Skin Removal Surgery

Options
I go next week for a panniculectomy.
I’m excited and scared. The whole “drains” thing is unnerving.

Anybody gone through this and have suggestions?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    moreclan9 wrote: »

I've not had that particular surgery but I've had procedures that required drainage tubes and such. I do know someone who did get a lot of excess skin removed and was happy with the end result. They did say it took quite a while for everything to stop swelling and for the scars/bruising to fade - months before they had a realistic idea of how it would finally look.

Oh, for the drainage - from my personal experiences... if the nurse or doc offers pain meds before removal of any devices and tubes. Take them. Ouch. ;)
  • jbknoll73
    jbknoll73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    moreclan9 wrote: »

I have not but will. I am only 3 weeks post op from a Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch. I wish the very best of luck!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Not yet. My abdominalplasty is scheduled for Aug. 2. I'm a bit scared (and excited) too.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Would love to see after pictures when you heal...
    How exciting! 10lbs of skin!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous! Good on you.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I just had a consultation with a surgeon yesterday. I have a couple more scheduled with other surgeons in July. I lost 130 pounds between December 2011 and December 2013 and have had a whole lot of lose skin around my abdomen and on my thighs... thighs are by far the worst. I'm leaning more and more toward going ahead with the surgery... probably just before Thanksgiving, but I'm really nervous about it. At the consultation yesterday the doctor said that I'd probably be about a size 10 after the surgery after the swelling was gone. I'm a size 14 now and I can't even IMAGINE me at a size 10!

Has anyone else been told that they would change that much in terms of clothing sizes? Is that typical?

Shannon
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I had a fleur de lis tummy tuck last year. Had one drain for A little over three weeks. While they are annoying, they're not a big deal. They don't hurt much to take out if they're taken out when they should be and not too early while it's still too swollen or sore. Having my thighs and bum done in 4.5 weeks and will have more drains.

Just realized that you already had it done. Thought it was two different people posting... lol 10.7 is a LOT of skin and tissue to remove. Wow. How do you feel?
  • moreclan9
    moreclan9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling physically sore (as expected) but emotionally I am THRILLED even with the results so far. Can't wait until the swelling goes down and I can see the actual results.
  • jocewar
    jocewar Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had a panniculectomy June 4 with flank lipo as well. I had 2 drains for almost 2 weeks and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. It was way better when they were removed. Very long recovery process and very emotional too. I had 2 belly button infections from it as well and that was hell. Now its cleared up and I feel good. If you need any help or support or anything let me know!