Question about hitting my macros.

antsosbo
antsosbo Posts: 40 Member
So my goal is to lose weight. I'm keeping a calorie deficit on a daily basis. And I work out for 30 minutes a day. However, I am not meeting my macro goals. Every day I go over on fiber, I push fat to the limit and sometimes go over. I almost never hit protein, and I absolutely never hit carbs target.

If all I need is a calorie deficit, what are the macro targets doing for me?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2018
    Each macro has a "job" to do in the body. You want to get enough of each to allow them to do that job efficiently.

However, for weight loss, you only have to worry about calories.

You want to try to hit your minimums on fat and protein at least, and then fill in the rest of your calories with carbs. In order to hit my protein daily, I have to center each meal and snack around the protein or I'll never make it.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2018
    What are your current macro goals?

Caloric deficit for weight loss.
    Macros for overall health, body composition, optimal performance etc.

Protein minimum should be around .8g/lbs, but in a deficit you should aim for closer to 1g/lbs (muscle sparing)
    Fat minimum between .3-.45g/lbs
    Carbs fill in the rest.

Fiber isn't a macro...

ETA - Fiber isn't a macro, but aim for a minimum of 30g (you know, bowel movements....)
  • antsosbo
    antsosbo Posts: 40 Member
    Eh, I just mention fiber because its up there on the app whenever I look at nutrients with the actual macros and it always catches my eye because I'm always over it.

But mainly I'm just wandering if I need to push harder on protein on top of the calorie deficit.
  • KarySti
    KarySti Posts: 4 Member
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Protein minimum should be around .8g/lbs, but in a deficit you should aim for closer to 1g/lbs (muscle sparing)
    Carbs fill in the rest.

Fiber isn't a macro...

ETA - Fiber isn't a macro, but aim for a minimum of 30g (you know, bowel movements....)

Somedays I'm over my fiber is that good or bad?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    KarySti wrote: »
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Carbs fill in the rest.

Fiber isn't a macro...

Somedays I'm over my fiber is that good or bad?

no issue with going over, but if you get too high (I normally find in the 50-60g range) that i start getting gassy

my dietician recommends 14g fiber per 1000 cals consumed