Treadmill - holding handles

Options
Hi, What is the affect of holding onto treadmill handles on caloric burn?

I have balance issues that are magnified on the treadmill. I walk at 4.5mph without hanging on except for when I need to quickly balance myself. When I increase speed to a jog I'm too unbalanced to let go for any length of time and get into a regular jog.

It may be I just need to get used to it since I only use the treadmill when I travel to unfamiliar locations for work.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You don’t burn as many calories when holding on from what I’ve heard. I find it hard to balance on a treadmill too for some reason.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Just run outside

I usually road run at home, but I'm traveling for work in a fairly unsafe area.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to balance as well.

What worked for me(when I must run on a treadmill) Is running at the front of the machine instead of the middle. Not so close that my belly is touching the front rail, but close enough that I feel like I could make it touch if I sped up a bit more.

I'm still super uncomfortable on treadmills and much prefer outside, but I no longer feel unbalanced.
  • funjen1972
    Options

What worked for me(when I must run on a treadmill) Is running at the front of the machine instead of the middle. Not so close that my belly is touching the front rail, but close enough that I feel like I could make it touch if I sped up a bit more.

I'm still super uncomfortable on treadmills and much prefer outside, but I no longer feel unbalanced.

I'm fairly tall and have a long stride so I feel like I can't position myself more forward or back.
    Back and I'll fall off, forward and my arms hit. I must look like I'm flailing all about lol
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I too use a treadmill when traveling. I have taken falls and scraped myself up pretty bad - twice. I now use the hotel gym rather than going outside for runs.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options

This is what I do as well.

If you have a long stride you are most likely running pretty fast, try slowing down and taking smaller steps until your balance gets better on the treadmill- the practice will definitely improve this if you start small and work up to it.

I too always use hotel gyms in lieu of running outside when traveling in an unfamiliar or unsafe area!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Why not just stick to walking on the treadmill at the speed you don't have to hang on constantly on these few occasions you need to use a treadmill?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »

I'm fairly tall and have a long stride so I feel like I can't position myself more forward or back.
    Back and I'll fall off, forward and my arms hit. I must look like I'm flailing all about lol

I'm 5'11" and I can't imagine how your arms are hitting? I did need to slightly shorten my stride, but not all that much.
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think a lot of it depends on how long you lean on the handles and how much you lean on the handles. If you're putting all your weight down on it then it will really negate your calories burned. I'm a short guy and I also feel that odd balance. I walk/run in intervals so I try mainly not to hold them during the running interval and intermittently throughout the walk.

By the way, this short guy is impressed with a 4.5 walk. I wish I had strides like that! That's a slow jog for me :smiley:
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    By the way, this short guy is impressed with a 4.5 walk. I wish I had strides like that! That's a slow jog for me :smiley:

It's something you could probably work up to if you wanted - I'm only 5'2" and I walk at 4.7mph on the treadmill for most of the hour I'm on it 5 days a week :) Thankfully I don't have balance issues while on it and don't need to use the handles.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Hi, What is the affect of holding onto treadmill handles on caloric burn?

I have balance issues that are magnified on the treadmill. I walk at 4.5mph without hanging on except for when I need to quickly balance myself. When I increase speed to a jog I'm too unbalanced to let go for any length of time and get into a regular jog.

It may be I just need to get used to it since I only use the treadmill when I travel to unfamiliar locations for work.

Any thoughts?

You're not going to burn as many calories, and you're not going to mimic what an actual unsupported run is like.

Frankly, if I'd say the choice is between not-running and running-in-a-way-that-isn't-like-actual-running, you're better off just walking the whole time. I can't imagine that running while holding on is doing you much good.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'm 5'11" and I can't imagine how your arms are hitting? I did need to slightly shorten my stride, but not all that much.

Indeed. I'm 6'1" and don't have any problem with space.

What I find is the dreadmill helps me to focus on my gait.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I have balance issues and what helps me is turning off the TV and watching my reflection in the screen. I can't run safely on the treadmill without being able to see myself.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You'll strengthen your core more if you don't hold on, try just balancing a finger on each handle. I started by holding, then gradually worked up to not. Just make sure you feel balanced.
  • funjen1972
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Why not just stick to walking on the treadmill at the speed you don't have to hang on constantly on these few occasions you need to use a treadmill?

This is really more of my question: what burns more calories...walking at 4.5 without handles, or running at 5.5 with handles (just a light one sided grip). I'm just trying to optimize my workout.
  • funjen1972
    Options
    adotbaby wrote: »
    You'll strengthen your core more if you don't hold on, try just balancing a finger on each handle. I started by holding, then gradually worked up to not. Just make sure you feel balanced.

Ahhhh, this makes sense to me! I hadn't related it to core strength. My core is weak from a surgery in November. I'm working on gaining core strength, but it is slow and I still can't push it too much without negative effects. I just introduced some body weight exercises focusing on core development.

Maybe I just need some patience!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Maybe I just need some patience!

You and me both. Along with probably everyone else on this planet. ;D
  • ishakint
    ishakint Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Why not try the elliptical? Those tend to be available in hotel gyms. Safety 1st. Always.