Counting nutrition of home made beef jerkey

Options
Decided I need another source of protein and am giving home made beef jerky a shot. Used two pound of top round and a myriad of addons. (soy, honey, pepper flakes, worceshire, etc.) Cut it into strips with some slight fat trimming and let it marinate a day. After patting dry it's coming out to 25.75 ounces. For logging purposes I am leaning towards just logging it as the top round knowing it's slightly heavy with the marinade. (yes after cooking I'll weigh it again and do the math.) I'm not concerned with the sodium content as this point in my life I have no issues there. Thoughts?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Next time.

Weigh the beef
    Weigh the marinade ingredients.

Weigh after each processing step.

Although I'm not sure how you lost half a pound with "slight fat trimming" and marinating.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I would use the recipe builder with ALL of the ingredients and maybe determine the serving size once it's fully dehydrated, that way you can assign a weight to the final serving size.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Next time.

Weigh the beef
    Weigh the marinade ingredients.

Weigh after each processing step.

Although I'm not sure how you lost half a pound with "slight fat trimming" and marinating.

Yeah I was wondering the same things. I know how much beef was there when I made it. I know what it weighs now. Trimmed some fat and must have tossed some other parts. I weigh everything. But I didn't think of weighing the extra marinade left over, good idea! But using just the meat stats will get me close enough though a bit on the high side, if I have to error to the high side is the better way to go.
  • boomhower1820
    Options
    Went and confused myself. Post cook was at 12.25 oz. So made my serving size 1oz and multiplied it by 2.15 which is the difference of pre and post cook. That get me in the ballpark of correct nutrition? Really only concerned about calories, fat and protein content.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This is what I would do -- create the recipe using the pre-cook weight of the ingredients. Then when it's done, weigh it and edit the servings so each gram is 1 serving (so if there are 450 grams of jerky, you have 450 servings). When you eat it, weigh your jerky by the gram and log 1 serving for each gram.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Just weigh it and use a similar entry for dried beef jerky already in the MFP database. That's all I ever do. Close enough is good enough for me.
  • boomhower1820
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Just weigh it and use a similar entry for dried beef jerky already in the MFP database. That's all I ever do. Close enough is good enough for me.

Checked and I'm right in the ballpark. 80-100 seems average with 11-15 protein. I'm right in the ballpark.