51 lbs to goal weight

Options
Piqueaboo
Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
Hello folks,

As the title implies there are 51lbs until I reach my goal weight. I've been at it for a while, I started in November 2016, dropped 80lbs fairly quicky, took a really long pause during which I gained back 10lbs give or take, and now I'm ready for the last 51 to melt off. Obviously a lot has changed since I first started out, I can now run 5k without taking breaks, I can get through 2 cycles of BBG (my chosen program) and I have a gym membership - but I'm a bit scared because I read on here so much that the last pounds are the hardest to tackle, they don't come off as fast as the previous ones, you need to eat more, etc etc etc...

I wanted to approach this in the mindset of "50+ lbs is a LOT and only the last 10-20 really are hard" but is this realistic? I want to go back to my first approach (which worked like a charm) of 1200 calories, 5x30 minute workouts per week of body strength exercised (BBG) and cardio (5K runs and swimming), has anyone here done this for the last 50lbs? Or am I being unrealistic?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 years to lose my weight. I lost 18 pounds before MFP then didn't diet for a couple years then I lost about 70 the first year on MFP. After that I lost 17 over the next eight months. I had hoped to lose another 15 but just couldn't seem to drop any more. The second year was definately slower but in the end it was worth it. I learned so much over that time frame. The fact that you managed to keep off most of what you lost the first time is a great sign that you can maintain. Everyone's experince is different but I've learned now how to eat for the rest of my life. If I'd lost it fast I probably would not have kept it off. On top of that if I try to eat huge quantities of food now I get nauseated which helps to keep me in check, lol. Just keep working on it. Remember with every pound you drop it takes less to maintain your weight. This is why your loss will slow down but with 50 to go it shouldn't get really slow for another 25 or 30 pounds. Enjoy the journey and good luck.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    Hello folks,

As the title implies there are 51lbs until I reach my goal weight. I've been at it for a while, I started in November 2016, dropped 80lbs fairly quicky, took a really long pause during which I gained back 10lbs give or take, and now I'm ready for the last 51 to melt off. Obviously a lot has changed since I first started out, I can now run 5k without taking breaks, I can get through 2 cycles of BBG (my chosen program) and I have a gym membership - but I'm a bit scared because I read on here so much that the last pounds are the hardest to tackle, they don't come off as fast as the previous ones, you need to eat more, etc etc etc...

I wanted to approach this in the mindset of "50+ lbs is a LOT and only the last 10-20 really are hard" but is this realistic? I want to go back to my first approach (which worked like a charm) of 1200 calories, 5x30 minute workouts per week of body strength exercised (BBG) and cardio (5K runs and swimming), has anyone here done this for the last 50lbs? Or am I being unrealistic?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Everyone is different. Everyone responds differently. It sounds like you have done an amazing job up to this point. I weighed 251lbs and in one year got down to 192lbs. Now, I am male and stand 6'0" so it is "easier" (ha! Come talk to me about 'easier'!) for men than for women. Not so sure that I buy into that.

I might suggest this to you....

Make your big goal (you have.....drop those 51lbs).
    Make several medium goals (that, step-by-step take you to the big goal)
    Within each medium goal, create several smaller goals (each of which takes you to the medium goal)

I can not tell you if these 51lbs will be really hard or if the last 15lbs will be really hard.

How about we give it a go and find out? How about take the approach, "I am going to do this, no matter how long it takes". The mind is very powerful. I am huge on mindset.

I can not speak to the 1,200 calories as we do not know stats. It seems like you are doing a lot of exercise (which is a really good thing) and you might need more fuel for your body to do all of that work! Maybe?
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Almost there. You got this.
  • iRyanS
    iRyanS Posts: 42 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Milestones are what make the ultimate goal reasonable and within reach.

In my case, my ultimate goal is to lose 200 pounds. My milestones, or smaller goals, were achieved at weight loss totals such as 20 or 40 pounds.

I feel this helped my mindset going forward. It also made me realize that the ultimate goal will ultimately be in reach once the milestones are crossed off the list.

Even with those stubborn pounds, make several milestones. Never be "scared" - weight loss and weight maintenance is a lifelong process and commitment.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your very valuable feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time to write me back. Your words certainly helped, I sat down and went through everything in my mind, made a couple of changes, and lo and behold, I've dropped 7lbs since my original post so it absolutely worked - with a bit of heart, calorie counting and discipline! I'm going to keep doing it one day at a time, and everything should fall into place (literally)

- thank you !
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    Thank you guys for your very valuable feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time to write me back. Your words certainly helped, I sat down and went through everything in my mind, made a couple of changes, and lo and behold, I've dropped 7lbs since my original post so it absolutely worked - with a bit of heart, calorie counting and discipline! I'm going to keep doing it one day at a time, and everything should fall into place (literally)

- thank you !

Awesome.....I believe that you said it correctly....went through everything in your mind. Mindset is everything. For me, anyway! Enjoy all of those successes along the way!