Keto diet

Options
Anyone have any pro tips for someone just starting the keto lifestyle. I know you’re suppose to eat mainly good fats but I rather not eat red meat. Is just chicken and Salmon good sources ?

Replies

• SparkyJess3
    SparkyJess3 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hey hun! I've been doing keto on and off for about 6 months now. Yes, mainly healthy fats such as olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, real butter, etc... meats can be pretty much anything you want. Most say chicken thighs because they are more fatty than breasts, but I hate chicken thighs LOL I usually do chicken, tuna, bacon, ham and turkey for my meats. I have lost 30 lbs...for go was 20 lbs in a little less than 2 months and I'm on my second round now...gained back about 5 pounds of the 20 I lost but that was after 3 months and I am now down 10 pounds in 2 weeks! It really works...just make sure you are getting your good veggies in too!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    ground turkey, eggs, chicken, bacon, pork chops, most fish, avocados, most cheeses, olive oil (though I prefer grapeseed oil because it does not affect the taste of what I'm cooking), most dressings if you moderate the use. Its really not that hard. I just re-started keto after a looooong time away from it, and I don't miss bread or sugar really. I found some great bread that is super low carb (1g per slice) but it is $8 a loaf.... so that wont be a regular thing.

https://ketosizeme.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Printable-List-of-the-Carbs-In-Foods.pdf

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The key thing with keto is to keep carbs low, typically under 50 g. Protein and fat can vary a lot. With leaner meats you may end up with a higher protein macro but that should be fine - protein is quite satiating anyways.

You can even do vegetarian or vegan keto if you want (or Mediterranean or paleo or IIFYM or whatever ;) ).

Remember to increase sodium to at least 3000 to 5000 mg (2300 mg= 1 tsp salt) by drinking salty broth, eating salt or salt tablets, making salty keto-ade with Mio, drinking pickle juice and salting your food liberally. If you get headaches, fatigue, brain fog, muscle weakness or spasms then you know that you need more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You certainly don't have to eat read meats. And realistically, eating foods that you enjoy is really the key to success. So include the types of meats you enjoy, while cooking in oils/butter, will help give you a balance of fats and protein. And then focus in getting dark leafy greens to help ensure you get adequate potassium and magnesium.
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You can eat high carbs and lose the same or more weight in the same time period. Don’t feel like you “must” restrict yourself to this “lifestyle”.
  • CristinaAnne03
    CristinaAnne03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend has been keto for 2 months now, what he loves about it is how he doesn't really feel like he is dieting and that hes found a lot of really good recipes. I wouldn't say I am keto but I think because I eat with him so much I am deff close to low carb. I think to stick with it you should really invest in finding some fun recipes! there are so many good things to make out there that are high in good fats and protein.