DXA scan for body fat %

Options
2»

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm getting one tomorrow! It'll be my first so not much to compare to but I'm very interested in the numbers.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Options
    I did two scans last year as part of a study (I wanted the free scans), then found a place last month near me where it's only $75. I was happy to see the recent 15ish pound gain I had (new job stress and love of ice cream) didn't lead to it being all fat mass. I've been working on weight training for a while and it's paying off. I do plan to recheck it this summer, I feel it's worth the money for me. I'm working on getting off the scale/number fixation and the amount of info on these scans and what is all means helps me with that. I've also done a couple of Bod Pods in the past and like those as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    So do you guys think these scans are worth it? (This place wants just under $300) I thought Dexa scans were reliable.
    Is it just the marketing that's questionable?

Dexa scan as a technology yes (you can look at universities/hospitals for alternate sites to get a scan done)...the marketing claims that this place is giving for losing weight/gaining muscle not so much

Thanks, I'll ask my doc at my next physical....

@annaskiski I'm near Boston too - please message me if you find someplace cheaper. My healthcare is with the VA and I haven't convinced my doctor to do this, so I'd be paying out of pocket.

Bonus points if you find us someplace south of Boston so I don't have to fight my way in and out of the city :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,833 Member
    Options
    I would look for something less expensive than $300.00. You might be paying for the consultation which you may or may not want in addition to the scan.

The machine measures fat mass, bone, and the rest of it.

You can obviously manipulate the "rest of it" to your heart's content!

Glycogen level (carb up the night before), extra water or coffee in your tummy, high sodium meal the day before, appropriate time of the month for females... I am sure we can think of a few more.

Your weight might go up, relatively speaking, but your fat % would go down.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm in the boston area as well, south of Boston, and would love to get one. If either of you finds a reasonably priced place please let me know too.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I used Bodyspec which might be just local but it was only $45.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I used Bodyspec which might be just local but it was only $45.

NorCal Locations, SoCal Locations, Seattle Locations :(
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I found a list of places that said were under $100 in the Boston area. I'm going to call some of them tomorrow.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I found a list of places that said were under $100 in the Boston area. I'm going to call some of them tomorrow.

Great, keep us posted!
  • sarahthecamper
    sarahthecamper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One of the Lifetime Fitness locations in the Mpls area offers them (St Louis Park). Right now with their 60 day challenge (so for this month) you get two scans AND two meetings with the nutritionist to go over the results for only $49. So if there's a Lifetime near you, see if they have an LT Clinic and offer DEXAs. I was told they'd likely offer the deal whenever they have the 60-day challenges (4x/year). It's a huge deal. It gives you a lot more info than an InBody scan, but as with everything else, it's what you do with the information that matters.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If I could get it done for $75 I absolutely would, last time I looked I could only find it for nearly $200 and it's not worth that to me.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Just FYI - my insurance paid for mine because I did mine in a Dr.'s office. Not sure if they billed it as a bone scan or what.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Just FYI - my insurance paid for mine because I did mine in a Dr.'s office. Not sure if they billed it as a bone scan or what.

I'm not sure about insurance, but the IRS considers body scans to be a qualified medical expense for those of us who have FSA (section 125) plans.

ETA: Insurance plans will differ, of course. I don't think mine covers Dexa normally. Maybe if it is ordered by a physician or is done at a healthcare facility, it might... I would have to check into that and then it wouldn't apply to anybody else here unless you have the same plan.