stupid binge urge

Options
CarvedTones
CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
edited June 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
So Monday I had an excuse to let myself have a big day; kids' (multiples) birthday and had cake. ice cream and other snacks. Kind of ridiculous amounts of some things, but I figured it's just one day and with some of my activity I can average it back out pretty quickly. I did walk 6 miles that night to help offset a little. Yesterday I was going to crack down but I let the sweet tooth and "bread tooth" get the better of me and I ended up several hundred over again. Today I was going to really tighten the screws, only it's someone's birthday at work and I had cheesecake and fruit with caramel sauce and I am pretty much at my maintenance level and it's only mid afternoon.

The good news is that my goal was 164 as my absolute maximum with a range of 155 - 160 as my maintenance range. Monday morning I was 157.6 after a few weigh ins all within a pound or so (and a couple were lower) over the previous week or so, so I am pretty sure that was about right. The overage from Monday and Tuesday is maybe enough for half a pound of true weight gain. I don't have actual overage yet today (I show overage because I had reduced my goal). This morning the scale said 160, but I know that isn't true gain yet. But it could be if I don't put a stop to this.

My actual maintenance with no exercise seems to be around 1700, my diary is wide open and I am recording my stupidity for posterity (I am not proud of how I am eating, but logging it accurately).

The other good news is that it's a SUP paddling afternoon. That's a serious calorie burning activity when done with intensity. I plan to get there about 90 minutes ahead of the group and paddle hard for over an hour before others show up. When others get there, we will paddle for a couple of hours but intensity can vary. Some nights I am paddling hard chasing people on longer boards all night and some nights there is slower paddling and some socializing. Last week we paddled hard a mile or so and then stopped and played water polo on SUPs. But there is almost always at least part of the group training that splits away and paddles hard the whole time. Anyway, if I concentrate on getting exercise, I can burn about 1000 calories tonight. And I am planning to paddle tomorrow night also.

The other bad news is we usually go out after paddling. That's not awful because i quit drinking a year ago and there is usually something that isn't a horrible choice to eat.

But I have to put the brakes on this. I really thought I had gotten past this, but when I went back for another half slice of cheesecake at lunch I realized it was a bad idea and did it anyway. This sucks; I hate feeling like I am not in total control of my own actions. At least I am pulling the alarm early; I can easily contain this without even going out of my range and stay well under my limit if I get my head straight.

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have been there and done that a few times. Sometimes I just get tired of eating junk and I stop. The dead stop for me is when my weight gets close to the high of my range of where I want to stay. I have also found that after a while all the good food is not so good if I am eating it all the time and too much of it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    So Monday I had an excuse to let myself have a big day; kids' (multiples) birthday and had cake. ice cream and other snacks. Kind of ridiculous amounts of some things, but I figured it's just one day and with some of my activity I can average it back out pretty quickly. I did walk 6 miles that night to help offset a little. Yesterday I was going to crack down but I let the sweet tooth and "bread tooth" get the better of me and I ended up several hundred over again. Today I was going to really tighten the screws, only it's someone's birthday at work and I had cheesecake and fruit with caramel sauce and I am pretty much at my maintenance level and it's only mid afternoon.

The good news is that my goal was 164 as my absolute maximum with a range of 155 - 160 as my maintenance range. Monday morning I was 157.6 after a few weigh ins all within a pound or so (and a couple were lower) over the previous week or so, so I am pretty sure that was about right. The overage from Monday and Tuesday is maybe enough for half a pound of true weight gain. I don't have actual overage yet today (I show overage because I had reduced my goal). This morning the scale said 160, but I know that isn't true gain yet. But it could be if I don't put a stop to this.

My actual maintenance with no exercise seems to be around 1700, my diary is wide open and I am recording my stupidity for posterity (I am not proud of how I am eating, but logging it accurately).

The other good news is that it's a SUP paddling afternoon. That's a serious calorie burning activity when done with intensity. I plan to get there about 90 minutes ahead of the group and paddle hard for over an hour before others show up. When others get there, we will paddle for a couple of hours but intensity can vary. Some nights I am paddling hard chasing people on longer boards all night and some nights there is slower paddling and some socializing. Last week we paddled hard a mile or so and then stopped and played water polo on SUPs. But there is almost always at least part of the group training that splits away and paddles hard the whole time. Anyway, if I concentrate on getting exercise, I can burn about 1000 calories tonight. And I am planning to paddle tomorrow night also.

The other bad news is we usually go out after paddling. That's not awful because i quit drinking a year ago and there is usually something that isn't a horrible choice to eat.

But I have to put the brakes on this. I really thought I had gotten past this, but when I went back for another half slice of cheesecake at lunch I realized it was a bad idea and did it anyway. This sucks; I hate feeling like I am not in total control of my own actions. At least I am pulling the alarm early; I can easily contain this without even going out of my range and stay well under my limit if I get my head straight.

