Oh, no! Avocado AGAIN!!!

Options
This is a question for all of those with more Keto experience than I. So many recipes call for avocado -- and I can't stand avocado! I know, I know ... Texture, taste -- yuck. Even when mixed with a good salsa for guac, I really need a LOT of salsa (and many, many margaritas!) to eat a very small amount. What is a good substitute? Thanks!

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Can’t you just leave it out?
  • celticantique13
    celticantique13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I usually do but I am concerned about my macros ...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Depends on what the recipe is to make.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you can find "green-skinned" or "florida" avocados (also sometimes called "slimcado", blegh), you might try to substitute those for regular hass avocados. The green-skinned avocados are much larger, have really smooth skin, and barely taste like anything. I use them as a fat/creamer in smoothies or in chocolate mousse. I know I've seen them at Fresh Market, and Whole Foods probably has them too. Fancier Walmarts and Krogers as well. Here is a cooking site that discusses the differences: https://chowhound.com/food-news/197515/what-is-the-difference-between-hass-and-florida-avocados/
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    @WholeFoods4Lyfe Since when are bacon fat, tallow, ghee and coconut oil considered healthy fats? All of these are very high in saturated fats (saturated fats are not considered "healthy fats"). What are "bad" fats if these are included in the healthy list? Just trans fats?

Those are all extremely healthy fats. The only one that might be suspect is bacon fat, but that has more to do with source, since you have to keep an eye on bacon processing and additives.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Nuts are very close in nutrition to avocados (by percentage not by weight). Sprinkle a few toasted slivered almonds on whatever you're making. They go well with both sweet and savory.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    @WholeFoods4Lyfe Since when are bacon fat, tallow, ghee and coconut oil considered healthy fats? All of these are very high in saturated fats (saturated fats are not considered "healthy fats"). What are "bad" fats if these are included in the healthy list? Just trans fats?

Saturated fats are not bad for you. This is old information. All because one man, Ancel Keys, wrote a paper hypothesizing that Saturated Fats were bad for you and for years people have believed that to be true. But that is all that it was, a hypothesis. It isn't true, it was never proved to be true and his theory has been widely debunked several times over. I highly recommend that you do some research surrounding his Seven Countries Study and how one sided that study was. A lot of great information out there if you just take the time to research and read it.

And to answer your question, yes, Trans Fats are the bad ones, Saturated, Unsaturated, Polyunsaturated, and Monounsaturated are all good fats and needed for proper brain and body function.

I cannot find a single paper that says healthy fats included saturated fats. The fact is that the vernacular term "healthy fats" does not include saturated fats -- whether that's "fair" or not is immaterial to what the term actually refers to. I also cannot find a single paper that concludes that saturated fats are healthy. Likewise I cannot find a single paper recommending that saturated diets in the fat should be increased or taken as supplements. Fortunately I'm not the one making the claim and therefore the burden of proof lies not with me but with you since you're the one trying to redefine the meaning of the term "healthy fats" (you would have been better off, I think, just saying "fats" and not "healthy fats").
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Saturated fats are not bad for you. This is old information. All because one man, Ancel Keys, wrote a paper hypothesizing that Saturated Fats were bad for you and for years people have believed that to be true. But that is all that it was, a hypothesis. It isn't true, it was never proved to be true and his theory has been widely debunked several times over. I highly recommend that you do some research surrounding his Seven Countries Study and how one sided that study was. A lot of great information out there if you just take the time to research and read it.

And to answer your question, yes, Trans Fats are the bad ones, Saturated, Unsaturated, Polyunsaturated, and Monounsaturated are all good fats and needed for proper brain and body function.

I cannot find a single paper that says healthy fats included saturated fats. The fact is that the vernacular term "healthy fats" does not include saturated fats -- whether that's "fair" or not is immaterial to what the term actually refers to. I also cannot find a single paper that concludes that saturated fats are healthy. Likewise I cannot find a single paper recommending that saturated diets in the fat should be increased or taken as supplements. Fortunately I'm not the one making the claim and therefore the burden of proof lies not with me but with you since you're the one trying to redefine the meaning of the term "healthy fats" (you would have been better off, I think, just saying "fats" and not "healthy fats").

This is a meta analysis of 20+ studies that concludes that saturated fats do not raise any risk factors for CVD, which is why it was thought saturated fats were unhealthy in the first place.
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/91/3/535/4597110

Not many health organizations have clued into this yet. They finally let go of cholesterol raising cholesterol, and some have let go of fat limits, but most still insist that saturated fats, the main type of fat that our body stores energy as and uses, is not healthy for us. It will take a few more years before it is widely accepted, I'm sure.
  • kpsyche
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

This is a meta analysis of 20+ studies that concludes that saturated fats do not raise any risk factors for CVZd, which is why it was thought saturated fats were unhealthy in the first place.

