gained 4 pounds in 1 day...

Options
PaulaDDN
PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
is this possible? Because my scale says that i did it yesterday. Of course i overate, i went to wholefoods and they were giving all this little yummi samples of everything and i gave in, i tried every single of them, then when i went out of the store i felt like i already messed up my day so i kept pigging out.. :(

Lately is hard to find any motivation with my diet, help!

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate as much as five or six pounds from one day to the next. Water retention, un-elimiated waste, hormones for women ... it all affects your weight through the day and the week. That's why it's recommended that you only weigh yourself once a week. You'll get a more accurate impression of your efforts that way.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Water weight? I'm guessing either sodium or TOM or both...

I know it's normal for me to put on up to 8 pounds just because it's that TOM. I hate it. It comes back off quickly though.
  • Dramatic456
    Dramatic456 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT weight yourself every day!!!! It will drive you insane. Weigh yourself once a week, on the same morning-- before you eat. Otherwise your weight will fluxuate based on water retention (for example I retain a ton of water from diet soda, so I don't drink any the day before I weigh-in) and whether you've pooped since your last big meal (gross, but true story!!!) Trust me-- I know its addictive to weigh yourself-- but its not accurate to weight yourself every day!!!
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The only way you could have possibly gained four true pounds of fat is if you ate 14,000 calories OVER what you need daily... I highly doubt that you did that!!

What you ate was probably high in sodium and other things your body isn't used to and you are now retaining tons of water. Get back on your plan and drink lots of water and the scale will go back down...

Good luck to you!!
  • r60775m
    r60775m Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can't gain 4 pounds of fat in one day. It's water weight, I promise! Reduce your intake of carbs and that WILL go away.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    off the record, my record is 5 lol.

on the record, this is why i only weigh myself ("officially")once a week. same day, same time. though i am tempted through the week. very tempted.
  • PaulaDDN
    Options
    Water weight? I'm guessing either sodium or TOM or both...

I know it's normal for me to put on up to 8 pounds just because it's that TOM. I hate it. It comes back off quickly though.

i forgot about TOM, will be here soon
  • PaulaDDN
    Options
    You can't gain 4 pounds of fat in one day. It's water weight, I promise! Reduce your intake of carbs and that WILL go away.

I'll do it starting tomorrow, thank you!!
  • PaulaDDN
    Options
    DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT weight yourself every day!!!! It will drive you insane. Weigh yourself once a week, on the same morning-- before you eat. Otherwise your weight will fluxuate based on water retention (for example I retain a ton of water from diet soda, so I don't drink any the day before I weigh-in) and whether you've pooped since your last big meal (gross, but true story!!!) Trust me-- I know its addictive to weigh yourself-- but its not accurate to weight yourself every day!!!

I totally agree with you, is addictive!! I've already weighted my self 3 times today :S ... i need to stop, its just that i keep thinking of those 4 pounds, they are driving me crazy, ill stop and i wont weight my self till next Friday, i promise!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    To truly gain 4 lbs. of fat you would have to have eaten 14000 calories above what you burned that day. As the other posters said--weight fluctuates from a number of factors. I know a lot of people advise to only weigh in once a week and that works for some. For me, I weigh in every time I go to the gym -usually every other day--but I only check-in on MFP if I have a loss from my previous lowest weight. This way, I see the normal ups and downs and they have really become no big deal to me. I tried the once a week thing, but if that happened to be a day that I fluctuated up on the scale, I was so disappointed, so I switched to my current method and I'm much happier.
  • autumn_h1986
    Options
    I will have to agree. Do not weigh yourself everyday. For one, you wont see a big difference which will make you crazy, plus your weight does fluctuate greatly everyday. When i first lost all my baby weight, it took a few weeks before i realized that only once a week weigh in was required. You feel much more accomplished at th end of the week :)
  • LoriIAM
    LoriIAM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. It's rewarding. I think it helps me stay on track. If I overeat, I expect a gain. If not, I expect to not gain. Regardless of my expectations, sometimes my weight fluctuates. No biggie...one way or the other. God is faithful, even if I'm not. His grace is sufficient for me.
  • azpebblesrn
    Options
    Trust me it is all water weight.. the question I would ask you is how much carbs did you eat? Last weekend I had a planned splurge.. 3 days of anything I wanted and saved for. I have been doing this for the past several months and this last time will probably be the last because I definitely overate.. to the point I was uncomfortable!. I gained 12 pounds in 3 days! I am one of those people who have to weigh herself every day.. it is for self preservation.. and it has worked for me. I have lost 75 pounds over the past 2 years (most of it before I joined this site). I have hit my stretch target and am now learning how much I can actually eat every day as a balance. I knew most of the weight I gained over those three days was water... because I could feel it. I lost all 12 pounds in 5 days... without doing anything different than I have been for the past 12 months..
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    To truly gain 4 lbs. of fat you would have to have eaten 14000 calories above what you burned that day. As the other posters said--weight fluctuates from a number of factors. I know a lot of people advise to only weigh in once a week and that works for some. For me, I weigh in every time I go to the gym -usually every other day--but I only check-in on MFP if I have a loss from my previous lowest weight. This way, I see the normal ups and downs and they have really become no big deal to me. I tried the once a week thing, but if that happened to be a day that I fluctuated up on the scale, I was so disappointed, so I switched to my current method and I'm much happier.

i shall try this :)
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Everyone else already pretty much answered what you needed to hear...so I am gonna add a better idea than the scale. Keep these private somewhere they are for your own use..and when or if you decide to show them so be it, but take before pictures and progress pictures and eventually an after picture. I take a picture a week of me without a shirt on. That way any small difference you can see. I have only lost 15 pounds in 7 months...but 12% body fat. The scale is evil and will drive you completely bat **** crazy!! So stay away! Measure and pictures. Thats it!
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem 2 weeks ago. It ended up being hormonal as my cycle came early. In speaking with my doctor, weight loss has re-triggered my system and made me normal again. So, what I thought was me being an oinker again was really water retention.

I second the weighing in once a week, but I'm OCD like that and I can't. I do weigh more than once a week to keep me on track because i have seen My weight fluctuate depending on the time of day. I weigh less mid morning vs. right after i wake up. I'm also documenting this attempt via pictures and it helps out tremendously!!!!!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    fluctuation
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    fluctuation

and if you had lots of sodium from that 'binge' that would definetly contribute, but its not actual fat or weight, although if you keep eating like that obviously it will turn into that
  • delilahskinny
    delilahskinny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Paula! I feel your pain, girlie! Everytime I embark on a weight loss program, I frequently run into those days where I can't believe what's on the scale. I learned quickly that these were the moments that would discourage me and lead me right to the fridge. A few of my friends also asked me the same thing so I felt compelled to do some research to find out what factors contribute to weight gain that we may not be thinking of. As part of a recent blog, I added two posts that may be of help to you. Check them out: http://getskinnywithit.com/delilah/2011/06/30/is-my-scale-broken-part-1/ and http://getskinnywithit.com/delilah/2011/07/04/is-my-scale-broken-part-2/. I'm working on additional posts that cover other factors so you may want to check them out...let me know if you have any questions! In the meantime, don't get discouraged...remember, it's not about the set back, it's about the bounce back!!!
  • misselly
    misselly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and like a previous poster I only record a further loss on MFP. Usually about every 3 days I record a loss.