Eskimos

Options
LMNOP55
LMNOP55 Posts: 1,160 Member
You never hear about them. What are they up to?

Replies

• mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    :D:D:D
  • mustacheU2Lift
    Options
    Inuits maybe hunting whales? Is the cultural appropriate for me to assume that?
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @CoffeeAndContour

thank you.
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @mustacheU2Lift - yes you're right! :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Dreamed I was an eskimo
    Frozen wind began to blow
    Under my boots and around my toes
    The frost that bit the ground below
    It was a hundred degrees below zero...

And my mama cried
    And my mama cried
    Nanook, a-no-no
    Nanook, a-no-no
    Don't be a naughty eskimo
    Save your money, don't go to the show

Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
    Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
    Well I turned around and I said ho, ho
    And the northern lights commenced to glow
    And she said, with a tear in her eye
    Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow
    Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow
  • itwentthere
    itwentthere Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Probably kissing
  • mustacheU2Lift
    Options
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    Inuits maybe hunting whales? Is the cultural appropriate for me to assume that?
    I really don't know. I've honestly never heard "inuit" used in the media or elsewhere.

Its considered a native american group in the northern american region.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    @cee134 wrote: »
    The two main peoples known as "Eskimo" are: (1) the Alaskan Iñupiat peoples, Greenlandic Inuit, and the mass-grouping Inuit peoples of Canada, and (2) the Yupik of eastern Siberia and Alaska. The Yupik comprise speakers of four distinct Yupik languages: one used in the Russian Far East and the others among people of Western Alaska, Southcentral Alaska and along the Gulf of Alaska coast. A third northern group, the Aleut, is closely related to these two. They share a relatively recent common ancestor, and a language group (Eskimo-Aleut).

The word "Eskimo" derives from phrases that Algonquin tribes used for their northern neighbors. The Inuit and Yupik peoples generally do not use it to refer to themselves, and the governments in Canada and Greenland have ceased using it in official documents.

But what about USA? What do they call them in Alaska?

Alaskans?
  • jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The two main peoples known as "Eskimo" are: (1) the Alaskan Iñupiat peoples, Greenlandic Inuit, and the mass-grouping Inuit peoples of Canada, and (2) the Yupik of eastern Siberia and Alaska. The Yupik comprise speakers of four distinct Yupik languages: one used in the Russian Far East and the others among people of Western Alaska, Southcentral Alaska and along the Gulf of Alaska coast. A third northern group, the Aleut, is closely related to these two. They share a relatively recent common ancestor, and a language group (Eskimo-Aleut).

The word "Eskimo" derives from phrases that Algonquin tribes used for their northern neighbors. The Inuit and Yupik peoples generally do not use it to refer to themselves, and the governments in Canada and Greenland have ceased using it in official documents.

We call them Alaskans, Inupiat,Inuit, Yupik. I live in Alaska and the only time I hear Eskimo is when someone is referring to Eskimo Pie ice cream bars, or Eskimo Ice cream.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

Alaskan Natives.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Alaskan Natives.

I thought is was Native Alaskans >:)