Not many health organizations have clued into this yet. They finally let go of cholesterol raising cholesterol, and some have let go of fat limits, but most still insist that saturated fats, the main type of fat that our body stores energy as and uses, is not healthy for us. It will take a few more years before it is widely accepted, I'm sure.

Saying that saturated fats might not increase risk factors for non-communicable disease such as CVD, CHD etc, as previously thought, is not the same as saying that saturated fats are healthy.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

Google is an amazing tool. And in all honesty, I’m not going to argue back and forth with you on this topic. I have done plenty of research on this topic, but for giggles, here’s a study to get you started. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26068959/
    I’m entitled to my factual based opinion, and your entitled to your opinion whatever pseudo science it’s based on.

And by the way, since you are the one trying to discredit my opinion about Saturated Fats, the onus is really on you to provide me with the contrary data, not the other way around.
  • kpsyche
    Options

Google is an amazing tool. And in all honesty, I’m not going to argue back and forth with you on this topic. I have done plenty of research on this topic, but for giggles, here’s a study to get you started. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26068959/
    I’m entitled to my factual based opinion, and your entitled to your opinion whatever pseudo science it’s based on.

And by the way, since you are the one trying to discredit my opinion about Saturated Fats, the onus is really on you to provide me with the contrary data, not the other way around.

In science the burden of proof falls on the person making the claim not the person disputing the claim. You're the one claiming that saturated fats are healthy; therefore it's you who has to provide reference to solid studies and "proof".

The paper you've linked to does not support your view that saturated fats are healthy. In fact it says the exact opposite. The study you've linked concludes that a reduction in saturated fats reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases. It also concluded that replacing the reduction of saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats appears to be a good strategy, but that replacing the reduced saturated fats with increased carbohydrate or monounsaturated fats intake is less useful. Nothing is said about saturated fats being healthy (it implies the opposite because reducing saturated fats in the diet they say reduces CVD risk).

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

This is a meta analysis of 20+ studies that concludes that saturated fats do not raise any risk factors for CVD, which is why it was thought saturated fats were unhealthy in the first place.

Saying that saturated fats might not increase risk factors for non-communicable disease such as CVD, CHD etc, as previously thought, is not the same as saying that saturated fats are healthy.

I know. The meta analysis said saturated fat DOES NOT raise CVD risk. Not it may not raise risk. It was very clear. No increased risk.

Saturated fat does not make people sick, and the opposite of sick is healthy.

The PURE study:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext

Findings

During follow-up, we documented 5796 deaths and 4784 major cardiovascular disease events. Higher carbohydrate intake was associated with an increased risk of total mortality (highest [quintile 5] vs lowest quintile [quintile 1] category, HR 1·28 [95% CI 1·12–1·46], ptrend=0·0001) but not with the risk of cardiovascular disease or cardiovascular disease mortality. Intake of total fat and each type of fat was associated with lower risk of total mortality (quintile 5 vs quintile 1, total fat: HR 0·77 [95% CI 0·67–0·87], ptrend<0·0001; saturated fat, HR 0·86 [0·76–0·99], ptrend=0·0088; monounsaturated fat: HR 0·81 [0·71–0·92], ptrend<0·0001; and polyunsaturated fat: HR 0·80 [0·71–0·89], ptrend<0·0001). Higher saturated fat intake was associated with lower risk of stroke (quintile 5 vs quintile 1, HR 0·79 [95% CI 0·64–0·98], ptrend=0·0498). Total fat and saturated and unsaturated fats were not significantly associated with risk of myocardial infarction or cardiovascular disease mortality.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of studies out there. Not that it would matter to you, given your dogmatic stance on the topic. If you can remove your head from the sand long enough, here are just a couple of things to start with:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648?dopt=AbstractPlus

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/01/15/two-major-studies-conclude-that-saturated-fat-does-not-cause-heart-disease/
  • vgentile990
    vgentile990 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Your not going to believe me till it happens ... while doing keto your tastes buds will change over time and you’ll actually enjoy and avocado. I hated them as well. Almost two years keto and now I have them daily. Same goes for dark chocolate 90%
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Dang it! This thread reminded me that I forgot to log the avocado on my turkey burger Saturday night...