Dark chocolates for fat loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I had to cut down on dark chocolate because I was consuming it in larger amounts than what I'm willing to spend on it calorie-wise. Dark chocolate doesn't induce weight loss. The only way it would help that I can think of is if consuming a small amount of dark chocolate satisfies cravings for a higher calorie snack.

It's definitely no good if it's eaten in large amounts. I find because it's bitter, I eat less than if it were milk chocolate, so it's been a handy food for me. It's really nice to grate up one square into cereal.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Mmm I love dark chocolate. No it doesn’t do anything for weight loss lol
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love dark chocolate. If I ate as much of it as I wish I could, then I would not be in a deficit, so it would not be good for my weight loss. Dark chocolate is good for enjoyment. For weight loss you need a calorie deficit, with or without the chocolate.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I’m incorporating dark chocolates to suppress my cravings in the afternoon coz Im on caloric deficit. I avoid milk chocolates. Lost 5kg in 2.5 mos!

5oyl870jaarc.jpeg

In that case, I could see what you mean by it helping. The good thing is, it’s hard to eat too much dark chocolate, as it’s so rich.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I lost weight and then maintained weight and plenty of dark chocolate (and light chocolate and white chocolate) featured along the way.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Nice work OP, I certainly find it easier to portion control with Dark Choc compared to milk choc. Also I find there is a much more interesting selection of flavours in darker chocolate IMO.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat dark chocolate it just makes me wish I had eaten milk chocolate, so when I crave chocolate, milk chocolate what I eat. Chocolate of any kind doesn’t help or hinder weight loss. Just eat what you prefer and keep your calories in check.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I love to bake with it.. and make chocolate covered strawberries with it.. otherwise.. it's not for me. Too sour.

I've found that quality and age of the bar have a lot to do with flavor.

It should be bitter, but not sour.

Although, If you don't like it plain I understand the disincentive to buy high quality chocolates.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I love to bake with it.. and make chocolate covered strawberries with it.. otherwise.. it's not for me. Too sour.

I've found that quality and age of the bar have a lot to do with flavor.

It should be bitter, but not sour.

Although, If you don't like it plain I understand the disincentive to buy high quality chocolates.

I usually have Lindt and I've tried other brands too. I love bitter and the taste of cocoa itself doesn't bother me. But I find the chocolate bars sour like mouth puckering lemons, not for me.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I incorporate weekly fast food into my diet to lose weight.... Just so long as I remain in a calorie deficit.

Note: there are no magic foods that makes the human body lose fat. (So fast food doesn't make me lose fat - my calorie deficit does that).
  • zefranbarola
    zefranbarola Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This brand is what I’m currently eating. According to my research, I should look for dark chocolates that have at least 70% cacao. I’m eating daily by portion. Like in this package, there are 12 blocks which I would consume for 12 days. Helps me with cravings. I drink water along with it.
    v5zyi2bycz8d.jpeg
  • zefranbarola
    zefranbarola Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Have you tried a caloric deficit for fat loss?

Yes I have. I only eat dark chocolates to manage cravings. :)

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    bunnyluv19 wrote: »
    I eat milk chocolate :smile: kit kat is my favourite-I’ve lost 14 lbs in the last 6 months.

Congrats!

but... ya know, had you substituted dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, you might have lost 14.1 pounds in that same amount of time.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I use milk chocolate for weight loss. Admittedly I can't have as much as I would like so most of the time I'll have Halo Top instead.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Directly, dark chocolate does not induce weight loss. That only comes from a calorie deficit. However, switching from having a bag of Hershey Kisses around all the time to a bag of Ghirardelli 72% squares has left me more satisfied with a serving and I’m not finishing it off in 2-3 days like the Kisses. So indirectly, it helps me out by helping control my calorie intake.

Ditto! I also eat the Ghirardelli 72% dark chocolate squares. I have one in the evening if I have enough calorie allowance left (I usually do) and a bag lasts for a couple weeks (especially when my kids won't eat plain dark chocolate and steal them).
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate because I love chocolate. I make room for it. CICO all the way.
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate every day. Has no effect on weight loss, other than including it in my daily calories.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I satisfy my chocolate cravings with Cocoa Puffs. Lower in calories than most "healthy" cereals and I get chocolate milk after eating the cereal so it's a win-win for me.
  • vgentile990
    vgentile990 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Doing keto my tastes buds changed and now I really enjoy 90% dark chocolate ... but dark chocolate alone isn’t going to make you lose weight