Snacks at work to munch on!

Options
Okay so I work for a company doing tech support (great job, great pay and I love it and my conworkers). Down side? I’m sitting on my butt allday munching on snacks because they encourage us to do this.

What I really want to do is start eating the right foods etc.. something that will help with my weight loss etc.... so suggestions are a must pretty please!

I’m a grazer so I literally munch through out the day so something that will help me - I’m thinking dried cranberries but that’s all I’m coming up with :/

Can you guys recommend me some healthy filling snacks!

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    How are they encouraging the snacks? is the company providing them? I was a frequent snacker for a long time, not because I needed to eat or even that I was hungry, I just always packed them with my lunch for work. I just stopped packing the extra stuff. Instead I drink a ton of water and black coffee throughout the day.
  • janellereasoner
    janellereasoner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you have a place to spit out the pits, cherries are the best for desk snacking. They're delicious, and each one takes a minute to eat because you have to eat around the pit, so it's impossible to eat them too fast.
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have the same problem! My co-worker has a BUCKET OF FREE CANDY outside her office door. I walk past the candy bucket like 20 times a day. Even if I ignore the candy 95 times out of a 100, I'm still eating it 5 times a week that I don't need to.
    Something I did, which is kind of weird but it worked, was put up a poster on my office wall that said "0 days since a candy incident" and then marked off every day that I managed to not eat any. And then set myself different goals - a month, 100 days, etc.
    Alternative snacks - I have almonds, which are good for me because I like them but I don't like them enough to chew through them mindlessly. Microwave popcorn is also good. I also have mints at my desk and I've found it's helpful to have a mint after I've eaten something to help send a signal to my brain that I'm done with eating that thing now.
  • KiwiGirl91
    KiwiGirl91 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    How are they encouraging the snacks? is the company providing them? I was a frequent snacker for a long time, not because I needed to eat or even that I was hungry, I just always packed them with my lunch for work. I just stopped packing the extra stuff. Instead I drink a ton of water and black coffee throughout the day.

They do as well as breakfast for early morning meetings - as well as numerous amounts of vending machines around the work place and switching between departments and working means 95% of my day I’m sitting at my desk working and munching
  • KiwiGirl91
    Options
    If you have a place to spit out the pits, cherries are the best for desk snacking. They're delicious, and each one takes a minute to eat because you have to eat around the pit, so it's impossible to eat them too fast.

I wish :( cherries are so damn expensive here more so cause we’re not in season yet - I’ve considered dried fruit as an option (I’m in winter atm ) :3
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How do they encourage snacking? This is absurd. You are an adult. Bring healthy snacks from home and make it a point to eat them at certain times. Grazing can be dangerous. Hummus/veggies, egg cups, small salad with a protein or fruit.
  • KiwiGirl91
    Options
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »
    How do they encourage snacking? This is absurd. You are an adult. Bring healthy snacks from home and make it a point to eat them at certain times. Grazing can be dangerous. Hummus/veggies, egg cups, small salad with a protein or fruit.

The line of tech support that I work in is in a call center - so everything we do is timed so they encourage us to have snacks or food at our desks so we don’t have to get up and leave etc.. unless it’s a bathroom break or or lunch most the day we’re at our desk.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

The line of tech support that I work in is in a call center - so everything we do is timed so they encourage us to have snacks or food at our desks so we don’t have to get up and leave etc.. unless it’s a bathroom break or or lunch most the day we’re at our desk. [/quote]

That's fine but, you have the choice to bring healthy snacks and eat them at certain times. Pretty sure they are not standing over you a gun telling you to "eat your snack now. "

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    That's fine but, you have the choice to bring healthy snacks and eat them at certain times. Pretty sure they are not standing over you a gun telling you to "eat your snack now. "
    That would be a fun job - for me.
  • KiwiGirl91
    edited June 2018
    Options

The line of tech support that I work in is in a call center - so everything we do is timed so they encourage us to have snacks or food at our desks so we don’t have to get up and leave etc.. unless it’s a bathroom break or or lunch most the day we’re at our desk.

Definitely lol that’s why I asked if anyone could suggest ones that I could take in :) I’m starting out my healthy eating / weight loss journey so that is why I asked. I wanted to know what are types of food that are good for me and not going to make me want to binge at the end of the day.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will prevent you from going on a "binge at the end of the day" is discipline.
    You will probably "want" to regardless. The point is that you decide not to.
  • KiwiGirl91
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    The only thing that will prevent you from going on a "binge at the end of the day" is discipline.
    You will probably "want" to regardless. The point is that you decide not to.

I know :) that’s one thing I’m going to have to train myself on and if I fail I’ll try again twice as hard.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think ZERO snacks, as cqbkaju keeps suggesting, is the best option by far.

If you truly need snacks all day long, then I think it just means your breakfast, lunch, and dinner need some tweaking to be more satiating meals.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I think what the OP meant to ask was how to avoid all the temptation for treats at work. And it's hard. I work in a library where there are frequent catered staff meetings, as well as tons of cakes, cookies, chocolate, and chips in the break room. It's super tough not to give in, and a lot of the time I will give in to a brownie. I just stop at one and make sure I bring my own snacks to tide me over.