How do you keep yourself motivated?

Options
Hey! You can call me Jay, and I've been trying to lose weight for a few years now, which means that I've tried a lot of weight loss things, but could never stick with them in the long run.
This app has helped me lose a tad bit, but I always end up gaining it back. I know that I can't be the only one with this problem, and I just need some enlightenment on how you stay motivated to keep with the plans for nutrients, calories, and exercise. :-)

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I made changes into habits (exercise, logging, reading labels, etc.). Now it's part of my life, like brushing my teeth, and not something I feel I have to do. No more motivation needed.
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My coaches and fellow athletes at my CrossFit box. We always keep each other motivated towards better nutrition and achieving better athletic goals. We are constantly cheering each other on.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If we wait for the motivation fairy to sit on our shoulder, it will never get done. For me personally, it's very simple: I want to lose weight, very, very much. There's only one way to do that, and it's not by trying to feel motivated, it's by being disciplined. There are so many days where I don't feel like exercising because it's winter here and the thought of changing into my workout clothes makes me shiver. But, I don't stop to think about how I feel about that. I just DO it without giving myself time to talk myself out of it. Once I get going, I love what I'm doing again.

As for food: I try to make healthy choices, but if I'm craving something, I don't stop to think about how motivated I'm feeling. I just make a decision on whether or not I'll eat the food I'm craving, and if I eat it, I track it. I want this. Nothing is going to stop me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I figure out how things work - and weightloss, simple as it is, works when you eat less and move more, for real, consistently and for a long time. There is no trying in this. There are also no weight loss things. Only being in a calorie deficit, or not.

If I don't like the way I eat and exercise, I can just stop doing it. No matter if it's a perfect diet and exercise regimen, even if it makes me lose/maintain weight, and produces a great body, I'll regain if I stop following it. There's no way around this. So I rely on intrinsic motivation: Food I like for every meal, fun and necessary daily activity for exercise, a lifestyle that makes me feel good every day.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with others who find motivation too unreliable for something as long term as weight loss. I think mostly in terms of good habits and, when needed, determination.

Try this. Pick a time frame for an experiment. Log everything you consume that has calories during your experiment. Try to hit your calorie number. But if you go over, keep tracking. Even if you run off the rails, everything gets put in your diary. Don’t know the calories in that meal or dish? Make a good faith estimate and keep going.

A good test would be at least 1 month, 3 would be better.

You don’t need a big wave of motivation to wash over you to carry you along. Just try this one habit. It can be a pain in the neck, especially at first. But it gets easier.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    A picture of fat me on the fridge
    A cool phone screensaver of a bear weightlifting with the caption 'the bigger the mountain, the better the view'
    Finding excercise I enjoy
    Replacing ingredients (ie Almond flour instead of regular flour. Sweet potatoe instead of white..)
    Taking a selfie every day and seeing progress.
    More attention from the opposite sex.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Initially I set up an overall long term weight loss goal and constantly strive to meet that goal and then once I hit it I will re-evaluate my health (where I was and what I will be when I hit that goal) That is long term motivation, I see it and know its there. I know I will make mistakes along the way so I don't beat myself up over them I just stay on target.

Now that being said my short term motivation is just noticing the little things, sure I would like my gut to shrink faster but it has shrunk and I need to take notice of that, not what I think it will be after my long term goal. One of the first things I noticed when going on my weight loss journey was my collar bones becoming more visible, my face losing fat, and muscles replacing flab. Take the time to notice the physical changes and the mental changes as well. I am able to cope with stress better these days, I sleep better, I am definitely more creative and productive these days and my blood tests have been the best they have been since my early 20s. Take all of those little things and continue to improve them is what keeps me motivated short term. I don't focus on the scale as much these days since it can cause negative feedback loops in a sense and I know weight will fluctuate so there is no point in adding stress. I was able to finally fit back into an XL shirt with room to spare recently, heck that is motivation enough to keep me going through the rest of the summer.

Lastly make it all routine. I login to MFP through out the day, I track steps, I work out at regular times, I meditate daily, and work on something creative as well. I really try to keep to a regular sleep schedule as well. It's gotten to a point that when my routine is interrupted for some reason (travel, visitors, etc.) if feels really odd and not right. Also when I really don't feel like working out or meditating is when I really need to do so and those times are usually the most beneficial to my state of mind.
  • Themajez
    Themajez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a deadline. It's the date which my girlfriend and I shack up. I really don't want to be dieting when we live together.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get back to my highest weight (BMI 36-37)... also, got tired of always being tired because I was so out of shape... and I was only 18 when I got to my heaviest! I should have been in the best shape of my life, not tired after walking up some stairs or down the street
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    i don't - I am disciplined. motivation comes and goes...discipline is a constant.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I look at my fat belly in the mirror. That is enough to motivate me.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes and goes, I am just disciplined. No matter how much I don't "feel" like going for my morning run, I still go (except for exercise limiting illnesses - stomach flu + running = very bad idea!). No matter how much I would love to eat everything in sight, I don't. I know the consequences, and am not willing to ruin years of hard work simply because it's "easier" to not monitor and self-correct my behavior.