treadmill running

Options
Trying to get back into running. Any tips for not bulking and slimming your thighs down? Ive heard that you shouldn't run on an incline if you want slim thighs.
any tips on not getting bored while running on the treadmill lol I was only able to run a mile and a half because I got so bored.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Run outside
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Run outside

^^^

This. Treadmills have their uses. Probably. But I’d rather be outside, in most weathers.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I third it.
  • Coffee_addict22
    Coffee_addict22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't have the option of running outside unfortunately. I have a baby. Just trying to exercise while he's sleeping.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    To address your other point, I run hills a lot, I don't have bulky legs
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I think everyone missed the question: Is running on an incline going to give you bulky thighs?

First: running on a treadmill is great exercise even for short periods, so it is perfect for a new mother. You can jump on for 15 minutes, and when the baby cries, you can jump back into action. For that matter, you could walk (rather slowly) on the treadmill with your baby in your arms to put them to sleep. (If you feel you can do that safely... I never tried. But I certainly did a lot of walking with my babies strapped to me.)

As for thigh size: this is a function of your genetics and your %BF. There's nothing you can do about your genetics, but you can lower your %BF primarily by dieting. Jogging helps as well to tone things up. The combination of the two is the winning ticket.

No, that was answered.
  • Coffee_addict22
    Coffee_addict22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @Jthanmyfitnesspal this is super helpful! thank you!

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It's summer. Take advantage of the nice weather and go outside. Run indoors when it's snowing.

If you absolutely cannot run outside, then put on a TV show then will keep you engaged, something you get wrapped into. It'll keep your mind busy. I also cover the numbers on the treadmill with a towel so I'm not starting at them.

Oh, and no, running on an incline does not make your thighs bulky. Eating too much makes your thighs bulky.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    any tips on not getting bored while running on the treadmill lol I was only able to run a mile and a half because I got so bored.

Some ideas:
    you can use a virtual running world if you have a tablet, zwift is currently free and gives you a VR environment to run in. It's a bit of fun.
    I like running intervals rather than steady state running to alleviate the monotony, you could use a free interval app and create some interval workouts. There are a ton of these on Pinterest as well.
    There are several free treadmill workouts on youtube you could follow, thegymbox have a few good ones.

Of course, none of these trump running on an early Summers morning,whilst the rest of the world is still asleep and the birds are singing and the cool air moves over you.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Running won't bulk you, carry on.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    It's summer. Take advantage of the nice weather and go outside. Run indoors when it's snowing.

In opposite land! I head outdoors in the SoCal winter and hit the gym treadmill all summer :smiley:

Yeppers :p
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide if your thighs get too bulky from running. In most cases, that won't be the case, but no one here knows what you consider bulky vs slim. I say run, manage your diet/intake, and monitor your progress. If you don't like what you see, then change something. But no reason to worry about something that isn't even a problem.

As for not getting bored - distract yourself. Music, TV/movies, audiobooks, or running outside. You'll have to see what you like/don't like.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Here in NE today, in the height of summer, we have pouring rain. It's the treadmill or get really freeking wet!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Here in NE today, in the height of summer, we have pouring rain. It's the treadmill or get really freeking wet!

we get freakin wet
    c8xfas5dnucq.png

OP: i would only watch certain shows on the treadmill. like only person of interest so if i wanted to know what happened next, i would have to hop on the treadmill.
    i find mysteries and action keep me distracted.

you will not get bulky unless it is your genetics to do so. and likely you will not build enough muscle to achieve bulkiness if it is your genetics
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I play poker on my iPad. I run when I fold and walk when I play. Passes the time