I may have done this already

Well, my name is Karen. I have gastric bypass about 2 1/2 years ago. I was doing really well until my sister in law committed suicide in mid October. My emotions got the best of me and I started eating my feelings. Easily gaining about 40 lbs. My dr has decided to do a revision of the bypass. The surgery is scheduled for Monday. My biggest worry is that I’m going to mess this one up too :( that I’m going to be this big forever. I haven’t been a size 14 since MIDDLE school. September was my closest, I was in a 16. Now I’m back up to and 18/20. Please friend me. Give me suggestions, or motivation. Either or both would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Slef motivation is beat buddy in this journey have learned.

Here to support ya.

Stay Strong.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Self motivation is the most important thing to learn. It's also very hard. As important as that, is loving yourself while you get to where you want to be. This too, is difficult. As they say, nothing worth having comes easy. Use this site often and come here for support, but be self motivated and be ready to start. Are you ready for another round of surgery? It's hard to tell from one paragraph, but it sounds like maybe you should talk to a therapist first and get your mind straight. I wish you a successful journey.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    You have had such a hard time. I can only imagine the pain of losing a loved one so horribly.
    You could try focusing on the bypass revision. Look at it as a clean slate, your new chance to prove that you can do it. After the op, really focus on how full you feel as you eat. Eat slowly and only prepare enough for your needs, not your wants. Buy sparingly so that the food is not there to binge on.
    There are so many things you can do to help yourself, but the only thing stopping you succeeding is not stopping eating.
    Do you have someone who can support you at home? Support here is good, but a physical hand stopping you reaching for the fridge is more practical. Good luck and please keep us up to date.🙂
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Also, I'm very sorry for your loss.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Gym, the gym can be life changing. Once you are cleared, get in there and do it.

I am not a professional but I committed to 30 days straight of pushing myself tired or not. I couldn’t wait until the end. By the time I got to about day 22 I didn’t want it to end. I counted food in terms of exercise and negotiated with myself. I ate within my calories and got sleep and plenty of water. Within a year I lost 154lbs without any low carb, surgery, anything. They are all options I respect but don’t discount exercise. It will help clear your mind and let you see you can accomplish anything you want. I went from the big girl to one of the stronger girls at my gyms.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. If I can help, message me.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Hi Karen, you can do this. It takes a huge amount of courage to do that surgery not only once but twice! When I considered it I was too scared to try but remember they say the surgery is just a tool. There is no magic. The good news is you've already proven you can do it. For me, to lose weight, the most important thing was learning what worked for me personally. I tried all the diets, the pills, the dr. programs and even a lapband which I had to have removed due to complications. In the end just eating less and moving more was the answer for me. Take it one step at a time. For exercise all I've ever done is walking. I started out slow and worked my way up. I've lost 104 pounds and am maintaining that loss. You can do it too.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Kitten motivation...... develope habits.....
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    I hope your surgery goes well tomorrow. It's the beginning of a new chapter. 😊