2 MEAL PER DAY?

Options
:) I have no healthy problem , just want to lose 10 pounds.
I saw a video in which a dr. explained how helpful in losing weight would be eating just 2 meals per day with all the calories and fat you need. It helps you losing weight because it does not allow the insulin to work more and if the insuline work the fat will be no ready to be digested. I feel that ihave not understood it completely. whats your opinion???????

Replies

• BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then go for it!

I do a fairly chill form of IF these days- with a 9 or sometimes 10 hour window of eating in the day. It works for me cause I feel better if I eat a couple big meals and maybe a snack, than eating small things throughout the day. That's what leaves me feeling satisfied on a smaller amount of calories. That, and there's less meal prep time when I just eat a couple big meals!

Other people will say the opposite and prefer to have a whole bunch of smaller meals. When I did that? I was hungry all day long and felt like I spent half my life prepping meals/snacks and washing up.

It's all about figuring out what you can tolerate the best. Even 10 pounds is a couple months of calorie restriction if you're losing at a pound a week. So.. see what fits in with your lifestyle and what your body tolerates well and go with that.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Changing to 2 meals per day has helped me stay in calorie goal without feeling hungry and I don't binge anymore due to feeling satiated with larger meals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting (which is what you are desribing) is a great tool to help keep your calories in check by eating in a smaller window. There are additional HEALTH benefits to IF, especially if you are already insulin resistant or have other blood sugar disorders, but it has minimal other impact on weight loss other than calorie restrictions.

I agree. It is a good tool to reduce calories - instead of reducing calories in every meal, just skipping a meal is a simple solution. And it has been shown to reduce IR. if it suits you, it could be helpful.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think I would ever be capable of such a thing. But I am curious what time do you eat these meals for people who use this?
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My entire life, I've only ever really eaten two meals. Since I was a kid, I never did breakfast. And later in my life, eating too early made me sick so I never did it. /shrug It's just something I grew up doing.

When I needed to lose weight, I counted the calories in my two meals and made sure I was under my goal. I usually eat anywhere between 12-1pm for lunch and somewhere in the vicinity of 5-9pm, depending on when we do dinner. (ie, if we start cooking late, then it's later). I don't snack as a general rule, but if I do, my snacks have always been timed around 5pm, even as a kid. Though, I don't snack unless I'm ravenous.

If I am up SUPER early (ie, long enough for eating to not be an issue too early -- like 3-4am) for a trip -- because that's generally the ONLY time my bum moves that early -- then I do actually have breakfast around 8-9 am. Then lunch, though I'm not as hungry so I naturally end up with a smaller meal without really having to stop myself.

On the weekends, I'm super lazy (unless it's warm enough to go swimming, then it's a different story!) but I'll sometimes eat only once, and that usually around 445 or so. I might have an evening snack (my husband is always like "I NEED THREE SQUARES A DAY" a holdover from the military) which is usually like a small fries.

Mmmmm, fries.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think I would ever be capable of such a thing. But I am curious what time do you eat these meals for people who use this?

I tend to eat between 12 and 3, and then around 6pm.

I'm not truly two meals a day though because I have coffee with cream in it throughout my morning.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    :) I have no healthy problem , just want to lose 10 pounds.
    I saw a video in which a dr. explained how helpful in losing weight would be eating just 2 meals per day with all the calories and fat you need. It helps you losing weight because it does not allow the insulin to work more and if the insuline work the fat will be no ready to be digested. I feel that ihave not understood it completely. whats your opinion???????

A lot of people recently have been opting for Intermittent Fasting [IF] which sounds like what you described - fasting for a large portion of the day and then consuming the majority of calories and macronutrients in a large meal, or two large meals. For some people, this is an excellent option. For other people, like myself, it would never work. I prefer to eat about 5-6 mini meals throughout the day (which I pre-log and weigh out to ensure I hit every macro and stay within my calories for the day) and time it around my work outs. When I have tried IF, I always end up eating the quickest possible thing which is not the most healthy option - or snacking as I'm cooking the meal that I had planned to eat post-fast. I do not handle my work outs well on an empty stomach (heavy lifting for 2 hours + 1 hour of cardio is really difficult to manage when your stomach is audibly growling and making you feel nauseous). When it comes down to it, there is no "best way" that is universal besides the calories in versus calories out statement. Find what works best for you to stay within your calorie goal while also hitting your macro nutrients for optimal fat loss and muscle gain.