Why would people say "Stay away from dairy"?

Options
ENough said :)

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    People afraid of Hormones, don't like the taste, and some say it's un-natural to drink it.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    many reasons,,,,,, nuff said?
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    many reasons,,,,,, nuff said?

LIke what reasons??
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Because I eat dairy all the time, low fat cheese, cottage cheese, ff organic milk, ff yogurt, etc
  • victoriashea
    Options
    Well, if you're not a vegan and struggling with moral qualms... Just make sure it's low-fat or fat free and you're golden. Plain yogurt is a fan-freaking-tastic weight loss tool. In fact it was a staple food of mine, pre-veganism. Very filling. And hey, it limits the odds of osteoporosis. WINNING!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Milk has sugar in it..., unless you are drinking it straight from the cow. Just say'n.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Why unless you're drinking it straight from the cow?
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lots of fat?

The time of my life that I was most fit, I was eating almost no dairy. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. But I was living in southeast Asia, and it wasn't really available. I lost about 75 pounds and kept it off until I came home.

I'd love to hear the science behind it, but my experience is just that cheese tastes good, is high in calories, and I eat too much of it.
  • LaurenJn83
    Options
    That has been the most difficult category of food to cut back on. It has a lot of carbs and calories. But, I've recently discovered almond milk (40 cal for unsweetened vs. 150 cal for whole milk). That has helped. I love blue diamond almond milk!

I still have ice cream though. It does make people who lack lactase sick though. I love it! I can't stay away!! :).
  • emily_ylime597
    Options
    As said above, some people are not big into the idea of the hormones that many cows, for example, are made to take in order to amp up their milk's nutritional value, etc. Also, there is evidence to indicate that while some dairy is good for us (the calcium), because we are evolutionarily not made to eat/drink it in large quantities after we grow out of childhood (and thus no longer need to drink our mother's milk) the enzyme we require to digest lactose actually decreases and thus we can have increased digestive issues -- for some, even lactose intolerance -- when we eat a lot of dairy. However, that being said, if you enjoy eating a healthy amount of dairy and have no health issues when doing so, then you should not worry too much about it. Everything in moderation! :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Milk has sugar in it..., unless you are drinking it straight from the cow. Just say'n.

Still has sugar... it's called lactose. Every animal milk has lactose, the natural milk sugar, and it's created in the lactation process. But it's not like you're drinking a sugary beverage. 8 oz of skim milk has 12 g carbohydrate, pretty much all lactose. Apple juice has about 26, all from natural fruit sugar (fructose). 8 oz of regular coke has 30 g, primarily from high fructose corn syrup.

Even diabetics can include milk as a regular part of their diet. So I seriously doubt it's sugar impact is that big.
  • adventuring
    Options
    1) It's high in calories and fat.
    2) A good number of people, myself included, are lactose intolerant. Dairy makes me feel sick.
    3) Various animal rights reasons. I read cows don't actually produce milk unless they're being milked, either by their young or by humans, so some protest the idea of keeping them that way constantly. Plus sores, etc.
    4) I'm not vouching for the logic of this, but I read this line of thought in a book once: Dairy milk is to baby cows what human milk is to baby humans, meaning it's a big part of their early growth and helps them balloon in size very quickly. Since cows need to be even bigger than humans, our over-consumption of it will contribute to our ballooning even further.
    5) Apparently it's not as good for you calcium-wise as they'd like you to believe.

Ultimately, you don't have to believe any of those things, but it's not polite to mock other people for doing so. There are a lot of legitimate reasons to avoid dairy.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Everything has a good and bad point, so no one in my opinion can be 100% correct.

Raw dairy has more benefits and less processing but it's illegal in most states, hard to find, and expensive. I drank raw milk or cream for a year and I was very fit then. (Now I can't find it.)

