Recommend good reads?

Options
tefii
tefii Posts: 31
So am interested in reading some good books. I recently read. Big girl by Danielle Steel and Women Food and God by Geneen Roth. I absolutely loved them both. So am looking for some new favorites.

Some books I enjoyed:
- Exit here by: Jason Myers
-The hunger games by: Suzanne Collins
- Hearts Delight by: Per Nilsson
-1984 (currently reading)

Did you read something super good lately?
Give me some titles of some books you enjoyed!
Am totally up for some new reads :)

xoxo
-Tefii

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    1. In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto - by Michael Pollan
    2. Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes - by Mark Bittman (I'm reading it)
    3. The Omnivore's Dilemma - by Michael Pollan (trying to get a book on CDs version)
  • tefii
    Options
    wow they all look great especially the "In defense of food" Thanks!
  • gabrielleshannonhatt
    Options
    i would firstly like to apologize if my book choices sounds beyond lame. haha

last year I read this book: fallen by lauren kate.
    i'm currently reading the second book in the series called: torment.

it's on the basis of the twilight saga, but beyond better. It's about angels and demons, but with you're typical story of love.
    it's my girly guilty pleasure, i guess you could say.

when i was in high school i read a series of books that i could just not put down.
    the author is Amelia Atwater-Rhodes.
    her books: in the forests of the night,
    then there's demond in my view,
    then there's shattered mirror,
    then midnight prey.
    ***all good reads.

Then my last to ultimately favorite books: The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause
    and then her other book: Blood and Chocolate.

Like I said before I'm sorry if my choices are utterly lame. haha

oh another decent book is farenheit 451

:)
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    Jamrach's Menagerie...not sure who the author is.
    A Long Fatal Love Chase...Louisa May Allcot (sp?)
    To Kill a Mockingbird...author?
  • JMuzzy
    JMuzzy Posts: 63
    Options
    just finished Kiterunner (awesome), starting The Help (love it), and next up on my list is a biography by Portia de Rossi about her eating disorder called Unbearable Lightness (will let you know :D).
    my hub also just read Stolen Life by jaycee dugard in one day (and he hates reading).
    <3
  • tefii
    Options

it's on the basis of the twilight saga, but beyond better. It's about angels and demons, but with you're typical story of love.

when i was in high school i read a series of books that i could just not put down.
    then midnight prey.
    ***all good reads.

Then my last to ultimately favorite books: The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause

not lame at all i read the twilight saga too and the harry potter tehe lets keep that between us ;)
    Thankkks for the recommendations am stoked to hit up the library now !
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    just finished Kiterunner (awesome), starting The Help (love it), and next up on my list is a biography by Portia de Rossi about her eating disorder called Unbearable Lightness (will let you know :D).
    my hub also just read Stolen Life by jaycee dugard in one day (and he hates reading).
    <3

I've been wanting to read portia's book! let me know how it is...
  • tefii
    Options
    <3

Pleasee let me know how the unbearable lightness is sounds like an impacting read!!
  • gabrielleshannonhatt
    Options

then midnight prey.
    ***all good reads.

not lame at all i read the twilight saga too and the harry potter tehe lets keep that between us ;)
    Thankkks for the recommendations am stoked to hit up the library now !

some other good books are by emily hopkins:
    crank
    impulse
    burned
    glass

she tells the stories in a form of poems. they're great reads. it's always hard for me to put them down when i've started reading. i've probably read them all 20 times. haha
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    Sophie Kinsella's books
    The Host by Stephanie Meyer
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
    Dan Brown's books

ahhhhhh! i love to read!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher is AMAZING. I'm reading the newest one, Ghost Story, right now. The first one is called Storm Front. It's about a wizard named Harry Dresden, who is a private investigator-type in Chicago. Him and his way-interesting friends and allies battle supernatural and "normal" forces alike. It's a really really really addictive series, and evenpretty humorous. :D

The "Thirst" series by Christopher Pike is really good, as well. They were originally called The Last Vampire series back in the 90's, and there were 6 books total, but now they've re-issued them and called them the Thirst Series, and even added 2 more in the series, with more coming out. The newest one just came out last week, actually. It's about a woman named Sita, who is the last vampire (or so she thinks...). She's over 5,000 years old, and the tale jumps around from the present day, to the past, and everywhere in-between. It's definitely not "tame" like the Twilight series, though, and I honestly am surprised it's found in the teens/young adult section, because of the profanity, sex, and crazy amounts of violence in it. :P

Some of my other favorites are Memoirs of a Geisha, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, The Lovely Bones, Undone, and the Chronicles of Narnia. :)
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Courage of Fear by Barbar Boyer-its okay but on my list to read are

Still Alice
    Ten Thousand Saints
    The Most Dangerous Thing

Can wait to dig into one of these!!
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A friend read the book by Portia and loved it!!
  • rachelleh09
    Options
    on the topic of healthy eating, on this weight loss site. I HIGHLY reccomend the kind diet by alicia silverstone..
  • tefii
    Options
    Yey thanks guys. I loved the host! & the lovely bones <33
    Need to read geisha one ive always wanted to try it!
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    Yey thanks guys. I loved the host! & the lovely bones <33
    Need to read geisha one ive always wanted to try it!

Have you seen the movie? I personally really loved the movie, but it left out a LOT (including the ending!!).
  • tefii
    Options
    no i haven't seen the movie.. but if it's anything like the novel "My sister's keeper" and the version with the movie which completely changed than am glad I haven't seen it because I was very disappointed.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    no i haven't seen the movie.. but if it's anything like the novel "My sister's keeper" and the version with the movie which completely changed than am glad I haven't seen it because I was very disappointed.

Ohhh no, the movie is definitely worth seeing, IMO. there were just some elements that were left out...and honestly, they wouldn't have made the movie any better. The "extra" stuff is better suited for the book.:smile:
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Just finished "Juliet Immortal"...fun and a quick read

http://www.staceyjay.com/juliet-immortal/
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Sex on the Moon.
    Amazing true book about a guy that steals from NASA.