Long timers: I need help after six years (yes, TMI will be involved)

nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I had successfully maintained for six years until January. At that point I put on 10 pounds and ran into two problems. I'm looking for help. The weight came on very suddenly but I haven't been able to lose it. That has happened to me several times after traveling over the years, but it's always gone away. It felt like water weight. THIS feels like water weight.

I am also having issues with my intestines. I am not constipated but I know they are not moving properly. I have constant reflux. Sometimes I try to eat and my stomach simply will not open because it's full and isn't emptying properly. I have never had this before. I attributed my January weight gain this, was checked out, and they found nothing. Thyroid fine. Colonoscopy normal. I take daily probiotics and kombuncha and high fiber and lately sometimes Miralax. Again, no constipation, just very very very slow movement.

What hasn't changed:

My logging and eating have not changed at all. I am set to NET 1230 calories - certainly not too much for a 5'10 59 year old woman. I typically eat a few hundred more calories because of exercise. I use an Apple Watch and have for 3 years. Before that I used a fitbit. I hit my goal every single week.

What has changed:

I was walking a lot less because the weather was miserable. That's bad because if I don't walk I definitely have trouble losing maintaining.

I've upped my sodium intake because my son needs to be on a higher salt diet. However, I don't add salt to food, I only use it on the water for my morning eggs. It's probably now a 'typical' American diet instead of the extremely low sodium I've been on for most of my adult life. I had low blood pressure. It is now over 100 for the top number!

What I've tried:

I am now walking an hour a day and hitting my stand and 30 minute/day aerobic fitness goals. This has helped me drop 3 pounds in the last month.

What I'm thinking about.

I have thought about going on a juice fast. I have never done that before but am wondering if that might help. OTOH, I had to do that in January for a day before the colonoscopy, worked really hard to establish healthy gut bacteria after that, and I'm back to ground zero.

Very low carb diet. My son needs to do this anyway for migraines and my husband has celiac disease, so I'm wondering if getting a really hard, fast kick start to weight loss for a few weeks then going back to maintainance would help.

Nothing. Seeing if I can fix my guts and just slowly wait for the fat to blub off. Walking has helped a lot. Summer is coming. I just absolutely hate these extra 10 pounds. I have loved being thin and I just want this weight gone.

Suggestions from long timers particularly welcome!

Replies

• tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Hiatal hernia maybe? That could keep food from entering your stomach. You could maybe try smaller bites, or chew your food really well before swallowing. That would require a scope from your doctor to confirm.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    How is your water intake? With all that fiber you need to remember to drink fluids. I agree that you need an upper scope. Colonoscopy only looks at intestines not esophagus or stomach. I think you are on the right track with walking again and cutting down on salt.

I have had severe reflux and found that fruits and vegetables help esp. at night. I hardly ever have reflux now at night if I have a salad for dinner. I have a hiatal hernia and upper scope showed "severe" reflux. I am off all antacids and only take a pepcid at night if I had a big dinner and no salad.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Did they check for H pylori?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Lyrica7 wrote: »
    Did they check for H pylori?

Oh man my son had this, it was horrible trying to get that diagnosed and then treated. Total fuster cluck...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited May 2018
    Have you had a gastric emptying study or upper endoscopy? I have a disease called Gastroparesis which basically means delayed gastric (stomach) emptying where food sits in your stomach way too long. It doesn't really show up in scans (except sometimes undigested food shown in your stomach even after fasting) but can be seen in a gastric emptying study which is an easy but long test. You basically eat radioactive eggs and they scan you at 0,1,2 and 4 hrs to see how much is still in your atomach. Normal is <10% left at 4 hrs.

Fiber and fat slow down gastric emptying so if you have a motility issue it makes it way worse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroparesis
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2018
    Are you on any new medications other than that probiotic? Sometimes medications can cause weight issues. What is your goal set to? 1230 even if you are eating a few hundred back seems a little low for a 5’10” woman. If you only have 10 pounds to lose, maybe set your goal to lose 0.5 pound/week and eat back only 100 calories. Try it for 2 weeks and see if it helps. Also, is there any other activities that you like to do besides walking? Perhaps switching up you work out each day and include some strength training will help push the scale in the other direction.
    It’s hard to see the scale move up when you are doing everything right. Sometimes s change in our daily routine is all that it takes to get over the hump. Hang in there! :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Thank you for all your advice.