Non-dairy- do it if you want but just remember to read labels. All these non-dairy people run around saying dairy is fattening, feeling like they are so knowledgeable meanwhile they drink MORE fattening Hemp milk, Almond or rice milks with more sugar and carbs and "rice syrup" and all sorts of bull**** in it . . .. you have to still read the label. I do sometimes drink coconut milk but there are 2 broands of unsweetened I have to seek out because tons of brands (even some of the "unsweetened" ones) have a lot more carbs and sugars than dairy, and you also have to consider how much more of that stuff are you going to use in your coffee than if you just put a drop of Half-and-Half in it.

All things to consider.

And by the way, the vegan who said to drink skim and non-fat, products, that **** is being disproved every day. Fat isn't the culprit of people being fat, studies are showing. It's processed foods and especially processed starches, carbs, and sugars. Not fat.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A professional trainer friend of mine told me when I decided to get some extra weight off, to almost cut out completely dairy....I cut it out like he said and also white sugar and white breads/pasta/rice...for 7 months...but ate yogurt and cottage cheese once a day, everyday....and lost about 30lbs...so, the combination, I believe helped....
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I am a celiac. I can give up wheat, barley and rye without an issue. But life without cheese is just not worth it for me. Everything in moderation of course but I have to have cheese.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are afraid of the fat, and from the posts it also looks like the sugar, in milk. But really it's not that much if you go with skim (80 calories, 12 g sugar balanced out by protein).

My MIL is totally anti-dairy, because "it causes mucous production" (which may or may not be true).

But there are also studies which have shown that women who drink 2 cups of skim milk a day loss weight more, and maintain healthier weight better, than those who don't -even those who drink 0-cal beverages. And milk is an amazing source of not only calcium, but vitamin D (which is required for our bodies to absorb/bones to utilize calcium).

There is such thing as too much. I have issues with even kids running around all day with a 2-cup sippy full of milk that is constantly refilled. Milk can fill kids (or anybody) up or give extra calories, not leaving room for other nutritious foods, but 2-4 servings a day is fine.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you find you are having a hard time losing weight, and feel like you are eating within your calories, exercising, etc and not seeing results, it might be worth cutting back on the dairy just to see if anything changes. Most FF dairy products (such as yogurt) are loaded with sugar, particularly high fructose corn syrup. Sugar, I find, makes me hungrier quicker within an hour or two of eating it, as our bodies burn up sugar quickly and are left wanting more.
    Everyone's different...I think it can be interesting and useful to cut back on food groups and see what the effect is...I've found I'm MUCH better off when I cut out the bread...I feel better, I'm less hungry, etc. Same with dairy, although I love me some cheese...I try to stick to having it just as an occasional treat and in small portions. I also sometimes will have some greek yogurt with no sugar added...some of these yogurts have as much sugar as a candy bar!
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    I'm doing lower carb, so I watch my dairy. But I love it and won't cut it our completely (nor do I see a reason to.) Low fat/FF cottage cheese is a decent goto for breakfast for the protein (wish the salt wasnt so high), but I haven't drank milk as a beverage in years, unless it's in a latte or cap.

I really like the unsweetened coconut 'beverage' from trader joes right now. It makes a very nice cappuchino and decent milk for plain ol' coffee. Good mouth feel (must have a thickening agent in it) and aroma. 60 cal I think and like 1 carb for an entire cup.

And there's some decent reduced fat cheeses out there. I like finlandia, celtic cheddar, baby bel light.

Making my own yogurt right now, which is proving to be interesting. It's awesome when you strain it overnight... almost like yogurt ricotta. Kitchen fun with bacteria. ;)

Anyway, pick your battles on your dairy. It's all about moderation.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I met with a whole-health nutritionist. She preached a gluten-free and dairy-free diet. Chemicals was her main issue but she insisted that you would lose weight by cutting out all dairy. I couldnt do it so I have no idea if it worked or not.

I'm not a milk drinker but I do like cheese as well as cream in my coffee. She recommended coconut creamer but it didnt taste great to me.

Very interesting info here though!