losing the mom bod

Coffee_addict22
Coffee_addict22 Posts: 86 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I've posted in here before about not being able to lose weight. I have tried to log in my calories and the longest streak that i have had is one week. I have a 10 month old and stay at home. I am a stress eater and eat relatively good. I have worked out at a gym for several months the beginning of this year and just gained muscle and didn't lose that much weight. I do not want to bulk just slim down.
I know that my weakness is food and I really don't know how to fix it. I can't seem to get a grip. I fall on it when I'm sad and I justify eating like crap when I have had a bad day. I need to lose at least 20-25lbs and no one is able to tell me how to accomplish that with a very busy schedule. I can't cook every single meal I eat and its almost impossible to log everything consistently. I either forget or can't log what I'm eating because i came up with the recipe myself.

any suggestions from fellow mothers that have succeeded?? I want so bad to be back to my old self and feel good in clothes.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If calorie counting isn't for you, that's fine, but you can't say it doesn't work after only a week.

Cut your portions or cut carbs or cut fat as a way to reduce cals.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I've posted in here before about not being able to lose weight. I have tried to log in my calories and the longest streak that i have had is one week. I have a 10 month old and stay at home. I am a stress eater and eat relatively good. I have worked out at a gym for several months the beginning of this year and just gained muscle and didn't lose that much weight. I do not want to bulk just slim down.
    I know that my weakness is food and I really don't know how to fix it. I can't seem to get a grip. I fall on it when I'm sad and I justify eating like crap when I have had a bad day. I need to lose at least 20-25lbs and no one is able to tell me how to accomplish that with a very busy schedule. I can't cook every single meal I eat and its almost impossible to log everything consistently. I either forget or can't log what I'm eating because i came up with the recipe myself.

any suggestions from fellow mothers that have succeeded?? I want so bad to be back to my old self and feel good in clothes.

I'm sorry you're struggling, but per the bold, there's nothing anyone else can tell you. Keep it simple. Keep eating the same things you are now but eat smaller portions. Consistently. If you do that eventually you'll lose weight.

If you know stress triggers eating when you're not hungry then make a list of things you can do that AREN'T food related. Do those first, again consistently, and you'll break your habit of turning to food.
  • Coffee_addict22
    Coffee_addict22 Posts: 86 Member
    If calorie counting isn't for you, that's fine, but you can't say it doesn't work after only a week.

Cut your portions or cut carbs or cut fat as a way to reduce cals.

I have tried it probably 4 weeks total just off and on. I'm cutting portion size but it doesn't seem to help. It's so hard knowing what to put on your plate. One person says this food is great for you and another says its horrible. I don't know what to eat is the problem and what foods to stay away from.

I know that technically you can eat whatever you want when you're calorie counting as long as its in the calorie limit but thats not helping me get healthier.

• Truns1990
    Truns1990 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm a single full time dad who works full time and I just started getting in shape. I lost 20 pounds from running after work for 30 min and eating better and I don't cook here is a normal day... I do change things up but this is so easy it's stupid

Breakfast- bananas or kind bar and coffee

Lunch- turkey cheese sandwich on Dave's killer bread or if I eat out 1 full California roll or a chicken bowl with brown rice

Dinner- eggs with spinach tortilla or sweet potatoes fries and chicken nuggets.

If you want to swap something do it just look for something healthy with high fiber to stay full while you ajust

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Just keep logging. On days you forget go back in and log everything you remember. The more you log the easier it is to form the habit. Even if you go over on calories just keep logging.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited June 2018
    Listen to what Spliner said. Plan, plan, plan. When the baby goes down for a nap, write out your meal plan for every day of the week. Include snacks. It's helpful if you eat the same things M-F, with the exception of dinners. If you are cooking from recipes for dinner, enter them into MFP. Pre-log your meals and snacks for the week to make sure it fits your calorie budget. Adjust where necessary. Now you have your grocery list. Saturday, do your grocery shopping for the week. Sunday meal prep everything that was on your list. Freeze stuff if you need to, but I've found I can get 5 days out of most things.

Voila! With a little planning you are completely free the rest of the week and you are guaranteed to lose as long as you stick to the plan. And you don't have to scramble for meals or make poor choices because that's the only thing that was handy.
  • FireORose
    FireORose Posts: 16 Member
    I really love working out at home with streaming workouts! I lost the last stubborn 25lbs of my 55lb weight gain from my now 9month old.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Consistency and patience is key. I'm a single mom to 3 young kids and work full-time out of the house. I don't cook every night - about 3 nights a week I will and I make enough to eat leftovers in between. Baked chicken with spices, roast in crockpot, chicken in crockpot to shred for tacos/salads/sandwiches/etc., brown hamburger for tacos/taco salads. If you truly want to lose weight, get a food scale and start weighing your food out and log it. Try and walk more and you can lose weight over time. Again, you need to be consistent with this and have patience.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    When you do log are you giving yourself enough calories? If you aim for too little (say 1200), sure yeah, it's hard to stick with. I'd start with setting your goal to a half pound a week.

You can add your own recipe's to the app.

If you find yourself wanting to stress eat, take some deep breaths, have a diet soda and some gum and see if you can ride out the desire.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited June 2018
    there is an app. CALORIES MAMA all you have to do is take a picture of your food/drink and it counts the cals and stores them for you. easy/peasy.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    If you find yourself wanting to stress eat, take some deep breaths, have a diet soda and some gum and see if you can ride out the desire.

I'm not a mom, but I can tell you my desk drawer both at home and at work are filled with different flavors of gum and the fridge is always stocked with diet soda lol. There's a lot of truth in what @BusyRaeNOTBusty suggests. Without gum some days I would munch all day on bad stuff just from stress alone.