Where is a good place to buy a nice plus size dress for a wedding?

Options
I'm putting this question in motivation and support because I've only ever worn a dress once in my adult life, and I felt really self conscious in it the whole time. I want to go to this wedding with confidence (it's a fall evening wedding) but I have no concept of where to shop and what type of dress to get. I'm over 300 lbs and round... Self conscious about my arms and torso (quite a bit of "muffin top" combined with loose skin), but I think I have good legs so there's that. Please help?

Replies

• health4me84
    health4me84 Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It perhaps depends on where you live and what is available to you? I am a somewhat tall apple shape and I find that I like dresses that accent the boobs and cinch in at the waist and skim the rest. I am from Canada, and there area lot of great options at Torrid, Cleo's or Rickis, Additionelle, Peningtons, Laura Plus etc. Alot of their dresses can be dressed up for evenings! Just pop on some classy jewelery, cute pumps and good to go! I recently bought a "rouched" jersey black dress from Old Navy Plus. Now i know its evening and wedding. But this dress felt like I was wearing pajamas, easy to dress up and the rouching hid the belly. I would also recommend some comfortable high underwear to keep it all in and that makes you feel more comfortable too! Excuse the face, as I had some drinks lol. It was Christmas! And you can never go wrong with a little black dress! 7ra117rqazh2.jpg
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    lane bryant, torrid, Jcpenney. I like jcpenney since they always have clearence
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    David’s bridal has some nice occasion dresses that come in plus size. I was surprised at their selection of items outside of wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses. They are also reasonably priced if you find a sale or coupon.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant is good, but a bit pricey. JCPenney has a good selection of dresses, usually. Dress Barn has cute stuff.
  • thelegendofzz
    thelegendofzz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Torrid has cute stuff but can be pricey!
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Dress barn? I know the barn part sounds horrid, but they do have some good stuff from time to time. Zulily has plus sized categories all the time... just have to wait a while sometimes.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Off the top of my head ... Torrid, Layne Bryant, Eloquii, Venus. Choosing shapewear that fits you perfectly tames the muffin top (remember it's not designed to remove it, merely spread it around for improved aesthetics). I would select a dress which draws attention away from the belly, likely more emphasis on the bust area (no details like flowers, rather a slight cleavage). Mid knee dress with sans hosiery. A dress with a higher waist further accentuates the illusion.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I live in NZ so I’m no help in terms of places to shop. But I had to buy a dress for a winter wedding a couple of weeks ago.
    The dress I got had some overlayers that started at the waist, and hid the muffin quite nicely. The “suck it all in” underwear I wore underneath helped me to feel more confident in it.
    The dress also had no sleeves, and since I can’t deal with my bare arms, I wore a mesh-type cardi thing over it. Worked well, and helped keep me a bit warmer!

Good luck!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Agree with ALL of the above posters, only in support of your efforts to find your perfect dress, I have the additional 2 recommendations for you to consider.

• WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Goodwill is my favorite spot to shop.

Torrid I am told has great dresses. Same goes for ModCloth.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Check out city chic online online. I have quite a few dresses from them and I love them. Everything else from there has been a disappointment, but the dresses are great.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Anything by Hearts and roses
  • LaurMcKilch
    LaurMcKilch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant, Dress Barn, City Chic...all great! Quality is so important for us plus size women, so if you're going to pay plus size prices I'd definitely recommend one of those three so you don't compromise on quality.
  • hopiemama33
    hopiemama33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have found nice things at Cato, and they usually have clearance in the store and online as well. I found my Mother of the Bride dress at Macy's and my daughter approved. and she is picky. q3wq8w880i46.jpg
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Eloquii has beautiful dresses but they are pricy.