Warming up

Options
Alright people.. how do you guys warm up, feels like my body is never ready for the session, stiff alot of snapping and cracking tight areas...its not until like my final set I've loosened up... anything tips
will be great

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me, I do some glute activation (I use a big band and do glute bridge holds, pause squats, lateral walks etc), hip and arm rotation and mobility stuff, I also incorporate some yoga vinyasas sometimes, I do some lunge jumps.

Then unless I am doing 10+ reps I will do warm up sets for my main lifts. The less reps/higher weight, the more warm up sets.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm old and need a lot of warmup time. I start off with 5min rowing, then do DeFranco's Agile 8, followed by some yoga vinyasas. Then I'll do a few progressively heavier sets of whatever exercise I'm doing (squats, deadlift, etc).

Edit - I've tried cutting my warmups short and usually end up injuring myself.
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I walk on treadmill for 5-10 minutes...Then i do very light 2-3 high rep sets of what ever body part im training that day with stretching in between,
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    When I do squats, my warm up is squats; When I do deads, my warm up is deads; etc.

This. The best warm up for any lift you are doing is the lift itself with appropriate weight. The asterisk might be if you live in a cold climate and need to warm the body temperature. Bodies snap, crackle, and pop. In general there is nothing to be concerned about other than preparing your body to lift at the intensity prescribed by your coach or program.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Alright people.. how do you guys warm up, feels like my body is never ready for the session, stiff alot of snapping and cracking tight areas...its not until like my final set I've loosened up... anything tips
    will be great

I have a lot of rice krispy action going on myself. I generally do a quick and I mean quick 2 to 3 mins of jumping jacks, trunk twist, arm circles, run in place or maybe hip circle depends on what I'm doing. Thats just to limber up a bit. Not too much though. You don't want to stretch out and loosen up your joints. Many people will tell not to do any of that and they have a point. But I have a desk job. and I have to move around some before I hit it.

The best thing to do is the lift itself and ramp up to the working weight. So when you feel like you don't feel right until your last set. That means you started your working weight too soon. You should add another round of lifts that is pretty close to your working weight. Not a lot of reps. Just enough to get your body used to holding something really close to the working weight. If you're going to bench 200 lbs, a couple reps at 185 or even 190 will help you get ready.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    pretty much what @mutantspicy mentions in his second paragraph.

I used to just do a very light, maybe 30-50% 1RM set of 10 reps before I'd go at it... I've started to develop some joint issues and pain lately in my elbows and shoulders so I've started to warm up more gradually. 1 set of 10 reps with 30%, 1 set of 10 reps at 50%, 1 set of 8 reps at 60% and then 1 set of 5 reps at 75% and then I load my working weight. Not much rest between those sets so they go pretty quick and a 2 min rest before the working set. This is for bench which I always do first. I'll warm up the same way for weighted pull-ups (which I do second) using the lat machine and then 1 set of 5 reps bodyweight before I put on the belt and add weight. The rest of my exercises I'll just do 1 set of 10 at 50% before I start working. My joints have thanked me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When I do squats, my warm up is squats; When I do deads, my warm up is deads; etc.

This. Squats take the most amount of warm-up for me.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options

This. Squats take the most amount of warm-up for me.

I do more warm up for squats as well, but I do the most for OH press. I have wonky shoulders and I have to baby em a little bit.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For me, I do some glute activation (I use a big band and do glute bridge holds, pause squats, lateral walks etc), hip and arm rotation and mobility stuff, I also incorporate some yoga vinyasas sometimes, I do some lunge jumps.

Then unless I am doing 10+ reps I will do warm up sets for my main lifts. The less reps/higher weight, the more warm up sets.

^^ This, to a T.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys I throw your advice together.... I ve been looking bear walks aswell