Cravings after 6pm

Options
Need some help. I do well following my caloric intake in the day. BUT, once 6pm hits I go hog wild. Does this happen to anyone else? If yes, how can I fix this? Thank much :)

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for something to eat at 6pm? Have your evening meal later? Increase your protein? Drink a glass of water?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What IS your calorie target, and what's your height and weight? How active are you (not counting exercise; if you ecercise, do you log and eat back those calories)?
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you are starving from 6pm what time do you have your evening meal? I'm starving at 6pm too, but that's when I'm getting home from work and cooking dinner.
    Space out your meals more and have healthy snacks in between. I usually have a banana mid afternoon. I don't normally eat lunch until at least 1pm as I find it easier to be hungry in the mornings when I'm too busy to eat.
    If you add a healthy snack to your diary, and plan that as a late night treat, then you can plan your other meals round it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    As you can see, you could get better responses with more info.

My solution was twofold. First, my plan was to eat as much as I could and still get fairly steady losses. My final goal was to lose the last 40lbs. It took about 7 months.

Second, I always allocated calories for evening snacks. Ive been maintaining for years, still do it. Also my snacks are on a schedule. So the issue becomes delay, which I can manage, as opposed to “just say no” that I find stressful and difficult. I even save a few calories for just before bed. Don’t always eat them but I like to know something is available if I want it.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ppencle wrote: »
    Need some help. I do well following my caloric intake in the day. BUT, once 6pm hits I go hog wild. Does this happen to anyone else? If yes, how can I fix this? Thank much :)

So I’m the same as you! I’ll be so good throughout the day, as soon as I get home I want to eat lots of bad things! So what I do is chew some gum .. have dinner at my usual time and then instantly brush my teeth afterwards! I am working on my willpower because mine sucks!
  • Shepherdchris
    Shepherdchris Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough through the day.. And also make sure you a lot of low cal foods ready!!! Remember that failure to plan is planning for failure!! :-)
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I found that it was more habit(mindless eating while watching TV) rather than hunger when I ate after 7pm. I've gotten in the habit of saying aloud "I've had more than enough today" when I find myself heading to the fridge and then get something to drink (tea or water) instead. If I do need a snack I stay away from anything sweet since that is trigger to overeat, I will typically get a handful of nuts or something fiber rich or high in protein. Keep it to 1 serving or less.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I quit eating breakfast when I get up. I'm up at 3:45, at the gym by 4:30. At work and having black coffee at 7:00. Breakfast around 9:00. Lunch at 1:00, snack at 3:00, dinner around 7:00 and dessert around 8:00.

That works best for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner...
  • kg000
    kg000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found these mint chip ice cream bars by Chilly Cow that are only 100 cals and have protein and low sugar/low carbs and the mint just takes away any craving I could possibly have. Plus its a little treat, having ice cream at night...