Ketogenic Diet

Options
harley0269
harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
Does anyone know anything about KETOGENIC DIET?
I just watched "The Magic Pill" on Netflix & it was AMAZING! ! I want to try this to see if it will help me, but I don't know where to start.
Looking for information on it & a starting point. Any help would be most appreciated.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What do you need help with that can be helped with a keto way of eating?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of books and resources out there for more info. Keto Clarity, Ketogenic Bible, Atkins (phase 1), and the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living are great resources. There are many helpful blogs like Peter Attia, Tuition Nutrition, Diagnosis Diet, or Fung's IDM blog (if you are a diabetic interested in fasting).

Also, the Keto and Low Carber Daily MFP groups have a tonne of info.

If you decide to start, the easiest thing to do is cut way back on refined and highly processed carbs first - foods with flour, sugar, and starches.they cut back on sugary fruit and starchy root vegetables. You should be left with ,eat, seafood, eggs, seeds, nuts, veggies, dairy and some fruit for the bulk of your diet.
  • melpo6
    melpo6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got started with the book “Simply Keto” which breaks down almost every question you could possibly have. It is a beautiful book that, in our home, we call the Keto Bible. I take this thing everywhere with me and use a TON of the receipes. Suzanne Ryan makes it enjoyable.

P.S. I decided to check out that documentary after a few weeks of Keto and made my boyfriend - who was supportive but skeptical - watch it and it changed his mind as well. He’s going to be giving it a go as well!
  • harley0269
    Options
    The keto diet is as healthy a diet as you can choose, but it’s best to go into t with your eyes open, so great job on asking for info on it before making your decision.

The information from nvmomketo above is probably the best place to start.

Keto doesn’t suit everyone, just like calorie/counting moderation doesn’t suit everyone. So give it a go for a month and see how you get on with it. I’m sure after a month you will know if it’s something that suits you or not.

Good luck OP

Thank you! That's what I'm going to do!
  • harley0269
    Options
    melpo6 wrote: »
    I got started with the book “Simply Keto” which breaks down almost every question you could possibly have. It is a beautiful book that, in our home, we call the Keto Bible. I take this thing everywhere with me and use a TON of the receipes. Suzanne Ryan makes it enjoyable.

P.S. I decided to check out that documentary after a few weeks of Keto and made my boyfriend - who was supportive but skeptical - watch it and it changed his mind as well. He’s going to be giving it a go as well!

Thank you! I will have to check out that book as well :smiley:
  • harley0269
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    There are a lot of books and resources out there for more info. Keto Clarity, Ketogenic Bible, Atkins (phase 1), and the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living are great resources. There are many helpful blogs like Peter Attia, Tuition Nutrition, Diagnosis Diet, or Fung's IDM blog (if you are a diabetic interested in fasting).

If you decide to start, the easiest thing to do is cut way back on refined and highly processed carbs first - foods with flour, sugar, and starches.they cut back on sugary fruit and starchy root vegetables. You should be left with ,eat, seafood, eggs, seeds, nuts, veggies, dairy and some fruit for the bulk of your diet.

Thank you so much! I sent you a friend request. I could really use the support on this journey
  • harley0269
    Options

I have many medical problems & I'm in menapaus. I've been in a clean eating & organic lifestyle, but I've stalled on my weightloss. Could be my meds, could be my body. All I know is what used to work isn't working any longer. Time to change things up a bit, but still remain close to my core beliefs/lifestyle.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You can make something "oatmealish" with hemp hearts and peanut butter. But be mindful of the calories as this would be quite calorie dense.
  • harley0269
    Options
    One should never make such decisions based on a "documentary" they saw on Netflix.

I totally understand what your saying. I'm not a fad diet kinda person. But some things in there just clicked & gave me that ah ha moment. Every journey begins with that first step. How would I know if it would OR wouldn't work for me if I don't try?
  • harley0269
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    If keto works for you it can be a great way to lose weight and there are some people who continue eating that way for years and years.

But I wouldn't base my decision on whether to try it on a film from Netflix (it really is not a documentary). Have a read through this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10673907/the-magic-pill-netflix-doc/p1

Thank you for the link! I've just checked it out. It's good to get both sides of a story before making a decision. I'm still going to try it tho, because it's close to my clean eating organic lifestyle. I really need something different (now that I'm in menapaus) to get me over this long plateau I've been on. And cutting back the carbs may be the answer I've been looking for
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    harley0269 wrote: »

I have many medical problems & I'm in menapaus. I've been in a clean eating & organic lifestyle, but I've stalled on my weightloss. Could be my meds, could be my body. All I know is what used to work isn't working any longer. Time to change things up a bit, but still remain close to my core beliefs/lifestyle.

How do you determine your intake? Are you guesstimating or measuring portions with cups? Or do you use a food scale?
  • harley0269
    Options
    I measure my foods & I use a food scale. I've been going by what mfp has told me to do. Which worked for me for a very long time. But like I said, I've been stalled for a long while now.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    harley0269 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thank you so much! I sent you a friend request. I could really use the support on this journey

Sure, but I'm not a very good friend. I don't check it too often.

The low Carber Daily and Keto MFP groups are great sources of support. The LCD group in particular has a great launch pad for newbies.

Good luck.
  • harley0269
    Options
    Sincerely Thank you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are your goals (even outside of weightloss)? Do you exercise? Also, knowing the types of foods that satiate you?

If you want, as you firgure this out, slowly decrease carbs to see how it impacts your hunger and see how you respond.

Ultimately, its about finding a suitable diet that supports your goals. Understanding your goals and figuring out a path to support that is important, and often overlooked.

Also, as you decrease carbs, you need to increase sodium.