Sugars in the red ?

Options
Hi

Nearly everyday i am in the red on my Sugar intake :-(

I dont eat sweets/cakes and i dont have sugar in my hot drinks .. i am finding that my natural fat free yoghurt and fresh fruit is putting me in the red ... Is this good or bad ? Should i cut down on my fresh fruit or not worry too much :-/

Any help/advice would be appreciated . thank you

Replies

• puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    BUMB :) I would like to know as well
  • brunettebetty
    Options
    bump :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Your sugars are natural sugars and not refined. These are good for you. So long as you are keeping everything in moderation, be happy. Simple natural sugars from raw source (non processed fruit) are good for the body.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    Many fat free foods will add carbs and sugar, so you have to read labels. Apples only have about 13 g of sugar. My doctor pushes eating two of them per day over other fruits. He also says to be careful with fruit because of the sugar. But, it all depends on the plan you are following.
  • azheelshock
    Options
    Hi

Nearly everyday i am in the red on my Sugar intake :-(

I dont eat sweets/cakes and i dont have sugar in my hot drinks .. i am finding that my natural fat free yoghurt and fresh fruit is putting me in the red ... Is this good or bad ? Should i cut down on my fresh fruit or not worry too much :-/

Any help/advice would be appreciated . thank you

I'm not a yogurt eater, but do you find the fat free variety adds more sugar to compensate for the removed fat?

I'm always in the red as well due to fruit, but I don't worry at all. As was discussed in another thread today, the fiber in fruit regulates the sugar absorption. Studies have shown there is no sugar crash related to eating fiber rich fruit. I'm not a doctor, though...just a web surfer :)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that this is different for diabetics, so If you are diabetic, please talk to your doctor.

But my philosophy is if it comes right out of the ground, it is natural and it is good. Fruit is not bad for you!!!! It may have carbs and sugar, but fruit is mostly water and very very nutritious. Do not stop eating fruit because it puts you in the red on your sugars!!

Fruit juice on the other hand is a different story. The reason why fruit is so healthy is because the complex sugars are paired with fiber. This makes your body take longer to digest it, so you use it as fuel instead of store it as fat (or something like that). So fruit juice is not great (better than soda, but not as good as the real fruit). On the other hand, smoothies, which do not remove any of the fiber, are very good for you, just as good as the whole fruit (as long as you don't put any added sugar in there).
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    it depends on your source of sugar. i would try to keep refined sugar to a minimum but if you find that most of your sugar is coming from dairy and fruit, i wouldn't worry about it. you need both in your diet.
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Apparently the 5+ a day that nutritionists are recommending is made up of only 2 fruit portions (medium not large serves) and then 3+ vegies. So I think thats telling us to fill up on vegies not fruit. It is a hard one I think, I've often thought sugar gms were set too low on this site. I eat a diet almost completely wholefood it's important to me that what I eat is not de-natured, and with almost no refined sugar (maybe once a week) My sugars tend to be between 20-50gms over the limit, and occasionally up to 80gms.

I think we need to just be sensible and watch our fruit and milk (large contributor of sugar) intake, and of course avoid table sugar, sodas, etc......

Hope that helps :)
  • lorriann72
    lorriann72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies so far , they are all very helpful :smile:

I only buy the fat free yogurts but am finding they vary from 7 - 9g of sugar per 100g ... I am not sure how this compares to full fat yogurt i will have to look and compare fat/sugar etc next time im shopping :smile:
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    So can anyone tell me for every 100 calories, how many should be grams of sugar?
  • azheelshock
    Options
    Thank you for the replies so far , they are all very helpful :smile:

I only buy the fat free yogurts but am finding they vary from 7 - 9g of sugar per 100g ... I am not sure how this compares to full fat yogurt i will have to look and compare fat/sugar etc next time im shopping :smile:

At the grocery store today I did some research at the yogurt cooler, a few times to the dismay of people I was blocking :[) I found that the fat free do INDEED add sugar...in the form of high fructose corn syrup. HFCS is one of my main enemies and I avoid it at all costs.

I see you are across the pond, so my particular grocery store brand won't help you, but perhaps you can find something similar. I found Kroger CARBMaster low fat yogurt. Check out these stats for the vanilla flavor: 6 oz, 60 cal, 1g sat fat, no HFCS and only 3g of sugar! Compared to the standard fat free or low fat, that's about 66% less sugar.

Plus it has the standard 20% of the daily calcium. I am consistently under on my calcium. I previously said I wasn't a yogurt eater, but I'm changing my mind. I believe the vanilla mixed with a chopped apple would make an excellent breakfast or snack. You feel like you're eating dessert, but it's actually good for you!