Can weightlifting/exercise cause bleeding between cycles?

Options
I been weightlifting since January and recently right after my cycle, I started bleeding again. Not very heavy but there is still blood. I'm not having any other symptoms and wanted to know is it possible that a lot of heavy lifting can cause bleeding between cycles? Like is it stress or something, hormone imbalance? I went weightlifting the other day and the bleeding was heavy, yesterday i didn't bleed bc I didn't lift but today I woke up with more blood since I did do intense cardio before bed. Should I worry?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor please <3
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd get it checked out without doctor
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Eh doctor, that could be something serious,or not, get checked please
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It can, but you need to talk to your doctor.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things where, if it is a new behavior for your body, you should go get it checked out. It might be nothing but it could be serious and it is better to be safe than sorry.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Extra stress can cause spotting for me, including physical stress, so it's for sure possible. When I started CrossFit I bled on and off for 3 weeks, it eventually stopped once my body adjusted (or gave in, as I like to joke). If this has never happened to you before though I'd still talk to a doctor. They always suggest BC for me to stop it from happening but I've just kind of accepted it personally, but again only because I know it's not dangerous for MY body.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I do competitive powerlifting and not had this problem. This maybe normal for YOUR body during increased physical stress...but strenuous lifting has not caused this to happen to me. It seems abnormal. I'd talk to the dr.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    I been weightlifting since January and recently right after my cycle, I started bleeding again. Not very heavy but there is still blood. I'm not having any other symptoms and wanted to know is it possible that a lot of heavy lifting can cause bleeding between cycles? Like is it stress or something, hormone imbalance? I went weightlifting the other day and the bleeding was heavy, yesterday i didn't bleed bc I didn't lift but today I woke up with more blood since I did do intense cardio before bed. Should I worry?

Yes, exercise can cause bleeding between cycles.

A bicycle ride as short as 100 miles can set me off, and it has been this way for me since my early 30s.

I've been to the Dr (and you should go too), and have been through all kinds of tests, and all they can tell me is that it must have something to do with hormones.

I will add that as I went into perimenopause, it started happening a lot. I had it checked again, and discovered I'm having issues with polyps. For whatever reason the polyps + hormones + exercise really sets off the bleeding. I've had to have 2 surgeries (2015 & 2017) for them.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    A bicycle ride as short as 100 miles can set me off, and it has been this way for me since my early 30s. ...

100 miles is a short ride? I feel sad now... :/
  • PTFFit
    PTFFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    A bicycle ride as short as 100 miles can set me off, and it has been this way for me since my early 30s. ...

lmao I thought the same thing!!
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Well almost every symptom leads to hormone imbalance because I'm also getting tender feelings in my breasts (not swollen), a sudden few seconds of intense cramps, but the bleeding stopped. It was just so weird because this never happened before and I thought it was due to maybe overexercising or something.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Well almost every symptom leads to hormone imbalance because I'm also getting tender feelings in my breasts (not swollen), a sudden few seconds of intense cramps, but the bleeding stopped. It was just so weird because this never happened before and I thought it was due to maybe overexercising or something.

Nevertheless, go to a Dr and talk about it.

• Machka9
    Options
    PTFFit wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »

lmao I thought the same thing!!

Sorry! :)

The first time this happened to me was on a 400 km randonnee (400 km in 27 hours or less, including all breaks), then it happened again on a 1200 km randonnee (1200 km in 90 hours or less, including all breaks). Then it started happening quite regularly on rides of 400 km and over for a few years ... and as the years went by, it started happening on shorter rides ... 300 km, 200 km, and even 160 km (100 miles).

I do a lot of long distance cycling and this has been maddening, because even if I plan to do a ride mid-cycle, at some during or immediately after the ride, it begins. I have to be prepared on every long ride.

It does appear as though fairly strenuous/lengthy exercise messes with my hormones.

• drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hope you let us know how this goes, if you consult a doctor, which I hope you have the insurance to do. It does make sense that exercise affects hormones but I haven't heard of similar responses.