Vacation food and exercise

Options
I am going on vacation for 3 day. And I am wondering if I should stick to eating healthy and exercise or enjoy a little? Currently I’m working out 2 to 3 times 7 days a week for the last 11 months.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Myself, I'd strive to enjoy life in general, not just the 3 days. But eating at maintenance calories for the 3 days, or even banking a few extra calories in advance with extra activity or a small cut in eating, would be other possibilities. Even eating extra for 3 days isn't going to cause much harm to what you achieve over 11 months. (I've eaten above maintenance calories quite a number of times in 3 years of maintenance, and am still at a healthy weight.)

I don't recommend post-vacation cuts to "catch up", because that can risk setting up a restrict/binge cycle. (Personally, I also don't work out 7 days a week, even though I only work out once or twice a day, because rest and recovery is an important part of fitness improvement.)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It sounds horrible. I would make everyday healthy eating and exercise into something enjoyable instead.

What if he enjoys what he's doing?

OP - as Mick Jagger said, "It's all right letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back" :+1:
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure someone should be exercising 2-3 times per day 7 days a week...

but anywho.. 3 days? go crazy as long as you know you can get right back to it on day 4
  • shedsports10
    shedsports10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will make smart choices on food. There will be plenty of sea food. I will have it baked not fried should be better. I will do some walking on the beach. Maybe try jogging.
    My wife has been after me for working out 7 days a week. I should cut back a few days a week. I have hit a plateau that I can’t get under 200. Letting my body rest may be what I need to get there.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My wife has been after me for working out 7 days a week. I should cut back a few days a week. I have hit a plateau that I can’t get under 200. Letting my body rest may be what I need to get there.

"Working out" is a vague term that covers everything from short & easy to long & intense. Plus, fit people can handle more work than unfit people. As a general rule, if you feel fine, keep going. Like other animals, we're built to work frequently. You've been doing it 11 months - if it was too much, you would have known a long time ago.
    And no, resting does not help get over a fat loss plateau. Resting burns fewer calories than moving. Are you weighing all your food on a digital scale? It's common to underestimate calorie intake when eating "healthy". :+1:
  • shedsports10
    Options
    No I have not taken that next step of weighing food yet. I started my journey by gust cutting back on my portion size and added walking and elliptical 7 days a week Lost 65 doing that. Then I plateaued. Started MyFitnessPal and counting my calories and I have lost another 21. And now I have plateaued again. I have not got into any diets or anything thing to crazy yet.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Don't (go into any diets or anything too crazy).

Pick a small deficit (probably 500 Cal, fairly accurately measured) and try to find the balance between eating and exercising that you intend to keep to long term.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its 3 days not 3 months. go have fun and enjoy. get back in your routine when you return. youre not going to undo a years worth of work in 3 days.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It sounds horrible. I would make everyday healthy eating and exercise into something enjoyable instead.

As someone else said, what if he likes exercise. I start to feel like crap if I go a few days without doing some sort of exercise. We go on a big family beach vacation every couple years. I'm up, lift and back by around 10 AM to start drinking beer.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's 3 days, it won't really matter. I'd probably do whatever maximized my enjoyment of the vacation the most.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will make smart choices on food. There will be plenty of sea food. I will have it baked not fried should be better. I will do some walking on the beach. Maybe try jogging.
    No I have not taken that next step of weighing food yet. I started my journey by gust cutting back on my portion size and added walking and elliptical 7 days a week Lost 65 doing that. Then I plateaued. Started MyFitnessPal and counting my calories and I have lost another 21. And now I have plateaued again. I have not got into any diets or anything thing to crazy yet.

How tall are you?

What is your goal weight?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Walking 7 days a week is fine...the human body was made to move, not made to sit...if you count walking then I workout 5x/day just about every single day...and I mostly enjoy every minute of it...

maybe try weightlifting - it's an amazing testosterone boost and a great way to build muscle or keep muscle as you age

for vacation I usually find that I am more active overall since I'm not chained to a desk 8 hours a day...so just have fun, do stuff that sounds fun, and don't worry about the food, just be reasonable but try new stuff or have a few extra bites of treat stuff you wouldn't normally eat...it's only 3 days, so it will be fine
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Why not simply maintain while you're gone. Try everything but don't eat dieting food. You don't have to slide back off the goose into a lollapalooza. Maintain with a little bit of everythang.
  • shedsports10
    Options
    5’8 like to say 5’9”
    Like to hit 190 lbs
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I feel sad when people say they have to eat crazy to “enjoy” themselves. We see this often on here. I gather enjoyment from The people I’m with and the activities we do together, more so than the food I eat.