Logging food today to eat tomorrow

So I've got about 800 calories left after exercise but I don't like eating after a certain time can I log food on today's date and eat it tomorrow? Do people do that?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Why don't you like eating after a certain time? Does it make you feel physically uncomfortable, or is it a belief that you shouldn't eat after that time? If it's the latter, don't worry--there's no truth to the idea that you shouldn't eat at night.

You can save calories for the next day, and many people do this, but 800 is a lot to have left over. I wouldn't recommend leaving that many calories at the end of the day very often. I would personally not feel very good if I under-ate by that amount.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I don't do that. But I do look at my weekly average over my daily. So you'd be 800 short today, and 800 over tomorrow but your weekly average will be good.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I only do that when I know I will be going way over the following day. I basically average two days into one. So if I'm planning on going out to my favorite restaurant with friends on a Saturday, knowing I will be ordering the brisket-bacon burger. I'll eat less on Friday and log half the burger I'll be having on Saturday. Then Saturday, I'll eat the burger but log the other half. This keeps MFP from telling me that I'm eating too little on Friday & too much on Saturday, and I know that for the week I am still in an overall deficit.

Depending on how many calories you normally consume should dictate the answer. If your daily goal including exercise is 1600 than leaving 800 is definitely not okay. Eat a pack of poptarts or some pb or cookies or cheese or avocado or chocolate or steak... steak is great, anything to bump up the number. Unless you are sick or this is happening once or twice a year then it might not matter so much.

If you are eating 2400-3200 calories then leaving 800 to spare is alot but only 1/3-1/4 of your daily amount so on rare occurances where you aren't hungry or like VUA21 said where you bank some calories for a special occasion.

If this is happening frequently you should reexamine how you are measuring to make sure you aren't overeating, how you are measuring your exercise to see if you aren't overestimating calories burned and/or see a dr if you regularly struggling to eat back 800 calories.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    That's a lot of calories to leave on the table. Be sure you're getting adequate nutrition for your exercise and activity level.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    So I've got about 800 calories left after exercise but I don't like eating after a certain time can I log food on today's date and eat it tomorrow? Do people do that?

Sure, I've done that. Not for 800 calories worth, but yes I have redistributed food. I prefer to redistribute exercise though. You could put some of your exercise calories on tomorrow.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Depending on how many calories you normally consume should dictate the answer. If your daily goal including exercise is 1600 than leaving 800 is definitely not okay. Eat a pack of poptarts or some pb or cookies or cheese or avocado or chocolate or steak... steak is great, anything to bump up the number. Unless you are sick or this is happening once or twice a year then it might not matter so much.

If you are eating 2400-3200 calories then leaving 800 to spare is alot but only 1/3-1/4 of your daily amount so on rare occurances where you aren't hungry or like VUA21 said where you bank some calories for a special occasion.

If this is happening frequently you should reexamine how you are measuring to make sure you aren't overeating, how you are measuring your exercise to see if you aren't overestimating calories burned and/or see a dr if you regularly struggling to eat back 800 calories.

That is way over cautious thinking IMO. Assuming the OP doesn't feel weak/low or have the urge to overeat the next day leaving half her calories for the next day shouldn't be a problem. People following that 5:2 business eat 500-600 twice a week.

I have 2 to 3 low calorie/appetite days a month. This is normal for me and has been for years. I do set a calorie minimum for myself because I don't eat breakfast and the additional delay makes me feel low the next day if I don't eat enough.

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

That is way over cautious thinking IMO. Assuming the OP doesn't feel weak/low or have the urge to overeat the next day leaving half her calories for the next day shouldn't be a problem. People following that 5:2 business eat 500-600 twice a week.

I have 2 to 3 low calorie/appetite days a month. This is normal for me and has been for years. I do set a calorie minimum for myself because I don't eat breakfast and the additional delay makes me feel low the next day if I don't eat enough.

Yes I realize people do IF but they eat enough calories in a week to balance out. If the OP is regularly under eating, they might not be hitting enough calories for the week.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Yes I realize people do IF but they eat enough calories in a week to balance out. If the OP is regularly under eating, they might not be hitting enough calories for the week.

The OP specifically mentioned eating the calories the next day and never mentioned this was a habit. The only "odd" thing was not wanting to eat after a certain time but I am the same way. Between acid reflux and having trouble sleeping if I eat too close to bedtime I have a cut off time too.

I am opposed to telling someone else what the rules are if there is no reason to suspect ongoing harm. The reason why flexible eating appeals to many of us is in the name and it is not just about what kind of food we can eat.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Having a very large deficit and eating below the healthy minimum frequently is bad; occasionally have a very low day, even if you don't make up for it, is okay.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I tend to not have an appetite on days I workout hard especially in the evening but I'll be hungry the next day.

I regularly roll several hundred calories to the next day when this happens. Never had any adverse effects. Your body doesn't work on a 24 hour clock and doesn't reset at midnight.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    OP I think you are focusing way too much on they day the calories are burned. I get it, you don't want to see it on the screen saying that you went over for the day when you banked calories from the day before, but as long as you know you have the extra calories, and you are in the deficit you want to be in for the week it doesn't matter what day you log the food or exercise on, it all evens out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    My activity level is set to sedentary since outside of intentional exercise iam sedentary I never said the 800 calories was purely from my kickboxing class. But it doesn't matter now I didn't log what I was going to eat and didn't have it today either and now Fitbit is being a dick again not syncing

So you've just not eaten any of your exercise cals?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    I had something after my fitness class at 6pm I think my diary shows well enough that I do eat some of my "earned" calories back