other things you may want to add. Fruit, nuts, honey, cinnamon. You can make it sweet or savory, and there are a lot of recipes, just google it and enjoy.
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks muchly...So do I add both milk AND yogurt or can I do it with either just milk or just yogurt...
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've tried this and the results were not pretty. I used old fashioned oats, milk and yogurt plus some dried fruit. The oats just had a soggy texture to them. It was not appetizing. How should they be coming out and what could I be doing wrong?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    MaddyT122 wrote: »
    Ok, I've tried this and the results were not pretty. I used old fashioned oats, milk and yogurt plus some dried fruit. The oats just had a soggy texture to them. It was not appetizing. How should they be coming out and what could I be doing wrong?

They will be soggy.... You're soaking them in liquid. For texture, consider adding nuts or seeds
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    Thanks muchly...So do I add both milk AND yogurt or can I do it with either just milk or just yogurt...

I would use both... Or loosen your yoghurt with water if you're trying to save calories.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've never done just yogurt but i think if you do and then bake them for 30 minutes the outcome is quite appealing. I usually add 60g oats, 50g yogurt and then water so that their is plenty of liquid for the oats. add in frozen fruit, chia seeds and jam. Then in the morning a good stir and 2 mins in the microwave with some extra liquid. I also love it with coconut milk, coconut, banana, peanut butter, chocolate, fresh fruit combinations. I will add protein powder sometimes as well and just less oats. If you don't really like porridge i wouldnt recommend these though
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    heres an amazing plant based version:

1 cup coconut milk / almond
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    35g quick cooking oats
    2 dates finely chopped -- this will soften overnight and leak the sweetness to the milk
    1 teaspoon chia seeds (omega's !)
    if my milk is unsweetened , i add a tablespoon chocolate protein powder ( i use orgain or vega one)

i use a full cup of milk cuz i like mine liquidy to hydrate more lol
    but add less if you wish ;)