I also feel the pull to the dark side. I ,so far ,have not gone on a binge. I work with mostly women. This is just a generalization, but they tend to have high calorie foods around constantly. I live in the south, so most of it is fried or made with copious amounts of fat or sugar. They show their affection to you by bringing it in. Staff meetings can be like an all you can eat buffet. It took almost a year for them to realise I was seriously not going to eat much of it. Hurt some feelings at first, now they leave me alone about it. It is nice not to hear, " your too thin, here have some pecan pie!" Lol
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It’s not uncommon for me to Binge once or twice a week, but then I make sure I keep a small deficit for the rest of my week and at the end it all levels, we just have to be responsible and not eat everything ALL the time...Live & learn ;)
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    I don't know if it is right to say I got back on track to day or not. I paddled my little inflatable SUP 8.6 miles over the course of 3+ hours. It's relevant that it is little and inflatable because it isn't fast and doesn't glide well; over 100 calories to the mile is realistic. Strava awarded me over 1200 calories for that but I edited it back to 900. I have today set as 150 calorie deficit and have a few calories left after the exercise adjustment. So unless I have a bad logging error (a possibility with lunch), I ended the day with a deficit. I plan to paddle tomorrow as well, but probably not as much distance. I might cut my calories back to 1500 and report the exercise very conservatively. I am hoping to shed some of the "not true weight gain" before Friday morning so it will come down a little from the top of my range. But I am more worried about the pattern and mindset than today's weight.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thread. I am glad I read it.

Last night after I closed my diary I ended up eating 3 pickled asparagus spears and a piece of chocolate. For the first time ever I ate it but did not log it. I felt a bit guilty not logging but not guilty enough to open up the diary.

Your post just got through to me about my accountability. I just logged those foods in yesterday's diary moments ago. Thanks!
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    binge is a lost battle. surrender is a lost war. carry on.

Love this!
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    More realistic weight this morning. Up about a half pound since Monday.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I also feel the pull to the dark side. I ,so far ,have not gone on a binge. I work with mostly women. This is just a generalization, but they tend to have high calorie foods around constantly. I live in the south, so most of it is fried or made with copious amounts of fat or sugar. They show their affection to you by bringing it in. Staff meetings can be like an all you can eat buffet. It took almost a year for them to realise I was seriously not going to eat much of it. Hurt some feelings at first, now they leave me alone about it. It is nice not to hear, " your too thin, here have some pecan pie!" Lol

I have to smile because I live in the south, and grew up here. We do show our love with cooking for family or friends. My aunt, rarely goes to a church activity without a dessert for everyone or if your family has someone who is really sick, she always brings chicken and pastry or something comforting. It is how we were brought up. Not to mention all the family reunions (family is important!) church dinners and when someone passes. It is hard not to eat all the incredibly great food. These ladies really can cook! I usually sigh and act sad but I do try to escape some events where I know I’ll be tempted like ordinary events.

• Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    1700 calories is quite low. Why is it so important to be in a weight range are you competing in a weight class?
    [
    quote="CarvedTones;d-10677640"]So Monday I had an excuse to let myself have a big day; kids' (multiples) birthday and had cake. ice cream and other snacks. Kind of ridiculous amounts of some things, but I figured it's just one day and with some of my activity I can average it back out pretty quickly. I did walk 6 miles that night to help offset a little. Yesterday I was going to crack down but I let the sweet tooth and "bread tooth" get the better of me and I ended up several hundred over again. Today I was going to really tighten the screws, only it's someone's birthday at work and I had cheesecake and fruit with caramel sauce and I am pretty much at my maintenance level and it's only mid afternoon.

But I have to put the brakes on this. I really thought I had gotten past this, but when I went back for another half slice of cheesecake at lunch I realized it was a bad idea and did it anyway. This sucks; I hate feeling like I am not in total control of my own actions. At least I am pulling the alarm early; I can easily contain this without even going out of my range and stay well under my limit if I get my head straight.[/quote]

• galaxypie210
    galaxypie210 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning my diet again, so I had a binge day midway through my 8 days where I have just marked it off as a loss. My binge issue is ice cream, always ice cream- it's been that way with all my diets. Well, I binged on ice cream that day. I ate nearly half a gallon. It was absurd and I hate myself for it. I know how it feels to want to justify binging on something you love and then being like 'what have I done, I'm disgusting, I don't deserve this human form'. But your stuck here until the mother ship comes back so you have to make due and diet.
    Cake and ice cream is the nectar of the gods, it's delicious. But my cal intake is 1200, so even a cup of ice cream or a little cake sets me off.
    Best not even pick up snacks. Pretend they are poison and scream when you are near them and maybe your coworkers or friends will stop buying them. That way you can be successful with your diet.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    Neiross1 wrote: »
    1700 calories is quite low. Why is it so important to be in a weight range are you competing in a weight class?

1700 seems to be accurate for me on days that I get no exercise. I only get ~1500 steps on those days.