Singingflutelady: My son has had severe gastroparesis from chronic migraines, so I know it well. I'm pretty sure that is what I have. I am not sure why. I tried what worked for him (after a zillion tests and several years), but it has not worked for me.

I am on no meds at all.

I sent a note to my doctor and got a call back this evening. She is putting me on the Whole30 diet. I started tonight. Oddly enough, my husband has celiac, my son is on a strict low tyramine diet (which includes no cheese or soy), so the diet is not much more than a combo of the two. In fact, the whole family did something similar 5 years ago for my son on doctors orders to help his migraines.

So no scale (agh!), alcohol, dairy, sugar, or grains for a month. I can do it. Forget the weight, I am tired of feeling sick.

I will also be seeing her in the next few weeks to check out some of the other excellent suggestions you've all made. I was happy she got back to me so fast.

I have ideopathic gastroparesis so basically nobody knows why. It just appeared one day out of the blue. I do have Crohn's disease so there might be a connection but probably not
  • nxd10
    My sister has Crohns. I’m sorry.

Finished Day 1 of whole 30 (I started at noon yesterday but first whole day). I must admit I feel stuffed, I’m way under calories for two days, I have almost no reflux, and my body is working as it should. I hope this continues. If it does, I wonder why. This is quite similar to my normal diet, but obviously different in key ways.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2018

Finished Day 1 of whole 30 (I started at noon yesterday but first whole day). I must admit I feel stuffed, I’m way under calories for two days, I have almost no reflux, and my body is working as it should. I hope this continues. If it does, I wonder why. This is quite similar to my normal diet, but obviously different in key ways.

Its good to hear that already a different diet is helping, hope things keep improving and you lose those pounds that had slipped on - we can't take our eyes off the prize or weight creep happens in general and that's not even taking into consideration medical or dietary needs changing like you have found.
  • nxd10
    edited May 2018

Its good to hear that already a different diet is helping, hope things keep improving and you lose those pounds that had slipped on - we can't take our eyes off the prize or weight creep happens in general and that's not even taking into consideration medical or dietary needs changing like you have found.

What was so odd about this is that the weight didn't creep on. It came in two weeks on a normal diet. But woke today again with no reflux and when I started to eat I felt my stomach going - YES! That's what I want!

• LivingtheLeanDream

What was so odd about this is that the weight didn't creep on. It came in two weeks on a normal diet. But woke today again with no reflux and when I started to eat I felt my stomach going - YES! That's what I want!

That was odd... its strange how food intolerances can just start out of nowhere.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    The new diet the Dr. put you on can help identify what's going on. If you notice that cutting out certain foods makes you feel better, then you'll know what your triggers are. I had gastric issues and found out the cause of them after visiting my naturopathic doctor. It's amazing how many problems can be caused by gut bacteria. Hope you get better soon!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member

My wife suffered from GERD several years ago. She would have similar digestive issues to what you're describing. She ended up (after suffering a while) utilizing more of a timing eating set of rules, which offered her great relief. Ironically, she's now gluten/dairy free (similar to the Whole 30 plan but we eat rice/potatoes and quinoa, so just limited grains).

What one book said (and don't ask me for the science on this but it seemed to work) was that you don't want to eat simple starches with animal products (whether fat or protein, even dairy). Yes, this eliminates all the "good stuff" - hamburgers, pizza, etc. But something about the way your stomach digests it. You can eat animal products with vegetables, just not starchy vegetables. You can also eat starchy grains and vegetables together. Fruit it recommended by itself. I'm just saying, for her, it worked like a champ. Much less bloating and better digestion without the huge stomach swelling for a long time until it started back years later with gluten and dairy.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Several years ago I had these exact symptoms and I thought it was gastroparesis, but an ultrasound showed I had a kidney stone. I never had back pain or any of the other typical symptoms, but I could feel that I was not digesting anything. It went undetected for a long time because I'm not in the risk category--very active, drink lots of water--but I've had more since then.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    6lbs in two weeks!! wow!! that's terrific. :smiley:

Its good when any gain goes almost as quickly as it came, quite often that's not the case, not for me anyway.

Thanks for the update :smile:
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    I've had similar issues recently as well. I pinpointed mine to an ingredient in the fruit and nut bars I was eating every day. The ingredient is chicory root fiber, also known as inulin. It is added to a lot of "high fiber" foods and for some people (like me) it causes digestive upset, bloating and gas. Check your foods and supplements for that ingredient and try eliminating it from your diet to see if you notice a change.